HiRez Poll Genesis - NURSERY CRYME [SACD] (UK)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - NURSERY CRYME

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Sonics, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD released in Europe and Japan. (y):phones(n)

If you care to comment on the US DVD release, please make note of that in your posting.

Also, those who did get the SACD release let us know where you got it if you feel so inclined.

Scan is of the back of the jewel box, as the front cover graphic is identical to the CD only release of this title.

Attachments

• gen-nursery back.jpg
    gen-nursery back.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 272
I'm surprised that there's so little chatter for this great album. Nursery Cryme is the first of an amazing stretch of Genesis LPs. The 5.1 mix is very well done with Fountain of Salmacis sounding particularly sweet. 10

Here’s a pic of the cover artist, Paul Whitehead, I took in 2012. Lovely chap.

2012-06-23 Paul Whitehead.jpg

This is the first truly great Genesis album, starting off with the first truly great Genesis song "The Musical Box".

Even though this album was recorded and mixed on 8-track tape (instead of 16, 24, etc like later albums), the material is extremely well suited for surround, and Nick Davis does a great job of bringing out the best in the material.
In "The Musical Box", the guitars and vocals swirl around all channels, and the impact when the full band kicks in is truly felt. Phil Collins and Steve Hackett joining Genesis was probably the best thing that ever happened to the group as they truly came together, and both men brought such a strong musicianship to the group.
Love Phil's vocals on "For Absent Friends", and the acoustic guitars fit nicely in the surrounds on that one.
"Return of the Giant Hogweed" involves a little front to back panning, but it's extremely effective, with Tony's keys on one side, and Steve's guitars on the other.
The ending of "Hogweed" (Like "The Musical Box") shows off Phil's amazing drumming abilities as well.
The beautiful "Seven Stones" follows, filled with wonderful bits of Mellotron, then comes "Harold the Barrel". On this remix you can definitely hear a clearer distinction between Peter's vocal and Phil's vocal, though Phil's vocal seems to be the dominant. The vocal echoes in the surround channels are particularly amusing.
Like "For Absent Friends", the brief acoustic "Harlequin" is another wonderful surround showcase before the album builds to the epic finale "The Fountain of Salmacis".
The swells sound really good in surround as do the counter melodies from the vocals. The keyboard solo also dances around the surround channels with great ease.

I originally gave this disc a '10' and I would not go back on that vote for anything! :)

Third morning in a row that I've put on a Genesis album. From the opening notes of "The Musical Box", you know you're in for a treat. Multiple guitar parts are spread around the room. Full use of the surround field on this one. I love having Phil's response vocal during the "she's a lady" section coming from the rear speaker. On "For Absent Friends" (Phil's first lead vocal on a Genesis record) guitars are again spread all over. Phil's vocal sounds very warm coming from up front.

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" starts off with basically nothing coming out of the rears and for a second I was worried, but before you know it, Nick Davis opens up the surround field and everything is nicely positioned. Lead guitar in the rear left, Hammond organ in the rear right. An occasional tambourine part also makes an appearance in the rear right (Nick taking a cue from Eliot Scheiner, perhaps?) The piano/guitar instrumental section in the middle sounds incredibly sweet mixed into stereo in rears. Then Steve's guitar starts flying all over the place. Very, very nice. Things continue nicely in the same vein for "Seven Stones". The louder sections of the song really fill up the room.

"Harold the Barrel" up next. Vocal parts are spread all around on this one to great effect that fit the humor of the song. Banks & Hackett's positions in the rears are reversed from previous songs. "Harlequin" has multiple guitar parts that Davis again spreads around the room and this works very well. Things finish up with "The Fountain of Salmacis." Banks' opening keyboard riff flies around the room. Counterpoint vocals are spread around the surround field. Keyboards and guitar have a duel in the rear speakers. The mellotron swell just before the last verse moves from the front to the rear speakers like a tidal wave. As the last verse kicks in, the whole room is filled up and you consider lowering the volume because the neighbors might be calling the cops on you.

What can I say? Nick Davis really hit the ball out of the park on this one. Very active, immersive mix. Fidelity is pretty crisp considering the age of the tapes. My only gripe here would be (as mentioned in a comment above) that Rutherford's bass seems to get buried a bit. Would have liked to have heard it a little higher in the mix.

As for the music, it's the first album by the classic line-up of the band. Peter, Mike & Tony really hit the winning Powerball numbers when they found Phil and Steve. It's the first in a long stretch of albums that would establish the band as one of greatest progressive rock bands of all time. They still have a little maturing left to do as songwriters and musicians, but this album is a letter of intent to announce that they were on a mission. This new line-up is a powerhouse that is ready to take on the world. And although they didn't sell as many records during this period as Yes, Jethro Tull or ELP, they were clearly the artistic equal of any of those bands.

This is simply an amazing disc. Can't rate it anything less than a 10.

I was a Peter Gabriel fan from his first album on and was into prog rock, but I never really took to Genesis. A few years back I picked up the SACD of Nursery Cryme along with Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound, and have really enjoyed all of them. Cryme sports complex and involving arrangements that really shine in surround. A solid 9 for music and mix.

Just picked up the 1970 - 1975 box yesterday and am giving Nursery Cryme a spin. The 5.1 mix isn't quite as good as Trespass, but since the music is better, I'm not complaining. The field is immersive, that pastoral vibe established with the previous LP is still present, and the recording's natural dynamics have been preserved. Gabriel is coming into his own here, and the addition of Hackett and Collins is just what the band needed to kick them up a notch. Another 9.

I just finished listening to the US DVD of this album and i'd give it a 10 if there was a poll for that version.Interesting thing is I don't remember hearing this album before even i've had the box since it came out.

I have voted a strong 8.
Mastering could be gentler.
All parts clear and well-balanced, to my taste.

I've read complaints that Steve Hackett was mixed down on some of these early Genesis 5.1 albums. I don't hear evidence of that on this one.
Does anyone have any specific examples?

Very cool, ultra-classic album.

I bought all the Genesis boxes, at the very start of my journey into multichannel discs ten years ago - after I'd heard the blu-ray audio of Selling England By The Pound. I have no idea if a blu-ray audio, instead of a SACD, would give a deeper, richer sound on Nursery Cryme - but that is certainly the case with Selling England By The Pound. I really enjoy listening to this - so an 8.

Back