DVD/DTS Poll Genesis - Seconds Out [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Genesis- SECONDS OUT

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Genesis - Seconds Out (DTS2496 & Dolby 5.1)(y)(n)

Attachments

• 10seconds.jpg
    10seconds.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 876
Last edited:
I have loved this album since my sophomore year of high school when it came out. Easily in my top 10 albums of all time and certainly top 5 live albums. That being said, this was like listening to it for the first time all over again and being BLOWN AWAY just like 32 years ago!!!

The mix brings out so much of the beauty of the performances and the sounds that were created I was literally speechless at points.

Obviously this is not a really aggressive surround mix with things flying all around but it sounds huge. Phil's voice on tracks like Carpet Crawlers and Afterglow sound like you are standing in front of him on the stage. Supper's Ready, always a treat for me, and this being my favorite version, gave me chills. There are a couple of little guitar tricks where it circles around you at points. Clever and not gimmicky. And never have the Moog Taurus Bass Pedals sounded better. When they kick in they give the sub enough of a workout without being overpowering. One note... the point where Phil says "Supper's Ready" and the crowd goes crazy before the song is, sadly, gone. No biggie really but I missed it. The rest of the disc is just as powerful and IMO the mix is great.

I give it a 10!! I would give it 11 or 12 but it's not available in lossless form.:D

Quick question...
What the hell happened to Steve Hackett's haunting and playful guitar solo in "I know what I like"??? It's ridiculously quiet all throughout...you can't even hear it???
Was it Tony Banks' involvement?
Anyway, a big expectation crushed...hmmm

Bob Romano - How do your rate the earlier SACDs?

I love natural EQ and very wide dynamics. The earlier Genesis SACDs are textbook examples of compression and modern EQ. Some love them, I loathed them. Do you think I'm likely to enjoy my old CD more than this new release?

Michael

Overdub alert:
I could hear some PC rerecording of his vocals in "Squonk" and others (Cinema Show?)
Gone also are phil's presentation of "Supper's Ready".

Excellent separation on the duelling drumsets.

40 yard penalty for lowering to a whisper Steve's solo on "I know what i like", it was one of the moments I was looking for the most.

Hm, sounds like another revisionist edition....

Bob Romano: Also interested in this question: "The earlier Genesis SACDs are textbook examples of compression and modern EQ. Some love them, I loathed them. Do you think I'm likely to enjoy my old CD more than this new release?"

Bad bad bad! Sorry, I'm not a real audiophile, but the 5.1 mix of Seconds Out really demolished this album for me. The set has long been a super favorite of mine and somehow, even with the better sonic fidelity, the 5.1 mix somehow took the "magic" away from the sound. The prior stereo mixes made it sound like an "event," with lots of mystery and walls of textured sound. Now, it's just a loud concert. Hackett's subtle guitar (e.g. Carpet Crawlers) is criminally buried. Seems like they wanted to crystalize and bring to the forefront vocals and drums. (hmmm, Phil bias?) Drums do sound really nice and rich though -- you can definitely hear the distinction between the two drum sets / players. Nice to hear Rutheford's bass popping though, and not muddy blend like past mixes. Sorry, but I'm going back to my 1997 stereo cds.

-1 for being lossy.
-3 for burying Steve Hackett's guitar (Tony Banks, you are gathering up some really bad karma!), and for editing out Phil's introductions-especially in "Supper's Ready".
Nice replica of the LP cover.
Really good mix except for the previously mentioned subjects..

Who doesn’t love Paris in the springtime? Great album. The mix is not ultra-discrete but still quite good for a live recording. Many elements lean towards the rears providing a more immersive experience than just crowd noise and hall reverb (although I still would have welcomed more separation). The double drum kit sections sound fabulous and the bass pedals send shivers down the spine. As with the studio albums lead vocal is isolated in center channel throughout. 9

Indeed! IMHO these performances are largely superior to their studio versions. This is especially true of the Trick of the Tail songs; they go from tentative to fully confident here. Powerful band in one of their peak moments. Cinema Show, Suppers Ready, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight all fulfill their promise and then some.

Relatedly I got my Taurus pedals back about 10 days ago and it feels like a limb re-attached! Now to get this work travel out of the way.....

Keep Calm and Have Patience

Indeed! IMHO these performances are largely superior to their studio versions. This is especially true of the Trick of the Tail songs; they go from tentative to fully confident here. Powerful band in one of their peak moments. Cinema Show, Suppers Ready, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight all fulfill their promise and then some.

Hmm, that must be a special edition....

Think I still prefer the studio versions of most of these ...where you can actually hear Steve Hackett (and the instrumental coda he wrote for Dance on a Volcano...which they only ever played in full on the ToaT tour..)

Perhaps. The Hackett levels not withstanding. . The Trick songs (Squonk, Robbery, Assault & Battery) are pretty stiff in the studio versions and have decidedly more swing played live.

Much in the same way that Freewill by Rush is stiff as a board in the studio and the Exit Stage Left live version is simply astonishing in energy and perfection.

Keep Calm and Have Patience

Baggy went with a 9. IMO, this show sounds really great. I don't have any insight in to who was mixed down or whatever, but the songs all work for me.
If there is a missing solo here or there, that's sad. But you can hear it on Genesis Revisited, at least.

I recommend getting this if you're a Genesis fan! The Taurus Pedals kick ass, per usual!

Baggy went with a 9. IMO, this show sounds really great. I don't have any insight in to who was mixed down or whatever, but the songs all work for me.
If there is a missing solo here or there, that's sad. But you can hear it on Genesis Revisited, at least.

I recommend getting this if you're a Genesis fan! The Taurus Pedals kick ass, per usual!

Indeed, the bass energy is HUGE; I have to cut it back by a good measure in the car to keep the tremors to a minimum. ;)

My Taurus pedals have become flaky again so back to the shop with a 3-4 month wait...

Back