HiRez Poll Genesis - SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND [SACD/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/BDA of Genesis - SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD released in Europe and Japan, and the BluRay Audio disc released in 2015. This album was also released in the US as a DVD-V disc included with a CD.

If you care to comment on the US DVD release, please make note of that in your posting.

Also, those who did get the SACD release let us know where you got it if you feel so inclined.

Scan is of the back of the SACD jewel box, as the front cover graphic is identical to the CD only release of this title.

(y):phones(n)

Attachments

• gen-selling england back.jpg
    gen-selling england back.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 789
First: i am not a Peter Gabriel fan, never been and never be.
However, SEBTP is the kind og album that had become mandatory for everyone in Italy - don't forget that Italy was the first land in which Genesis hit big.
So, SEBTP has always been a "classic" prog rock album here and among the people of my age, back in the 70s, you could be very sure that everyone knew at least three things:
- the chorus of "hey jude"
- the intro of "smoke on the water" (live version)
- where was the line "can you tell me where my country lies?".

OK, let's cut the memories... excellent mix, very involving. Despite PG, i still love half of this album.
Compared to the first boxset (trick...abacab) the sound is much more warm with the dts.
Too bad they didn't release it in the 70s.
A solid 9.

A 9 for me, I'm a huge fan of Genesis especially PG era.
I know every note on this record and if you know what I mean you will notice they took different takes (as the old quad era) on some vocal parts (i.e. the phrase "here cmes the cavalry" is a different take)
Bass sound is compressed so no full warm sound as the original release sadly.
Surround mix opens a lot this mix which was originally too "shy" on effects

The Genesis 70-75 disks seem to be better than the 76-82 disks in terms of the mix. Not so "bright", still not a perfect 10 though.

I'm very familiar with SEBTP. I liked the 5.1 mix the first time I heard it.

A very favorite album of mine. So I have been partial & given a 10. Contains some powerful bass.

Probably my favorite SACD to listen to in the 1970-1975 box set (The Lamb doesn't count since I watch the DVD of that one for the accompanying visual presentation)

VERY strong surround mix with some of the best material Genesis ever wrote and recorded. All tracks have musical and mix highlights (except for maybe "After the Ordeal") "Aisle of Plenty", which closes the album, is particularly fun in surround, as are also the acoustic moments in "The Cinema Show" & "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight". The Bonus DVD also has one of the best interviews on any album in the remix series. A solid '10' :)

For those of you who don't have the SACD of this mix (or even the DVD for that matter), it's being released on HFPA Blu-Ray disc in January.

Genesis-News.com is reporting that all of the Genesis albums will be released on the HFPA format. There will be no extras on the discs, just the Stereo and 5.1 Surround Remixes in High-Res.

I'll get it to try out the new HFPA format for sure and I recommend you all check it out too! :)

I've been listening to the blu-ray. This is my first time ever hearing this album. It is wonderful music. I'm looking forward to the rest of the albums coming out on blu-ray this year to see what other Genesis albums I can get into. I have Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance on dvd but blu-ray should be so much better. And of course there are 13 other albums to hear.

The fidelity on this one is great - nice and clear; not too bright. The mix, from at least one comment I've seen, is the same as the sacd. It's not super discrete meaning that the sound is coming from all around you but it's not always easy to pinpoint the exact speaker that a particular sound is coming from. Bottom line: it works very well. The mix is enjoyable. A 10.

I'll not describe the album since one either likes that sort of music or not, I will say:

I bought the SACD Box Set from England and I consider it to be a musical treasure of the highest value.

GENESIS was a band that grew during a time when the recording technology was growing/evolving as well. As Genesis grew and wrote/produced better music the recording tech grew almost as if in sync. This box set really captures that growth both musically & technically. SEBTP was recorded when analog multi-track was really coming in to its own as a high fidelity system. People take for granted now the recording tech, but back then this album represented a new high water mark for fidelity & sonic clarity.

I bought the LP long ago and wore it out, as well as several versions of CDs, others have found various faults with the 5.1 remix, I have not. To me it has delivered frankly, a startling new level of clarity & separation between instruments and has mellowed a bit and made warmer, Peter Gabriel's rather husky voice.

The 5.1 SACD presents this exceptional musical work like never before. For me, a perfect 10. We should be so lucky to get all our favorite music presented in 5.1 such as this.

I know what I like and it is this SACD.

This is one of my all-time favorite LPs and this 5.1 mix is very well done indeed. 10

I saw Steve Hackett a few nights ago on his Genesis Extended tour. I'm happy to report that the show included the first 3 tracks from this album.

Yes, yes and yes! I saw Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited in Atlanta on Monday night and it was terrific. I was naughty and recorded a video of the last three minutes of Firth Of Fifth which includes one of Steve's best solo moments ever.

As far as the Genesis SACD releases go, the Gabriel box (last of the three done) fares the best overall. Dream come true. I expect to have the Blu Ray of this one shortly because that in itself is amazing!

I've been listening to the blu-ray. This is my first time ever hearing this album. It is wonderful music.

Played this for the first time today. It's on Repeat. Excellent music and excellent sound. Not bright at all. And solid bass. Lots of dynamic range. The best sounding Blu-ray audio so far. Will be hard to beat.

I just ordered the Blu Ray Audio of this. Not a Gabriel fan whatsoever but hoping this album lives up to the hype.

Hey All,

I do not have the capability to extract waveforms from surround discs. Can I please ask someone out there to compare the song Firth of Fifth between the SACD and the DVD-Audio? I have listened to both versions, and to my ears the DVD-Audio is better. The mixes do not seem identical - or at least the channel gain. The DVD-A seems to be fuller. Comments?

As far as this album in surround, I use it as a demo disc, but I always use the DVD-A version.

Ken

It is not a DVD-A rather a DVD-V with a great DTS 96/24 track. I'm of the same opinion on any number of Genesis tracks. The DTS track avoids the harshness of the SACD IMHO.

Tapatalk

Hey All,
... As far as this album in surround, I use it as a demo disc, but I always use the DVD-A version.

Ken

If you're looking for a demo disc, go with the Blu-ray. It's the best Blu-ray audio disk I've heard so far.

Back