HiRez Poll Genesis - THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY [SACD] (UK)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Sonics, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD released in Europe and Japan. (y):phones(n)

If you care to comment on the US DVD release, please make note of that in your posting.

Also, those who did get the SACD release let us know where you got it if you feel so inclined.

Scan is of the back of the jewel box, as the front cover graphic is identical to the CD only release of this title.

Attachments

• gen-lamb back.jpg
    gen-lamb back.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 736
The ultimate Genesis surround reissue! A genuine 10/10 here!
As the SACD surround information sounds just a tad more metallic to me, I prefer the DVD.
The DVD!! At last you can listen to the Lamb without breaks!
With a slide show doing its best to try to compensate the lack of concert footage. Graet stuff.

In surround! - That's it!

And what great surround sound! Not bright at all - it seems to emphasize the darkness of the album. All the instruments have more air and space to breathe. P. Gabriel's voice is clearly visible in all its alien humanity. And Phil Collins thin pipes sound more delicate than ever. Also Collins' drums sound livelier than ever. Very tastefully they've moved lead guitars, synths and mostly percussions to the rears to great effect. Also very cool some voices of different characters ("Slippermen") literally come creeping from behind. Perfect! The Grand Parade sounds very much fun, more than the original.

Apropos original mix - in my opinion the surround mix sounds very similar in terms of warm sonics. No comparison to the compressed mess of say "Trick".

Curiously I find the second half of the album more interisting this time around. "The waiting room" actually makes sense in surround. As do these ambient interludes. Fantastic stuff - get it now!

Fantastic interviews too. They take their 5o-something minutes to talk about their most controversial "breakup" album...I couldn't ask for more honestly.

The DVD with the slide show and snippets of concert footage has been done really well.

I never really got into this Genesis release - perhaps possibly because I had an old copy on vinyl - but now I'm going to put this one on high rotation!

If there wasn't a story to be told, I could easily whittle this down to a single disc (and I'm talkin' vinyl). A great album, but not one I listen to all the way through very often. Sound is excellent, though.

J. D.

Interesting.....I guess I never voted on the SACD version of this. Great stuff....fun mix and on this box set they did a better job with the mastering. A strong 9 for me.

9. I have all 5 boxes, even though I'm not a rabid fan. Have the archive boxes, too. This is certainly their best album from the Gabriel era. Love the mix and the tunes. I've been listening since '74, when few in the US knew who they were. Some of their early stuff still seems pompous and overblown. IMHO, don't shoot me. This one is elongated, yet it has some KILLER stuff. The title track, Cuckoo Cocoon and The Carpet Crawl alone are worth the price of admission. I popped for the SACD import boxes on these.

Ya gotta get in to get out...

Not a particularly big fan of Genesis, definitly a prefer the Gabriel era, with may be one or two outriders.
of all the Gabriel era albums though this is my least favorite and that includes the first album.
The mix is better than some of the later albums but i feel a Scheiner or Wilson mix would have made this much better. As with all the genesis albums a lost oppertunity surroundwise.

A NO BRAINER 10!!!!
A wet dream come true!!!!
Even though it's hard to get through in one sitting, the slideshow/film bits onthe DTS 96/24 disc make it more interesting.

As mentioned, the slideshow are the ACTUAL slides taht were supposed to have been projected when they performed this onstage..early 70s NYC...
and me being half Puerto Rican (although not a criminal) makes me relate to Rael,,,in spite of his "je*ish" aspect (hey, I got more semitic ancestry than anything else!!! Most of my last names are from je*ish roots)

Nice hard cover too, well worth it!

This is only one of two surround albums that I would prefer a DVD-Video over any other format (except Blu-Ray, of course).
Why?
The Slideshow!
FANTASTIC!
Really enhances the overall listening experience, and the mix is a definite 10! Definitely the best of all the Genesis surround mixes! :)

(BTW, the other album I prefer DVD-V for is Queen's A Night at the Opera)

This is only one of two surround albums that I would prefer a DVD-Video over any other format (except Blu-Ray, of course).
Why?
The Slideshow!
FANTASTIC!
Really enhances the overall listening experience, and the mix is a definite 10! Definitely the best of all the Genesis surround mixes! :)

(BTW, the other album I prefer DVD-V for is Queen's A Night at the Opera)

The slideshow is awesome....wouldn't it be fantastic on a blu-ray with lossless audio!!

It's worth having the '70 to -'75 box set just for this disc (not that there's anything wrong with any of the other albums, in fact far from it); it's superbly well done and an absolute joy for any old (or new) Genesis fan to both listen too and watch. Putting the gig slide show on the DVD was an inspired move. The re-mix is very sensitive to the original and retains the feel for the vast majority of the album. It's also the perfect album on which to get away with both subtle (though discrete) surround along with full-on surround effects (eg on Lifeless Packaging, In the Waiting Room etc.) My rating is a nine. When it's done well (which is to be honest well over 90% of the album) it's superbly, superbly done. But, I find Peter's vocals are a little hot and over-aggressive in quite a few places, especially, for example, on the opening track. This may well have been a limitation of the masters and, I imagine, quite hard to do anything about without changing the character but it's a big enough problem for me to drop a point. That point aside, it breathes a whole new dimension of appeal into an already timeless classic. Superb!

An easy 10 for me. Wonderful music and mix. And the slideshow/video on the DVD-V is superb.

An easy 10 for me. Wonderful music and mix. And the slideshow/video on the DVD-V is superb.
never touched DVD in set.
perhaps should try synchronized playback on two players, one for visual, another for sound :)

and yes, 10 from me as well.

Excellent 5.1 sound. Can't imagine limiting my listening to the stereo versions.

Listening for the first time just now. On the DVD the DTS seems smoother than the Dolby, to me at least. Great mix and the visuals are fantastic! Truly inspired to add the original slide show to the DVD. Does sound a tad harsh in spots. Great low end. Sometimes the drums sound as if they are in the room with me. The Waiting Room is truly a trip in surround. Sometimes something will come up in the rears that startles me, sounding as if someone or something is coming up behind me. This album is truly much much better in surround than stereo. What a magnificent artistic achievement brought to new and better life! There are clips of the band playing and various stills as well during the program. As another post described, I too like second half more than ever before. In stereo I'd often stop listening after The Chamber of 32 Doors. I have to give the DVD a 9 just because the sound does display some harshness. Not sure if it's the master or the mastering but either way it's there. Had to turn it down a bit to alleviate that somewhat. Next up the SACD version. Bought the 70-75 box off eBay a few months ago and am a little sheepish over how much I paid for it.

Last edited:
Listened to the SACD #1 - the sound is definitely better on the SACD but then no visuals. Much smoother and hi-rez sounding without the harshness mentioned in my previous post. Have to give the SACD a 10 but since I already voted the DVD a 9 it won't figure in the average. Rats!

all the best...

~dm

Listened to the SACD #1 - the sound is definitely better on the SACD but then no visuals. Much smoother and hi-rez sounding without the harshness mentioned in my previous post. Have to give the SACD a 10 but since I already voted the DVD a 9 it won't figure in the average. Rats!

all the best...

~dm

Comments are very important too, so thanks for the follow-up.

Back