HiRez Poll Genesis - TRESPASS [SACD] (UK)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - TRESPASS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Sonics, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD released in Europe and Japan. (y):phones(n)

If you care to comment on the US DVD release, please make note of that in your posting.

Also, those who did get the SACD release let us know where you got it if you feel so inclined.

Scan is of the back of the jewel box, as the front cover graphic is identical to the CD only release of this title.

Attachments

• gen-trespass back.jpg
    gen-trespass back.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 377
This is the Genesis I never heard before. Guitarist Anthony Phillips was kind of the band leader, Phil Collins and Steve Hackett only joined after he quit.
Interesting stuff for who likes the 70s progrock style.
The surround mixes of this whole series are good.

I thought it was a great album tastefully re-done.
I was always a big fan of the Gabriel years anyway and it's
nice to see the great job they did in this set.

I didn't notice much difference between the DVD and SACD versions with
respect to the mix. Obviously there is a difference in the sonic quality between the DD and the DTS but between the DTS and the SACD it's
pretty solid.

I have the Japanese set with the SACD / NTSC DVD discs.

-Bob

The big surprise here is how good John Mayhew's drumming sounds. Overall, this disc made me love this album in a way I never had before. A solid 10!

J. D.

A solid 10.
In spite of being a hardcore Genesis fan since 1982 (although I remember hearing "Your own special way" when it came out and really liking it), I had NEVER bought/listened this LP(I dismissed it somehow), and I even had that first LP!!!!
So, not being familiar with it, I was amazed at how great everything sounds and how good Ant was on gtr...
A pleasant surprise, which I like to play often.....

I grew up listening to this album (and the rest of the early Genesis catalogue) on vinyl and tape and know it inside out. I was completely blown away by just how good this surround re-mix/re-master sounds on SACD. But even more than that I'm incredibly impressed with how Nick Davis has managed to freshen and clean up the sound, transferring it perfectly to the 5.1 soundscape whilst staying true to the spirit and vibe of the original album. No mean feat, given that it must have been recorded on, what, 16 tracks back in the day? The SACD sounds like it's been re-recorded specially on modern kit just a few years ago rather than forty years ago (boy, that makes me feel old!) The use of the surround field is superb, in fact incredible considering the limitations of the source material. Gabriel's vocals are up front and clear, but retain the vulnerability that's key to the feel of the album. The layering and harmonies are tastefully positioned and mixed. The percussion deserves special mention; I have no idea how many tracks the drum parts were recorded on but I'm pretty sure that it must have been less than the number of drums/cymbals that now seem to have their own position and separation in the mix. Not sure how Nick has achieved this but it's *very* effective. The clarity and separation of the parts reveal the odd miss timed or strangled note here and there as well as the odd fret "squeek" but these certainly don't detract from the listening experience. All in all; very impressive and a must have for any early Genesis fan.

Oh, nearly forgot (again) - it's a sure fire 10.

All the early albums, especially this one, benefited greatly from 2007 time and budget. Mike Rutherford mentions this in the documentary footage, they were able to really mix it properly for the first time.

Yeah, I like them all up to Duke (I don't particularly like the material after that point.) I think the surround sound mixes of the early and mid material in the box sets are consistently excellent and find it hard to understand the slating they got in some quarters.

I think the slating was mostly due to the ridiculous compression and EQ rather than anything to do with the remixes themselves...

The 76-82 box is practically unlistenable in stereo for that reason, although I still enjoy the surround mixes.

Yeah, I had heard that. I think I must have only ever listened to the boxed sets in surround sound! Will have to give the CD layers a listen if only to see how bad they really are.

This album wins the 'most improved' award in the 1970-1975 box set. There is a radical difference for the better between the original stereo mix and the new 5.1 mix, most notably in Peter Gabriel's voice, where he can now be more clearly understood throughout the whole album.
The 5.1 mix is pretty discrete and robust considering Nick Davis was only working with an 8-track tape. All songs are well-written and performed, though the group would definitely benefit from the addition of Phil Collins and Steve Hackett in the next phase of their career.

Startet now with hearing of all arrived box-sets (SACD/DVD-A)

I'm not familiar with the 70's stuff because of my age :D

I looked a little bit in Wiki to learn from that periode of the band history

So now Trespass is the first one...and it's sounds great. A solid 10.

I really enjoy this LP. You can hear their early style developing and get hints of great things to come. There is a conspicuous lack of whimsy, however, something that was to be a big part of the Gabriel era. The 5.1 mix is quite good and I enjoy the 2007 interviews as well. I haven't listened to the new stereo mix from the SACD for several years. I ended up getting the vinyl set and feel the mastering to be much better than what was done for the SACDs.

Yeah, I like them all up to Duke (I don't particularly like the material after that point.) I think the surround sound mixes of the early and mid material in the box sets are consistently excellent and find it hard to understand the slating they got in some quarters.
I know, I recall the awful reviews of these Gabriel era albums in surround mixes in another forum I read sometimes. The only point made I recall is folks saying that Steven Wilson should have done them, this just after 4 or 5 King Crimson albums arrived to good notices. Like if only Wilson had done the Genesis albums tragedy could have been avoided. Yet reading the Spotlight poll reviews here - I’m seeing that fans of these albums absolutely love them in these 5.1 mixes. Not a word of mention of SW in these polls. I’m sure he’d have loved to do “Lamb” or “Selling England” and maybe someday he’ll get a crack at them. But for now these will do fine right.

The only real downside here is that the US got DD / DTS while Europe got SACD right?

Last edited:
Pulled this one out this morning after not having played it for years. Forgot how great it is. For some reason, I always have it in my head that Nick Davis did an underwhelming job with the Genesis catalog, but this mix is excellent. Nice spread of instruments across the surround field. Immersive but not overbearing. At one point, even Gabriel's lead vocals are sent to the rear channels for nice effect. In terms of fidelity it sounds exceptionally good for something recorded in 1970. Everything is very present and crisp, especially the guitar and drums.

The band is turning a major corner here, veering away from the Bee Gees influenced pop of the first record and towards the progressive rock that would come to later define them. Much of the record is dominated by Anthony Phillips' folky acoustic flourishes, but the LP ends on a bang with an homage to Keith Emerson and The Nice with "The Knife". They're just getting going here, and by the time the album was released they would have a new drummer and guitarist who would help them create some of the defining moments of progressive rock.

It's an easy 10.

IIRC the 'consensus' back when was that Nick Davis did a bad job on Box 1 (Trick-->Abacab) but a good job on Box 2 (Trespass-->Lamb) and the Live box.

Last edited:
Always amazing when we get great 5.1 surround mixes from albums that predate quadraphonic. And it’s really nice that while lots of stories of missing and poorly stored tapes, there are those situations where the multitrack session reels are sitting there in perfectly good condition for a remix. Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Who, Beatles and other artists have gotten some amazing surround mixes performed on their pre-1973 album tapes.

I haven’t compared Trespass 5.1 with the stereo mix but I would not be surprised if there is lots more clarity revealed on the remix.

Back