HiRez Poll Genesis - WE CAN'T DANCE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - WE CAN'T DANCE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release. (y):phones(n)

Attachments

• gen-dance.jpg
    gen-dance.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 351
An absolute winner by all means. A 10 without any hesitation.

I'm in awe of this SACD which I rate to be on the absolute top I've listened to.

Mix is inventive and immersive, and sound fidelity is jaw-dropping.

Btw, on the bonus DVD-V, there is a very interesting document on the recording of the album. Very rare footage of Mike, Tony and Phil demoing the new songs. Lots of shots of mastermind Nick Davies producing and mixing... wow !

What songs are on this? Well maybe just tell me the "hits". Amazon has no info. Where are people buying this from.. I see there are both PAL and NTSC versions.

How about a picture of the back of the case, if the tracks are listed on it?

Overall, the best disc of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. The sound is fuller and more spread out among the surrounds. I really enjoyed "I Can't Dance". It sounds great in surround as though it was recorded with surround in mind. On this one, I thought the surround mix on the DVD sounded better than the SACD. On Invisible Touch it was the other way around.

Either way, these SACDs are a definite upgrade over any of the CDs (remastered or not) that had been previously released. I would recommend them to anyone.

Love the sound of the multichannel mix, and impressed, as with all of the Genesis releases so far, at how well the DTS mix holds up in comparison. I'm only going for 8/10 as i'm not so keen on the music compared to other albums.

Sonically, this is the best one so far. Collins' vocals are not recorded as piercingly bright as in previous titles. Musically, this is also a winner.

Very immersive soundfield with discrete surrounds, better than any of the others in both 1st & 2nd sets. =10

I.M.O. this is the pick of the whole lot....if you only want to buy just one genesis sacd then I think this is the one....some of their best music and a well done mix...

:51banana:

I thought i should get one of these as i don't mind the music and it is surround.
This copy will however most likely be my last from Genesis as the bass has no growling grunt and everything above that is dry and lacks dynamics. This one could be played thru a cheap set up and you would not miss to much sonically.
Content = 9 Mix = 8 Sonics = 5 Total = 7.

After originally buying the CD/DVD version of the box set before I had an SACD player, I was able to get the SACD version of the 1983-1998 box set on amazon for around $60 (a bargain IMO)!
Re-listening to these albums, I hear even more detail from the SACD than I had heard on the DVD (DTS) and this title in particular is the best of this whole box!
I heard an acoustic guitar part on "Never A Time" that I had never heard before along with other elements in other songs. Almost every track makes excellent use of the rear speakers which really made for a great listening experience! :)

My Genesis binge continues, as I ping-pong back and forth between opposite ends of the band's catalog.

The later Genesis albums have a lot of washes from Tony Banks' synthesizers and Nick Davis uses these to create an immersive field from all four corners of the room. Unfortunately, there is not as much hard-panned activity in the rear speakers as there is on some of the early albums, but Davis still makes good use of the surround field during most of this. Some highlights are a nice vocal echo on "No Son of Mine". The percussion on "I Can't Dance" is as active as you would hope/want. "Dreaming While You Sleep" is a real highlight. Everything in the song is mixed more aggressively. "Tell Me Why" has a nice stereo mix of the Rickenbacker 12-string in the rears. A couple of songs don't have as much going on as I would have hoped. "Fading Lights" is my favorite track on the album but the mix isn't as active as some of the others. Fidelity is strong, everything feels very present and clear.

As for the music, the previous album Invisible Touch was my least favorite Genesis album. Even though their progressive material is my favorite era of the band, I didn't mind when they started to make the move towards more mainstream material. "Turn it On Again", "Mama", "Abacab", "Follow You Follow Me" and "No Reply at All" are all songs that I love. I like a lot of Phil's solo stuff and the Mike and the Mechanics albums too. However I felt that the Invisible Touch album really stripped them of their personality and it felt like an attempt to blend in with what was popular at the time. When this album was released I wasn't optimistic, but when I first heard it I was happy to hear that they were backing away from the direction they went with Invisible Touch. "Fading Lights" ranks among my favorite songs of any era of Genesis. And there are other standouts for me as well. However, as this was released in the early 90's, it suffers from something that many albums of that era do: it's too long. Granted, if you've got 70 minutes of solid material I say go for it and fill up that CD. But the extended playing time of CDs combined with vinyl's demise meant everyone was making albums that stretched past the hour mark. Material that once would have been relegated to a single b-side was now an album track. And the band falls into that trap here. "Way of the World" and "Tell Me Why" never really connected with me. I don't think social/political commentary is this band's strong suit. Best to leave that stuff to their old pal Peter. In addition, I felt that one track that did end up as a b-side, "On the Shoreline" was stronger than many album tracks. It's funny to read in many threads here that lots of people call Tony Banks a tyrant who always got his way, however I know that Banks wanted "On the Shoreline" to be on the album and that he hated "Since I Lost You". He obviously didn't get his way this time. :eek:

Anyway, despite my beefs about a few places where I would have liked the mix to have been a bit more active and that I think there are a couple of substandard songs, this was still a very enjoyable listen. I'll shave off half a point for each gripe and give this a 9.

My Genesis binge continues, as I ping-pong back and forth between opposite ends of the band's catalog.

The later Genesis albums have a lot of washes from Tony Banks' synthesizers and Nick Davis uses these to create an immersive field from all four corners of the room. Unfortunately, there is not as much hard-panned activity in the rear speakers as there is on some of the early albums, but Davis still makes good use of the surround field during most of this. Some highlights are a nice vocal echo on "No Son of Mine". The percussion on "I Can't Dance" is as active as you would hope/want. "Dreaming While You Sleep" is a real highlight. Everything in the song is mixed more aggressively. "Tell Me Why" has a nice stereo mix of the Rickenbacker 12-string in the rears. A couple of songs don't have as much going on as I would have hoped. "Fading Lights" is my favorite track on the album but the mix isn't as active as some of the others. Fidelity is strong, everything feels very present and clear.

As for the music, the previous album Invisible Touch was my least favorite Genesis album. Even though their progressive material is my favorite era of the band, I didn't mind when they started to make the move towards more mainstream material. "Turn it On Again", "Mama", "Abacab", "Follow You Follow Me" and "No Reply at All" are all songs that I love. I like a lot of Phil's solo stuff and the Mike and the Mechanics albums too. However I felt that the Invisible Touch album really stripped them of their personality and it felt like an attempt to blend in with what was popular at the time. When this album was released I wasn't optimistic, but when I first heard it I was happy to hear that they were backing away from the direction they went with Invisible Touch. "Fading Lights" ranks among my favorite songs of any era of Genesis. And there are other standouts for me as well. However, as this was released in the early 90's, it suffers from something that many albums of that era do: it's too long. Granted, if you've got 70 minutes of solid material I say go for it and fill up that CD. But the extended playing time of CDs combined with vinyl's demise meant everyone was making albums that stretched past the hour mark. Material that once would have been relegated to a single b-side was now an album track. And the band falls into that trap here. "Way of the World" and "Tell Me Why" never really connected with me. I don't think social/political commentary is this band's strong suit. Best to leave that stuff to their old pal Peter. In addition, I felt that one track that did end up as a b-side, "On the Shoreline" was stronger than many album tracks. It's funny to read in many threads here that lots of people call Tony Banks a tyrant who always got his way, however I know that Banks wanted "On the Shoreline" to be on the album and that he hated "Since I Lost You". He obviously didn't get his way this time. :eek:

Anyway, despite my beefs about a few places where I would have liked the mix to have been a bit more active and that I think there are a couple of substandard songs, this was still a very enjoyable listen. I'll shave off half a point for each gripe and give this a 9.

Agree with your take on this.

I think this is probably the best sounding disc of the bunch. Maybe because it was Nick Davis was the original producer and engineer so he didn’t goose things much?

Ironically, it’s probably the least harsh-sounding. And I too think it was a big step up from “Invisible Touch”, my least favorite of the later period albums. I think it has often gotten unfairly maligned by those who didn’t really give it a fair shot at the time. And it would have been a nice place for the band to end rather than trying to continue on for one more album with a new singer.

Yes, it’s a song or two too long. But if they were all b-sides and bonus tracks, we’d all be wondering where they would fit in on a longer album. Well, maybe over that other forum they’d do that. :)

A “9” from me.

Last edited:
Back