Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rugene

Thinking about this while listening to that superb mix by SW. Is Gentle GIant music is more suitable than other prog rock bands with more separation between the fronts and the rears? Is it the music or the type of mix that Steven has done?

Ranasakawa

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Thinking about this while listening to that superb mix by SW. Is Gentle GIant music is more suitable than other prog rock bands with more separation between the fronts and the rears? Is it the music or the type of mix that Steven has done?
The style of the music definitely suits 5.1 because of the layers of diverse instruments in the sound and mix. I'm absolutely loving it

theCharm

Oppo support says “Sounds like the disc is using a BD-JAVA format that is not compatible with the player. Unfortunately, it is not likely we will be able to resolve the issue.”
Doesn’t play in my Oppo 83 either, but it’s not a Java issue. The disk structure doesn’t even have a JAR file. Something in the top menu opcodes that Oppo doesn’t like.

Gimme 4

Oppo support says “Sounds like the disc is using a BD-JAVA format that is not compatible with the player. Unfortunately, it is not likely we will be able to resolve the issue.”
Seems to me, owner of 3 Oppo 83s, one an SE, if they are still taking these in for repair they should also update the operating system.

Audiowannabee

Seems to me, owner of 3 Oppo 83s, one an SE, if they are still taking these in for repair they should also update the operating system.
Dude were very lucky oppo is still servicing players at all since they stopped production in 2018. Its now 2021 get a newer player.

Gimme 4

Model number of a new one that plays properly decoded HDCD and I'll buy one. I have hundreds of HDCD-encoded CDs. Audio quality is my main bag, dude!

Audiowannabee

Model number of a new one that plays properly decoded HDCD and I'll buy one. I have hundreds of HDCD-encoded CDs. Audio quality is my main bag, dude!
Keep what u got n add another player to ur system shit ive got 3 players connected to mine
Try a cheap Sony x800 but ull need hdmi input ...u know whats happening w the player situation...work it out good luck

kinglewi

I second the x800m2 Sony - affordable and excellent build - there is also a step-up model but it is pricier (but not outrageous). I'm using the Essence Evolve II-4K HDMI DAC to convert the HDMI to analogue into my all analogue multi-channel Decware Zen 6 pre-amp. The Evolve II is using a very decent processor at a very decent price - I'm really pleased with the performance I'm getting out of this my first multi-channel set-up (which I use primarily for audio playback.)

DoctorO

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I picked the original vinyl up at my local Twin Fair department store the week it was released...waay back win. The Atmos mix is beautifully executed, thoroughly engaging without seeming gimmicky. So good that I went shopping and bumped my system up from 9.1 to 11.1 to enjoy it to the max!

Scott M4

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I think the interlocking aspects of their music really suit surround!

halbroome

QQ Supporter
The Atmos mix is beautifully executed, thoroughly engaging without seeming gimmicky. So good that I went shopping and bumped my system up from 9.1 to 11.1 to enjoy it to the max!
I feel it for ya, as I converted my 7.2 wides to 5.4.2 heights with a new DVR for Atmos, and now miss my wides . . . but I'm also missing the desire to either upgrade my AVR again, or convert one of the subs from .2 to .1 for the extra channels. Sigh. Come that lottery win. . . .

timothyemerson

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I voted a 10. Can't add anything that others haven't already mentioned.

Such a great value package. With all of the animation, remixing time, manufacturing costs, how anyone is making any money out of this mystifies me.

Is this what you've all done to correct the quad mix (I found this elsewhere on QQ - I did it and it moves the vocals up front which I'm guessing is more correct)?
1. Move Front Left to Front Right
2. Move Front Right to Rear Right
3. Leave Rear Left where it is
4. Move Rear Right to Front Left

albertop

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I voted a 10. Can't add anything that others haven't already mentioned.

Such a great value package. With all of the animation, remixing time, manufacturing costs, how anyone is making any money out of this mystifies me.

Is this what you've all done to correct the quad mix (I found this elsewhere on QQ - I did it and it moves the vocals up front which I'm guessing is more correct)?
1. Move Front Left to Front Right
2. Move Front Right to Rear Right
3. Leave Rear Left where it is
4. Move Rear Right to Front Left
That’s what I did and I’m pretty sure it’s correct now. A nice quad and a good addition to the 5.1 mix!

Frogmort

I just recently got set up for 7.2.4 with ceiling speakers, and while Yello - Point and the two Booka Shades have lazer sharp overhead usage, I think this Steven Wilson Gentle Giant mix is one of the best ever. Those other amazing mixes use a lot of strictly overhead effects, but this Free Hand Atmos uses all of the surround speakers in more of a concerted way. There is a lot of stuff in the lower surrounds, but occasionally things appear above, below, or in between. I think this is the best musical example of blending all of the speakers, and object placement, that I've ever heard.

NYMo

QQ Supporter
Just had to drop in and say that I've been playing Steves 5.1 mix for the last few months, but after today's listen, I played the Quad mix for the first time and what an absolute "ball tearer" it was !
Fantastic dynamics and the mix really gels, and although it doesn't have the spaciousness of the 5.1, it more than makes up for it in its aggression.

grungeypuss

I gave this a 9 - the only thing that stopped me from giving it a 10 was the track "On Reflection" when it got to the gentler voice in the second verse the vocals nearly disappeared came back then went really quiet again. This is in Atmos not 5.1 (which sounds spectacular) Has anyone else encountered this issue?

AYanguas

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I gave this a 9 - the only thing that stopped me from giving it a 10 was the track "On Reflection" when it got to the gentler voice in the second verse the vocals nearly disappeared came back then went really quiet again. This is in Atmos not 5.1 (which sounds spectacular) Has anyone else encountered this issue?
I hear perfectly well "On Reflection" in the Atmos track. It is one of my favourite tracks since I bought the original vinyl in the 70s, and know it by heart.
Voices sounds exactly the same to me as the original stereo, obviously with the different location for each voice/verse.

At what timestamp do you hear the glitch? Maybe your copy is faulty?