HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - GENTLE GIANT [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gentle Giant- GENTLE GIANT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
This one is... A mixed bag, for me. There are truly wonderful surround moments—some of Wilson's best work—but they are surrounded by disappointingly tame passages and complicated by some strange mixing choices. (The drums are frequently panned in such a way that certain elements of the kit seem to float out into the room, and that really doesn't work for me.) The fidelity is about what I'd expect given this is an album from 1970 without a big budget, which is to say far from hi-fi, but pretty decent and a slight improvement from the original stereo mix. I love Gentle Giant, and while this isn't my favorite album of theirs, it's still great. While the box set is truly wonderful, and the individual digipak in which the Blu-ray resides is quite nice, I have to deduct the packaging point due to this 5.1 mix being locked away in yet another big box.

Mix: 2
Fidelity: 2
Content: 3
Packaging: 0

Total: 7

This one is... A mixed bag, for me. There are truly wonderful surround moments—some of Wilson's best work—but they are surrounded by disappointingly tame passages and complicated by some strange mixing choices. (The drums are frequently panned in such a way that certain elements of the kit seem to float out into the room, and that really doesn't work for me.) The fidelity is about what I'd expect given this is an album from 1970 without a big budget, which is to say far from hi-fi, but pretty decent and a slight improvement from the original stereo mix. I love Gentle Giant, and while this isn't my favorite album of theirs, it's still great. While the box set is truly wonderful, and the individual digipak in which the Blu-ray resides is quite nice, I have to deduct the packaging point due to this 5.1 mix being locked away in yet another big box.

Mix: 2
Fidelity: 2
Content: 3
Packaging: 0

Total: 7
Tell it like it is brother!!

Hard to believe this great album could ever sound better. A great Wilson mix and surprising fidelity. There's lots going on in the mix and you can hear everything individually crystal clear but it never lacks cohesion. Great!

Back