HiRez Poll Gentle Giant - GENTLE GIANT [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Gentle Giant- GENTLE GIANT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 5.1 surround mix of the 1970 debut album from the band Gentle Giant.
This 2019 5.1 surround mix was created by Steven Wilson, and this is the first time that the full album has been available in 5.1 surround. (3 tracks were previously released in 5.1 surround on the 2017 compilation "Three Piece Suite": https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-giant-three-piece-suite-blu-ray-audio.23874/)
Currently the 5.1 surround mix is only available in the gigantic (and expensive!) box set "Unburied Treasure", but one can hope that the 5.1 surround mix will become available in a simpler CD/Blu-Ray configuration next year!

6360-020-outer.jpg

gentle%20giant%20unburied%20treasure%20cover%20art.jpg

Gentle-Giant-box-photo-square-1500.jpg

I love Gentle Giant, I have a bit of Cabin Fever & boredom and its one of my enforced days off, so in a moment of insanity :) (more like a lifetime of!), but I kept going back and looking at it, it looked great, and there is a 5.1 mix to tempt the weak, and its been re-released after I didn't get one of the first batch, and Burning Shed have one of the last 1000......

Well the long and the short of it is ........... I succumbed. So when the 5.1 arrives I'll review it (though I did buy it for all the other stuff as well!).
Do I feel :( about spending £250, nah :devilish: way way more :LB & :SB + a bit of :dance

I love Gentle Giant, I have a bit of Cabin Fever & boredom and its one of my enforced days off, so in a moment of insanity :) (more like a lifetime of!), but I kept going back and looking at it, it looked great, and there is a 5.1 mix to tempt the weak, and its been re-released after I didn't get one of the first batch, and Burning Shed have one of the last 1000......

Well the long and the short of it is ........... I succumbed. So when the 5.1 arrives I'll review it (though I did buy it for all the other stuff as well!).
Do I feel :( about spending £250, nah :devilish: way way more :LB & :SB + a bit of :dance
Maybe you can be the first to provide a vote and review :oops:

Managed to get a disc of the surround mix and I have to say it's one of Steven Wilson's best efforts. Brilliant mix and very immersive. Shame the box is so expensive as I definitely can't afford it

I only had a cursory listen so far, but I find it interesting that the tracks previously not remixed (and sourced from a 16bit/48kHz copy of the multitracks) don't sound exactly quite as good as the ones freshly transfered in Hi-Res from the analogue multis.

Damn. I didn't even notice. Probably because I hadn't ever heard the newly mixed tracks before. I wish you didn't mention this. Hahaha. I really enjoy both the mix and the tunes.

I only had a cursory listen so far, but I find it interesting that the tracks previously not remixed (and sourced from a 16bit/48kHz copy of the multitracks) don't sound exactly quite as good as the ones freshly transfered in Hi-Res from the analogue multis.

So "Giant", "Nothing At All", and "Why Not?" are exactly the same as they appear on the Three Piece Suite CD/Blu-Ray?

The new -ray from the box set is an improvement over the Three Piece Suite effort. A different mix.
Brings a smile to my face, and a tear to my eye.
It is truly outstanding what Mr. Wilson has done here sonically to a recording that was done so long ago.
Also, the graphics are different. Almost hypnotic, if you stare at it long enough. I think of it as a portal in which to gaze at while soaking in the sonics.

I really hope they release it as a stand alone at some point. It would be a real shame just to offer it in a limited release box set, as it is an expensive option if you just want the surround mix.

Maybe a Christmas release?

Must have, because the initial run was only a thousand, but the seller stated "only 2000" copies were made.
eBay has a copy for only $395 (about a hundred dollars more than cost):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENTLE-GIA...427160?hash=item342c69bf58:g:N1MAAOSwhUVfEPwg
Others are nearly double that! Good investment, maybe, if you can get the cheaper one (only one).

Sounds like the second run didn't have the autographs . . . mine is from the first pre-order, so I'm sure I have it, but maybe I should check. . . .
I got one of the 2nd batch of 1000 from Burning Shed, and it has the autographed photo. There was I believe a golden missing jigsaw piece in one lucky punters box in the first batch of a 1000.

I just read in the Amazon notes that a repressing is coming out April 2020. Did that happen?
Yes. My copy is from the second run.
I got one of the 2nd batch of 1000 from Burning Shed, and it has the autographed photo.
Was the photo stored inside or outside the box set? I don't recall a signed postcard like other Burning Shed preorders.

Last edited:
Back