Gentle Giant - (most of) Octopus in 5.1 coming soon!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meantime, as much as the Blu-ray success thing - they must be selling alright or nobody would be making them - and why all these albums should be in Hi-Res surround, is important.. the bigger deal for me now is that Universal/UMe specifically in the U.S.A should sit up and take notice that their U.K. compadres are getting surround stuff out there with one or two upmixes included and that consumers of these surround music titles are accepting of the odd upmix being included here and there when the absence of certain multi's is explained to them upfront .. and that it should not stop them releasing some of those albums where the odd missing multi is said to have been holding up a 5.1 incarnation (Steely Dan/Aja, Who/Who's Next.. etc)..

Or in some instances, I wouldn't mind an EP of discrete 5.1 mixes in cases where multitrack tapes are missing, as long as that's actually what the reasoning is and not like "Quadrophenia" where they only felt like mixing 8 songs in surround to begin with.
Of course I would much rather have the record labels get off their collective asses and actually release the full 5.1 mixes of albums that were completed but never released, specifically those poor Elton John titles that still have not been released 10 years on from when they were actually mixed! :( :mad:

Last edited:
ah that's The Power and the Glory of the Surround Master! :D

(better hang onto your upmixes, I guess, appears they might be the only surround-y versions of some tracks even once this one has come out.. :eek: )

Meantime, as much as the Blu-ray success thing - they must be selling alright or nobody would be making them - and why all these albums should be in Hi-Res surround, is important.. the bigger deal for me now is that Universal/UMe specifically in the U.S.A should sit up and take notice that their U.K. compadres are getting surround stuff out there with one or two upmixes included and that consumers of these surround music titles are accepting of the odd upmix being included here and there when the absence of certain multi's is explained to them upfront .. and that it should not stop them releasing some of those albums where the odd missing multi is said to have been holding up a 5.1 incarnation (Steely Dan/Aja, Who/Who's Next.. etc)..

HELL YES,

.........and that's why we have "PENTEO"which when used correctly provides (as has already been proven) excellent surround for those few missing album tracks.

From the GG Facebook page. Congrats lads! I imagine the 'BIG announcement' to be the official one for Octopus. Photo from L to R: Kerry, Ray, Derek.

Shulman, Shulman & Minnear of Gentle Giant being presented with the 'Lifetime Achievement Award' at the Prog Music Awards ceremony at the Shakespeare's Globe Theater, London, September 3rd 2015.
Next week another BIG announcement!!!

11949557_10153287701708791_2781537717730645241_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GENTLE-GIANT/121160188790?fref=ts

OK, thanks...but that's ambiguously worded. It could mean 'they haven't been located', or it could mean, they aren't available, for some other reason. Like, someone has them but is negotiating for their 'release'?

His report about Tales is also ambiguous...he says he 'started' on Tales a couple of years (!) back but doesn't say he ever finished it or even if it's still in progress.

OK, thanks...but that's ambiguously worded. It could mean 'they haven't been located', or it could mean, they aren't available, for some other reason. Like, someone has them but is negotiating for their 'release'?

His report about Tales is also ambiguous...he says he 'started' on Tales a couple of years (!) back but doesn't say he ever finished it or even if it's still in progress.

I take it to mean they have not been found, but you can interpret it anyway you want.
Meanwhile, I'm just going to look forward to both "Fragile" and "Octopus" and hope that whatever work needs to be finished on "Tales" will be done so it can finally be released some time next year.

Just a quick note to everyone. I think that the database that many stores use may have been incorrect and listed the regular CD as having a 5.1 mix. Corrected info went out last week, so if you order somewhere, make sure you order UPC 804471000442, which has a list price of $36.98.

Just a quick note to everyone. I think that the database that many stores use may have been incorrect and listed the regular CD as having a 5.1 mix. Corrected info went out last week, so if you order somewhere, make sure you order UPC 804471000442, which has a list price of $36.98.

So, where do we find the UPC code in Amazon's information? They are showing the Audio Cd as US $20.98. In title it says Steven Wilson 5.1 Remix. So this is not the correct version?

So, where do we find the UPC code in Amazon's information? They are showing the Audio Cd as US $20.98. In title it says Steven Wilson 5.1 Remix. So this is not the correct version?

You can search for a UPC on Amazon.com, but 804471000442 doesn't produce any results, they haven't really filled in the details for Octopus yet.

I might have to start changing my online shopping habbits with amazon. Their product listings are so vague these days it is impossible to know what your actually trying to buy.
Especialy after the ELP Brain Salad Surgery fiasco!

The tracks we couldn't remix due to missing multis will be upmixed in 5.1 (through Penteo) from the original stereo mix.

No computer animations this time, it was a one-off.

The announcement from the GG Facebook page:

Gentle Giant’s iconic album, OCTOPUS has been remixed by Steven Wilson and will be released on October 27, 2015 in both BLU-RAY/CD and CD formats.
Originally released in 1972, Octopus is Gentle Giant’s fourth album, and featured band members: Gary Green (guitars, percussion), Kerry Minnear (keyboards, vibraphone, percussion, cello, vocals), Derek Shulman (vocals, alto saxophone), Phil Shulman (saxophones, trumpet, mellophone, vocals), Ray Shulman (bass violin, guitar, percussion, vocals), John Weathers (drums, percussion, xylophone). The album was produced by the band and engineered and mixed by Martin Rushent.
The album has been tastefully remixed by Steven Wilson who also remixed Gentle Giant's 'The Power & The Glory' in 2014. Also included is a bonus of Steven’s mix of live 15-minute concert performances of "Excerpts from Octopus" from the band's 1976 tour.
New sketches by Roger Dean (who produced the original UK album cover) will be included in the new packaging as well as artwork from the USA album (an octopus in a jar created by Charles White).
The Blu-ray’s remixed album and added 15 minutes of live excerpts will be in 96/24 PCM, DTS 5.1 Surround Sound Master Audio. The Blu-ray also includes instrumental mixes of 5 of the original 8 tracks from this album. Also included is the flat transfer of the original mix of the album.
The releases will be through Caroline-UMG in North America, and on Soulfood in R.O.W on October 27.
TRACKLISTING
• 1. The Advent Of Panurge. *
• 2. Raconteur Troubadour. *
• 3. A Cry For Everyone.
• 4. Knots.
• 5. The Boys In The Band. *
• 6. Dog’s Life
• 7. Think Of Me With Kindness.
• 8. River.
• 9. Bonus Live “Excerpts From Octopus 1976”.
• * Original stereo mixes and Penteo surround sound upmixes.
LABEL: ALUCARD
ARTIST: GENTLE GIANT
TITLE: OCTOPUS STEVEN WILSON
RELEASE DATE: 27 OCTOBER 2015

12003327_10153317427758791_5789983895153420687_n.jpg

Back