Gentle Giant "Power & Glory" Blu Ray & DVD mixed by SW coming early Summer '14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's always been more interest in (and demand for) surround music, both within the industry and from consumers than the labels have ever given credit
Yeah, but about 10 years ago, the industry was hoping for revenues comparable with CD or even vinyl, but they said, that never happened. Now physical (music) product sales have declined, surround releases might be one way to still sell discs and accept that they won't sell in the hundred thousands. It works for me at least ...

Yeah, but about 10 years ago, the industry was hoping for revenues comparable with CD or even vinyl, but they said, that never happened. Now physical (music) product sales have declined, surround releases might be one way to still sell discs and accept that they won't sell in the hundred thousands. It works for me at least ...

Yes indeed; just accept it is for a niche market and embrace that! Money can be made for labels with the right titles and high quantities. Making a few thousand quid is better than nothing. Zep on 5.1 would of been a game changer and could of brought in thousands on new people to surround. I think Prince could do the same as any deluxe issues by WB would be reviewed in all the music publications and generate online interest.

For now I am very happy with what has been coming out the last 2 years. .

Just ordered through amazone. I've never heard any GG that I can recall and was hesitant but just now listening to the the free rip I'm eagerly awaiting this one. This will most likely be a KC type situation as others have said, a rewarding solitary listening experience. Concerning the vocals, reminds me a bit (at times) of Peter Gabriel.

Last edited:
Concerning the vocals, reminds me a bit of Peter Gabriel.

Really? See I don't hear that at all.
I have always considered Peter Gabriel to be the best among the classic Prog vocalists (along with Greg Lake), while Derek Shulman's vocals to me are an acquired taste that takes more effort to get into.
With that being said, his vocals are part of the style of this music, which has never sounded better than in this 5.1 release. :)

From the GG Facebook page - a new release! It ain't surround but it is most welcome indeed.

Gentle Giant is delighted to present its first ‘official’ live recording since 1976 “Playing the Fool Live”. Titled “Gentle Giant Live at the Bicentennial”, the recording was taken from a concert on July 3rd 1976 at the Calderone Theater, Hempstead, Long Island, which was broadcast for a local radio station.

There are no overdubs or other enhancements on this very live recording. It features Gentle Giant unedited, uninhibited and unrepentant.

The concert features the best-remembered music from past recordings as well as rare songs from the album “Interview” which the band was supporting at that time.

“Gentle Giant Live At The Bicentennial” 1976 is a 2-CD set release available everywhere from November 18th onwards on Alucard Music.

Enjoy Gentle Giant Live at the Bicentennial!

10348280_10152473954958791_7629128023410922715_n.jpg

From the GG Facebook page - a new release! It ain't surround but it is most welcome indeed.

Gentle Giant is delighted to present its first ‘official’ live recording since 1976 “Playing the Fool Live”. Titled “Gentle Giant Live at the Bicentennial”, the recording was taken from a concert on July 3rd 1976 at the Calderone Theater, Hempstead, Long Island, which was broadcast for a local radio station.

There are no overdubs or other enhancements on this very live recording. It features Gentle Giant unedited, uninhibited and unrepentant.

The concert features the best-remembered music from past recordings as well as rare songs from the album “Interview” which the band was supporting at that time.

“Gentle Giant Live At The Bicentennial” 1976 is a 2-CD set release available everywhere from November 18th onwards on Alucard Music.

Enjoy Gentle Giant Live at the Bicentennial!

View attachment 16163

Thanks 'Tim'

I just got this and I'm about to check it out for the first time in surround.

Really excited about it. :banana:

And Minnear has to save up to get a 5.1 system? Did they really make so little money or was that just poor handling of finances (which would seem more appropos of their pretentious brethren).

Sadly, I had read several years ago that Kerry Minnear was stuggling a bit financially. I don't believe it was due to a poor handling of finances, just that he was not making the income the two Shulman brothers were. Now this was before the recent GG resurgence.

Back