Gentle Giant "Power & Glory" Blu Ray & DVD mixed by SW coming early Summer '14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be getting the version with the Blu ray by Friday and selling the other one.

Last edited:
Got back from my work trip to find Power & Glory CD/BluRay in mail.
Played it , loved it. The sound is stunning once again SW has done it!
The visuals are also brilliant.

I was very surprised to find the cd/dvd version of this at my small town record store today for only $13.99 I decided to give it a go even though I'm a little worried as to whether I will like the music enough to give it more than a few listens. I was looking forward to hearing it until I got home and opened the disc and find only the cd. The cover has all the dvd specs and track list but there is no dvd in it. Back to the store. I'm pretty sure this was their only copy so we'll see what it takes to get another copy. Funny thing is that if the cd had been the disc missing, I might never have noticed.

K

I was very surprised to find the cd/dvd version of this at my small town record store today for only $13.99 I decided to give it a go even though I'm a little worried as to whether I will like the music enough to give it more than a few listens. I was looking forward to hearing it until I got home and opened the disc and find only the cd. The cover has all the dvd specs and track list but there is no dvd in it. Back to the store. I'm pretty sure this was their only copy so we'll see what it takes to get another copy. Funny thing is that if the cd had been the disc missing, I might never have noticed.

K

You mean you got one with two CDs in it or just one disk? Was there a 2-disk disk holder in it?

Here's the deal:
They "accidentally" printed the DVD track listing and specs on the back of the CD-only version, leading you to believe you were buying the right one.
When I was shopping at a local record store yesterday, I found the CD, CD/DVD, and CD/Blu-Ray versions, and the CD/DVD version is thicker (because it actually has both discs), BUT it has a sticker saying DVD on the FRONT as well, whereas the CD-only version's front sticker doesn't.
I hope you end up getting the right one eventually cause it really is a great disc to have! :)

Here's the deal:
They "accidentally" printed the DVD track listing and specs on the back of the CD-only version,

Thanks, you're right. I went back down and they had another copy and opened it and it was just like the first one. I had him look up and order the cd/dvd package and he realizes that it shows that they had checked one in and thought it should be around there. He never could find it and wonders that the owner didn't take it home with him as I guess he's a big fan. Anyway, I should have one by Tuesday at the latest.

K

I enjoyed reading this interview as well from Derek Shulman:

http://www.hit-channel.com/interviewderek-shulman-gentle-giant/62545

One of the questons from this interview:

Do you think social networks like Youtube and Facebook, can really help an independent musician?

"I think the era of the independent musician becoming a mass appeal star is over. I think music itself –which is a very sad situation for me- has become a secondary culture to a couple of generations. I have two kids: my daughter is 35, my son is 31. Although the music is still an important and primal factor in their lives, it is not as important as the high technology world. Music in my era was the driving force of culture. It isn’t quite important anymore to anyone. It’s sad. Becoming a real musician and hoping that you are going to be famous or make money or whatever, does not happen in this day and age. It is almost impossible to garner mass appeal in a world where hi-tech computer programmers and producers who are the star makers are the focus. There was a LOT of hard work and playing by the classic artists of my era. I don’t know who will replace bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Yes and Gentle Giant and how it will happen. These artists put in years of practice before they were recognized. A lot of kids these days think that they will go on Youtube and it just happens. It doesn’t work that way. Never did and never will."

after reading this, those of us who grew up when getting a new album created just as much excitement as going to go see the next blockbuster movie but unfortunately that type of enjoyment and excitement is lost on kids these days as they are far more interested in social media and all that goes along with that, and yes music is a interest but more in the background. I know its not everyone as there are still people that really enjoy music as witnessed by revival of more records being sold and some of the people that have come along with us on the dvd audio\sacd\bluray bandwagon to be able to hear music in all its clarity that even Lp's can't do.

peter

from Derek Shulman:

http://www.hit-channel.com/interviewderek-shulman-gentle-giant/62545

One of the questons from this interview:

Do you think social networks like Youtube and Facebook, can really help an independent musician?

"I think the era of the independent musician becoming a mass appeal star is over. I think music itself –which is a very sad situation for me- has become a secondary culture to a couple of generations. I have two kids: my daughter is 35, my son is 31. Although the music is still an important and primal factor in their lives, it is not as important as the high technology world. Music in my era was the driving force of culture. It isn’t quite important anymore to anyone. It’s sad. Becoming a real musician and hoping that you are going to be famous or make money or whatever, does not happen in this day and age. It is almost impossible to garner mass appeal in a world where hi-tech computer programmers and producers who are the star makers are the focus. There was a LOT of hard work and playing by the classic artists of my era. I don’t know who will replace bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Yes and Gentle Giant and how it will happen. These artists put in years of practice before they were recognized. A lot of kids these days think that they will go on Youtube and it just happens. It doesn’t work that way. Never did and never will."

after reading this, those of us who grew up when getting a new album created just as much excitement as going to go see the next blockbuster movie but unfortunately that type of enjoyment and excitement is lost on kids these days as they are far more interested in social media and all that goes along with that, and yes music is a interest but more in the background. I know its not everyone as there are still people that really enjoy music as witnessed by revival of more records being sold and some of the people that have come along with us on the dvd audio\sacd\bluray bandwagon to be able to hear music in all its clarity that even Lp's can't do.

Hi Peter,

Great point, my child is much younger than Derek Shulman's two, but I've always known that if & when I have kids they will live in a whole different world of technology. My mom endlessly scolded me for being so lucky to have black & white TV while she only had an old wooden radio. Before that people shared news via telegraph. It goes on and on. I've worked for 35 years in technology and I've learned that technology is surprisingly neutral(I know many people will disagree). Technology has moved forward ever since man invented the wheel. Every generation has more, no generation gets a "superior amount" or "too much" there is just a continued evolution. Technology is not the problem or the solution. It simply enpowers the average person to do more than they could before.

What has been lost is the desire or the perceived need to practice and excell at what you do. Forget music for a second: I know so many 27 year old kids living with their parents that want to be famous and invent a video game. But the thought to learn C++ or any other programmimg language never enters into their minds!

What Derek Shulman says is viewed from his perception of his life. Yes, I bought LP records in the 1970s and that was my life. But that is all I had. Now young people have vast networks of personal and hand held computers and the power of NASA at their fingertips. They simply have more. Good for them. Just like we had much more than our parents and they had more than their parents...

But a guy like Steven Wilson has proven that still today: "The cream will rise to the top"(Hard work & effort get rewarded). Steven has an international recording deal and now has more work than he can handle as a recording engineer.

The more people degenerate with MP3s on their iPods the more Master 5.1 remixes we get! I love the irony. (y)

Lincoln said: "The truth is self evident." I've always said that about great music such as Gentle Giant or YES, etc.... whatever the technology or social system we have, great art or music will always find its way to the surface. Evidenced by these wonderful 5.1 remixes of Gentle Giant that we are about to be getting more of!

Hail indeed!

@RT: Thanks again for the interview URL. :)

Last edited:
Finally received the bds/cd set from amazon usa. Great value for money. Music and mix are great and the onscreen animation/films are lovely, very well done.

Only thing is that the disc freezes at 3:44 into Proclamation, with both the stereo and 5.1 mix. When I press forward twice the disc moves forward and pressing play it will play for afew seconds but then it is only white noise. The instrumental mix plays fine. Looms like a defective bda? Looking at the comments no one has this problem it seems.

Hmm, that is what you get for getting this disc cheap ;)

Finally received the bds/cd set from amazon usa. Great value for money. Music and mix are great and the onscreen animation/films are lovely, very well done.

Only thing is that the disc freezes at 3:44 into Proclamation, with both the stereo and 5.1 mix. When I press forward twice the disc moves forward and pressing play it will play for afew seconds but then it is only white noise. The instrumental mix plays fine. Looms like a defective bda? Looking at the comments no one has this problem it seems.

Hmm, that is what you get for getting this disc cheap ;)
From my personal experience I would try cleaning the disc. I use Pledge Multi-Surface with a micro-fibre cloth. Wipe from the center out going around the disc.

1012149949.jpg

For music of this quality I'd use one of these products:

Attachments

• brillo.jpg
    brillo.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 254
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 256
Back