Gentle Giant "Power & Glory" Blu Ray & DVD mixed by SW coming early Summer '14

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fweep! Unnecessary roughness!

78e54eff3a07eb3d972f09fe61b2a7bf.jpg

Finally received the bds/cd set from amazon usa. Great value for money. Music and mix are great and the onscreen animation/films are lovely, very well done.

Only thing is that the disc freezes at 3:44 into Proclamation, with both the stereo and 5.1 mix. When I press forward twice the disc moves forward and pressing play it will play for afew seconds but then it is only white noise. The instrumental mix plays fine. Looms like a defective bda? Looking at the comments no one has this problem it seems.

Hmm, that is what you get for getting this disc cheap ;)
My player was causing the troubles. After GG I popped in Anathema's latest and there was a freeze as well. Powering down and up the player and both discs play fine, luckily. :)

Octopus next please!

Good Sir Keenly! You seem to be in the vanguard here. Octopus happens to be the census choice of the forum and the one in fact that Steven Wilson will be doing(at least strongly intimated....)

The big debate is what will come after. Although we got an old quad mix of Free Hand, Free Hand is their best recording(IMHO) and should be next. A Steven Wilson 5.1 mix will blow away the old quad mix that was sold. If people disagree then they are frankly, well... uh.... very disagreeable! :cool:

A tough question is: What artwork will they chose for the cover? The English or USA version? I like both covers actually...

ggo1.png

ggo2.jpg

The big debate is what will come after. Although we got an old quad mix of Free Hand, Free Hand is their best recording(IMHO) and should be next. A Steven Wilson 5.1 mix will blow away the old quad mix that was sold. If people disagree then they are frankly, well... uh.... very disagreeable! :cool:
]

Well then let's agree to disagree as I want "In a Glass House" after "Octopus", followed by the first three studio albums (in no particular order).
I really love "Free Hand" but at least we have a Quad mix of that one, whereas the first 5 albums suffer from having no surround mix at all (at this time...)

Well then let's agree to disagree as I want "In a Glass House" after "Octopus", followed by the first three studio albums (in no particular order).
I really love "Free Hand" but at least we have a Quad mix of that one, whereas the first 5 albums suffer from having no surround mix at all (at this time...)

If not Free Hand (and I might agree to wait on Free Hand, had they not mixed up the back channels on the quad release :mad:@:) then I would defer to Good Sir Timbre, who
has lobbied for the live recording next. At the risk of boring the group, I know you love Glass House, but I will say it again: Gentle Giant may be the most controversial
progressive group of all time. There is so much differing of opinion within the GG fan base but that is cool. Life would suck if we all fought over the same 100 women or stores only sold chocolate ice cream.

It is such an unexpected treasure to be getting ANY of Gentle Giant in 5.1 direct form multi-tarck tapes. I STILL can not get over how magnificent & loud & clear the 5.1 remix
of Power & Glory is.

A tough question is: What artwork will they chose for the cover? The English or USA version? I like both covers actually...

I'm sure it would be the original Roger Dean cover (thankfully!).

"Glass House" would be stunning in surround. Can't say I'd complain if it were to be instead "Acquiring the Taste"...or "Free Hand"...or "Three Friends"...

I'm spinning the SHM-SACD of Octopus. This is the best version I've heard. Even so, I'm hoping a SW remix can bring new life to the drums. They've always sounded rather veiled and muddy to me.

I'm spinning the SHM-SACD of Octopus. This is the best version I've heard. Even so, I'm hoping a SW remix can bring new life to the drums. They've always sounded rather veiled and muddy to me.

I was actually going to make a thread about Octopus SHM SACD. The production and recording on that album really shine on this version.

Nice interview with Kerry, Derek and Ray giving their reactions to the new release:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_power_and_the_glory_of_gentle_giant

Thanks for the link- good read. They seemed to have been really centered and focused on the music. Lots of integrity. I wonder if they had caught that star and made it really big if they would have been able to keep that self-effacing, non-pretentious attitude? Regardless, they seem like really cool guys and true musicians.

And Minnear has to save up to get a 5.1 system? Did they really make so little money or was that just poor handling of finances (which would seem more appropos of their pretentious brethren).

I noticed this statement by Ray Shulman

We’d had offers from other people who wanted to mix it in surround (sound) before and we weren’t very enthusiastic

I'm intrigued to learn that there are other surround engineers out there who approach such non-mainstream groups. So perhaps interest in the surround format is or could be more active than it is.

There's always been more interest in (and demand for) surround music, both within the industry and from consumers than the labels have ever given credit, imho.

Back