Genuine Matrix Quad LP?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaquad

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
After years of neglecting my quad record collection I was forced to deal with it when a shelf finally collapsed. While sorting through the records I found an album by Troy Cory titled "The Country Doctor Prescribes Rx City Music" on the Cinema Prize label. The LP cover and label indicate the LP is "4-Channel Compatible Stereo". Nothing to indicate the format. Although this album is not listed, the Quadraphonic Discography includes a listing for another Troy Cory LP titled "Record Romance" (Cinema Prize) and a Troy and Priscilla Cory album titled "Easy Love'n" (Summit-Cinema Prize) but the format is unknown. I am curious if any of the elders of the quad community here know anything about this record label and if these albums are genuine quad releases?
Cory Album Cover.jpeg

Attachments

• Cory Album Label.jpeg.jpeg
    Cory Album Label.jpeg.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 184
No date unfortunately.
Tom it is great to see your smiling face grace the QQ pages again.
I have not seen that one so thanks for the notice. I could not find anything about the format used on the LP's listed in the discography.
I was never inclined to try to find someone involved in the recording to learn more and have wondered if it was a marketing ploy because it sounded OK when decoded.

How is it going Quad Brother.!! I had the Troy and Priscilla Cory album. I do not have the lp anymore, but i have it decoded in EV in the files.

Hello old friend. I was just reminiscing about your visit to Orlando many years ago when you arranged for me to meet Alan Parsons backstage and hang out with his band. I will always appreciate that!

Tom it is great to see your smiling face grace the QQ pages again.
I have not seen that one so thanks for the notice. I could not find anything about the format used on the LP's listed in the discography.
I was never inclined to try to find someone involved in the recording to learn more and have wondered if it was a marketing ploy because it sounded OK when decoded.

Hi Mark. Yes it's been a while. And thanks for keeping your great resource up and running for all theses years!

Hello old friend. I was just reminiscing about your visit to Orlando many years ago when you arranged for me to meet Alan Parsons backstage and hang out with his band. I will always appreciate that!
Hi Tom, Yep it would be fun to do it again, maybe we can get concerts rolling this fall. I know Alan would be happy if so! Tad

Most of the ones with no format listed were made when only one format was available: EV-4.

I'd guess QS, since Sansui didn't charge a licensing fee to use the system, but they did if you used the logo. I'd say it's similar to what ABC Records did, using QS to encode, but not referring directly to that system. In some cases, they referred to the "standard matrix system", and I believe, at least once, they referred to the "Sansui system".

Let's not forget that 2 or 3 quad matrix formats were available.
All before EV-4.(70-71)

DY-4D or Dynaquad(69 or 70) was prior to EV-4 .
And before that there was Scheiber.(1969)

And in Japan there was Sansui's QS. (1969)

Edit : Dynaquad/Hafler might be early - mid 1970 .

Last edited:
And EV came out after Dynaquad. So why overlook SQ, which turned out to be the most popular matrix in the world, despite its technical shortcomings?
I thought the point of this discussion was that this LP seems to be a very early quad recording, so it's most likely EV-4 or Dyna. I believe QS predated SQ as well. QS recordings often were released without mention of the encoding system. That might be true of Dyna as well, although you would think that all EV-4 would be labeled as Stereo-4, but for very early releases who knows? I don't know of any SQ LP's released without mention of SQ, and usually they carry a logo as well. SQ was a latter quad development, that's why we are overlooking it here!. IMHO SQ had less shortcomings than QS, in the beginning (pre-Vario-matrix) at least! And in the end with Tate!

Didn't you forget SQ?
Nope , I did not.
If it was SQ it would have been labeled as such . CBS would have insisted. CBS' S SQ albums were first issued November 71 in the U.S.......FWIW.

My point is that there were 3 matrice prior to EV -4. And it's likely not a Scheiber lp, if it were we would have known via Thomas Mowery. He said no vinyl was ever made.

Back