George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exciting news Amazon Uk are delivering George to me today. But I need advice.
I usually rip to flac. I have a 5.1 set up only. I have a oppo 93 EU. Will this fold 7.1 to 5.1 ?
Or do I rip 7.1 in makemkv and do my own fold to 5.1.
After hearing all the excitement of Atmos . I am not sure about my first listen in DTS 5.1

Help !!!! :unsure:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing on behalf of my client who suffered extreme shock on opening his copy of Mr. George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" 50th Anniversary Box Set.

My client having steeled themselves to the Gnomes on the cover, was 'Out Of The Blue' stunned as they were not expecting there to be more gratuitous and deeply harrowing images of more of the aforementioned (in his words <expletive> garden b*st*rds) on the covers of CDs 1 through to 4.

These pesky semi-mythical creatures have over the years caused my client a lot of unnecessary shock and trouble. The fact that there were no warning labels on the said Box Set highlighting the further use of images of Garden Gnomes, means we are left with no option but to sue for substantial damages or a small packet of chocolate biscuits.

Sir Frankie Crisp (Partner)

Sue, Grabbit & Run Solicitors
The Dingly Dell
Surbiton

Will the OPPO 105 decode the Atmos track?
As in, to the analog outputs? I'm not sure. It may just decode the core Dolby TrueHD layer. The resulting output should, however, theoretically be the same whether the object/height data is decoded by the player and folded into the used channels or not.

I've just been listening on iTunes via Apple TV and noticed that "If Not For You" is credited to George Harrison not Bob Dylan.
Has the same mistake been made on the physical copies ?
The accompanying booklet clearly states that the song was composed by Bob Dylan

Boob on the Streaming sites......don't know their arses from their elbows!! :D

Bobby Whitlock who plays on All Things must Pass, received a complementary copy from the Harrison Estate.
He listened to the vinyl and fucking hates it. Personally I don't have a record player, but for those who do you can listen to Bobby's You Tube here:

That's shockingly amazing; and yeah, the dogs were even howling. But it sounds like he was fine with the original version?

I ripped this thing last night but am just sitting down at the PC to give it all a listen. Can't wait, but I did notice looking at the wav forms (Yes, I know, you can't tell shit from looking at the wav forms sully) that just like the earlier Lennon releases, the AC3 rip seems to have less amplitude in the front channels than the two DTS versions. I am not sure how that impacts listening, but I just thought I'd note that. The rest of the levels seem fine, unlike the Lennon's that had drastically lower rears in the non-AC3 5.1 mixes, although the AC-3 rears do have a tiny bit more heft to it the other two.

More later (NOTE: Click the image below to see it a bit bigger)

ATMP 51 Versions.jpg

From a 7.1 perspective, I find it a bit weird how "5.1" the 7.1 of the Atmos track is. The side surrounds dominate, and the rear surrounds are almost totally unused. I've not noticed anything apart from pretty quiet reverb from them. Has anyone noticed the rears doing anything much in 7.1?

How does this compare with those playing actual 7.1.2/7.1.4 Atmos?

It's like there's a bit of a soundfield hole back there, tempting me to play the 5.1 with Pro Logic IIx.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK
Is anyone else having an issue playing this Blu Ray on their Oppo BDP103? I've tried 6 times, changed batteries, confirmed I had the latest (last) firmware, stood in front of the player IR window, pressed the Play button the front of the player. If I try to select any of the Audio Options beyond the default stereo mix, I get nothing and the unit is out of my control. No top menu, stop or eject. I have to turn the Oppo player OFF and then on to get the disc out. Usually no issues with whatever I play.

So I go to the quad system and pop in in the BDP-93 and I can select the 5.1 mix and away it goes any which way you'd like. The only option I have with the BDP-103 is to make no audio selection or touch anything else. Head scratching in the shallow South. It's gonna be a Sony UDP-X800 debut tonight I guess...

Sorry, yes103 is what I meant, thanks! I’m shopping around for an Atmos capable AVR if you have a recommendation?
I sort of came in at the cheap end with a Sony STR DN1080 it only does 5.2.2 (2 overhead Atmos speakers) but my room is only 15 ft deep (4.5m) and I sit 3 feet from the back wall. This amp is sort of a Swiss army knife of entry level Atmos which also does DSD and double DSD and is network friendly. There are obviously better Home Theatre amps but I was on a budget. (I should point out that I have not bought the physical issue of these discs and I see some people are having issues playing the Blu-ray on their Oppo 103s)

Is anyone else having an issue playing this Blu Ray on their Oppo BDP103? I've tried 6 times, changed batteries, confirmed I had the latest (last) firmware, stood in front of the player IR window, pressed the Play button the front of the player. If I try to select any of the Audio Options beyond the default stereo mix, I get nothing and the unit is out of my control. No top menu, stop or eject. I have to turn the Oppo player OFF and then on to get the disc out. Usually no issues with whatever I play.

So I go to the quad system and pop in in the BDP-93 and I can select the 5.1 mix and away it goes any which way you'd like. The only option I have with the BDP-103 is to make no audio selection or touch anything else. Head scratching in the shallow South. It's gonna be a Sony UDP-X800 debut tonight I guess...
I have a 103, as well. Plays just fine.

Tim, maybe try comparing the disc's spindle hole (or whatever they call it) with other discs that work and see if it could be under/over sized or off center; something like that.

Back