George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though you can compare several releases.
One will be different than the other.
I think he is traditional and stays with the original is the best for him.
If you take a look at my quick review I gave this 50th Anniversary Ed a 10/10 on its own merit, but I still miss the UMPH/PUNCHINESS of the original with the WALL OF SOUND….So he could do a similar type of review and considering how involved he was and who he is would IMHO would have been a great idea, instead of saying basically it is a piece of SHIT

If you take a look at my quick review I gave this 50th Anniversary Ed a 10/10 on its own merit, but I still miss the UMPH/PUNCHINESS of the original with the WALL OF SOUND….So he could do a similar type of review and considering how involved he was and who he is would IMHO would have been a great idea, instead of saying basically it is a piece of SHIT
I think he was emotionally motivated to do such a review. I smiled a lot when I saw this video.
Didn‘t take it so serious.

There are moments in the mix where I thought that the bassdrum is too muffled in some songs. But overall I love that release.

FedEx says that my set was delivered to my front porch this afternoon. Well, nothing came and I was home all afternoon with the front door open. My neighbors don't have it. One of them says that they sometimes get delivery notifications from FedEx but the package doesn't actually arrive until the next day. I have notified FedEx. Anyone else ever have an issue like this with FedEx?

@marcb , perhaps this is 'Beatles Revenge' for saying that I didn't care for the original stereo mixes of SPLHCB and TWA. :sneaky:
I have found FexEx to be the most unreliable and disorganized shipper out there. Even worse than the USPS. I don't understand why vendors use them. It must be a price thing.

See the source image

Or, Maybe the dog CHEWED IT!

See the source image
It certainly happened to me with UPS. I’d wait one more day. Then ask FedEx why they want to complicate customer relations even more and who thought lying about real delivery would be a good idea.

I have found FexEx to be the most unreliable and disorganized shipper out there. Even worse than the USPS. I don't understand why vendors use them. It must be a price thing.
It certainly happened to me with UPS. I’d wait one more day. Then ask FedEx why they want to complicate customer relations even more and who thought lying about real delivery would be a good idea.

I wrote to udiscovermusic. They got back to me in about 5 minutes. Anyway, the rep said:

"Thanks for reaching out! I’m sorry to hear your package seems to be missing, but I’m happy to help look into this for you.

Please note that shipping carriers sometimes send out these notifications prematurely....

... and allow up to 5 additional business days for your package to arrive...

If you still have not received your package after 5 business days, please let us know."

Well, that is quite a disturbing comment about the state of the shipping industry, but I've never had a problem with USPS or UPS in my area.

I wrote to udiscovermusic. They got back to me in about 5 minutes. Anyway, the rep said:

"Thanks for reaching out! I’m sorry to hear your package seems to be missing, but I’m happy to help look into this for you.

Please note that shipping carriers sometimes send out these notifications prematurely....

... and allow up to 5 additional business days for your package to arrive...

If you still have not received your package after 5 business days, please let us know."

Well, that is quite a disturbing comment about the state of the shipping industry, but I've never had a problem with USPS or UPS in my area.
Yeah, I've had that happen a few times in the last couple of years; it says it was even delivered, but didn't actually get into my box for another few days... just trying to pad their performance statistics I'd guess. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I've had that happen a few times in the last couple of years; it says it was even delivered, but didn't actually get into my box for another few days... just trying to pad their performance statistics I'd guess. 🤷‍♂️
Well, I'm in a real foul mood having gotten my wisdom teeth extracted a few days ago. So I'm going to kick them in the ass.

Have you ever waited for a package that was scheduled for delivery on a given day, it doesn't arrive, and when you go back to look at the tracking it says "package delivery was delayed per customer request". I have. Twice. Both times FedEx. They are the worst I tell ya.

Just got mine in from Deep Discount. Love the smaller box! It'd be nice if all the SDE's were this size.

I think this is a big improvement over Paul Hicks' Lennon 5.1's in terms of surround usage (the 5.1 DTS-HD is not light on rear activity at all), but the remix itself has a lot of the same problems as Gimme Some Truth - loud mastering, too much low-end, vocals a bit too forward at times, etc.

Just got mine in from Deep Discount. Love the smaller box! It'd be nice if all the SDE's were this size.

I think this is a big improvement over Paul Hicks' Lennon 5.1's in terms of surround usage (the 5.1 DTS-HD is not light on rear activity at all), but the remix itself has a lot of the same problems as Gimme Some Truth - loud mastering, too much low-end, vocals a bit too forward at times, etc.
Have you compared the DTS HD MA 5.1 to the Atmos? There are those who prefer the Atmos, even on 5.1 systems.

Have you compared the DTS HD MA 5.1 to the Atmos? There are those who prefer the Atmos, even on 5.1 systems.

I haven't had the chance to try the TrueHD/Atmos on the disc yet, but the Atmos version on Apple Music sounded pretty wonky on my 5.1 system. From the sweet spot, it felt like basically everything was coming out of the rears except for the rhythm section and lead vocal (though there's a fair amount of lead vocal support in the rears as well). The 5.1 on the disc just seems better-balanced, with the vocal clearly focused in the center speaker.

my very limited experience with a handfuli of ripped 7.1/Atmos tracks tends to lean toward a better evperience when i play the 7.1 and let the prepro down mix to 5.1 vs the ripped 5.1. Like i said its a very limited sample. I think the downmix may be juicing the rears a bit, which is a good thing with a lot of surround mixes, especially those from Apple

I haven't had the chance to try the TrueHD/Atmos on the disc yet, but the Atmos version on Apple Music sounded pretty wonky on my 5.1 system. From the sweet spot, it felt like basically everything was coming out of the rears except for the rhythm section and lead vocal (though there's a fair amount of lead vocal support in the rears as well). The 5.1 on the disc just seems better-balanced, with the vocal clearly focused in the center speaker.
The BD Atmos sounds noticeably better on my system than the Apple streaming version. I don't think it would change your impression of the mix balance, but the BD is better defined.
I hear rhythm section, lead vox and often main accompaniment in the fronts of the Atmos version. Some accompaniment and most embellishments in the immersive channels. Pretty effective, to my ears.

It was written by Dylan. However, George modified the lyrics for his version on ATMP.

View attachment 69976
I’d have to dig around some to be certain, but I assume he didn’t change the lyrics but used earlier ones. Dylan is as known for re-writing his lyrics as Harrison is known for treating Dylan’s lyrics as sacrosanct texts.

Either way, thank you for posting the comparison! In recent years I haven’t listened much to ATMP except the title track and Isn’t It a Pity (both have been medicinal). This is mainly because my taste leans towards intimacy over grandeur. I’m much more likely to listen to singer-songwriters than rock, to “Bootleg Series” and demos than the final products burned into my brain.

As a result, this release is an answer to my agnostic prayers. For me, it’s maybe this track that feels the most freed from the original mix. It feels more like a band playing now. Not like hidden instruments have been revealed but that the performances have been allowed to breathe. As a result, to me this sounds much more spirited. Maybe less of a “pop” song but I’d argue it succeeds more in this newer skin.

I’ve listened to the stereo mix a few times now and this album has moved from a favorite I always cite mainly because it was a gateway drug that led me towards singer-songwriters. Yet the murk has made that sentiment more a gesture because I don’t listen to it. That will change now.

I’ve listened to ATMOS only once and won’t vote for awhile. My initial sense is that it is the perfect medium for this album. The new mix unearths the musicality I’ve always felt was too muted by the ambiance but then opening up the sound field re-emphasizes the grandeur without the sacrifice.

The BD Atmos sounds noticeably better on my system than the Apple streaming version. I don't think it would change your impression of the mix balance, but the BD is better defined.
I hear rhythm section, lead vox and often main accompaniment in the fronts of the Atmos version. Some accompaniment and most embellishments in the immersive channels. Pretty effective, to my ears.

I was recently 'chided' by a fellow QQ poster for alluding to the fact that physical discs should and DO sound better than downloads/streaming. This is especially true of physical UHD4K discs which always look and SOUND superior to digital streaming.

I was recently 'chided' by a fellow QQ poster for alluding to the fact that physical discs should and DO sound better than downloads/streaming. This is especially true of physical UHD4K discs which always look and SOUND superior to digital streaming.
This is the closest comparison I've done, i.e. most attentive listening. Mainly, in the past, I haven't heard all that much difference. A bit of definition. Maybe it's the nature of this particular recording or atmos mix.
I was not expecting to hear much difference.

I've been comparing the 5.1 & 7.1 versions of "What Is Life" and the results are really interesting, not unlike @albertop's findings on the Gimme Some Truth set.

Both mixes have the intro guitar line in the rear speakers, but the 5.1 mix has that same guitar at about 50% volume in the front speakers. On the 7.1 mix, it's completely gone!

What Is Life Intro 5.1 .jpg
What Is Life Intro 7.1 .jpg

Both mixes have the horns come in from the front speakers, but the 7.1 mix has those same horns duplicated in the rears at roughly the same volume level. On the 5.1 mix, there's just a bit of horn reverb in the rears. Same goes for the lead vocal - the 5.1 mix only has some reverb in the rears, while the 7.1 has a good amount of dry lead vocal sound back there.

I haven't analyzed every track, but the pattern seems to be as follows - On the 5.1 mix, the rear-channel content is duplicated in the fronts at a somewhat lower volume. On the 7.1 mix, the front-channel content is duplicated in the rears at nearly the same volume.

I suppose one could create a 'perfect' surround mix by using channels 1 & 2 from the 7.1 mix and channels 5 & 6 from the 5.1 mix - you'd get more headroom and completely 'discrete' separation between the front & rear pairs. I'll have to try that out, but for now I still prefer the dedicated 5.1 mix.

Back