George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
001-rc522.jpg

https://recordcollectormag.com/cove...-harrison-all-things-must-pass-september-2021
https://recordcollectormag.com/issue/september-2021

I am thrilled to report that my AWOL copy of ATMP from udiscovermusic arrived this morning. :SB :SB :SB But it was delivered by the USPS, not FedEx. FedEx's tracking clearly states that the parcel was dropped off on my front porch on August 10. Yet the item that arrived has a USPS label. When I put the USPS tracking number into their system, it says "USPS Currently Awaiting Package."

One would think that FedEx tracking would have said something of the order, "Delivered to Local Post Office." I've seen tracking info like that, but I think it was from UPS, and they provided a USPS tracking number as well as their number.

Weird, really weird.

[Edit: The packing list says, Shipping Method FEDEX Umg]

I suppose one could create a 'perfect' surround mix by using channels 1 & 2 from the 7.1 mix and channels 5 & 6 from the 5.1 mix - you'd get more headroom and completely 'discrete' separation between the front & rear pairs. I'll have to try that out, but for now I still prefer the dedicated 5.1 mix.

I gave this 'frankenstein' approach a shot and it does sound pretty cool. Again using "What Is Life", I took FL, FR, C & LFE from the TrueHD 7.1 stream and RL & RR from the DTS-HD 5.1 stream. FL, FR & C needed around 5 dB of bass removed (YMMV on this), but RL & RR are untouched.

What Is Life Remixed 5.1.jpg

The front channels contain very dry (or "de-Spectorized") bass guitar, drums, and horns that are really cool to listen to in isolation. Vocals are most prominent in the center, but also fairly present in the fronts. The rear channels contain all the guitar parts, some vocal harmonies, and drum/vocal/horn reverb.

Attachments

• What Is Life Front Sample.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • What Is Life Rear Sample.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
If you take a look at my quick review I gave this 50th Anniversary Ed a 10/10 on its own merit, but I still miss the UMPH/PUNCHINESS of the original with the WALL OF SOUND….So he could do a similar type of review and considering how involved he was and who he is would IMHO would have been a great idea, instead of saying basically it is a piece of SHIT
Hey Whitlock is no different than anyone else imo. He has his opinion and others have their opinion. There is always a group that will prefer whatever came out prior. AFAIK, he didn't post a rant about the universally panned 2001 remaster.
2009, The Beatles CD sets came out is an epic example of this.
Poor Alan Rouse made the mistake of being forthcoming on SHF about the process of digitizing the tapes in depth.
He had the audacity to whisper that some processing had been done on some of the tapes\tracks.
OMFG, you would've thought that admitting to sleeping with SHF member's wives. Actually they likely would have cared less about that than
what was done with the tapes.
Got hounded out of the forum by a bunch of know-nothing trolls. In 20 plus years on forums I've seen this time after time.
It's disgusting.
Then the big turn around, the once reviled 87 remasters somehow were now "the best" and the indignation rolled on.
I used to hang out with "audiophiles" on a semi-regular and while some were\are a quirky bunch they were mostly music lovers, not gear listeners.
I remember no heated debates or anything close to an argument.

Maybe Bobby can explain why Layla is such a sub-par recording, imo.
He had far more influence on that recording than being pretty much a session guy on ATMP.
And so it goes.

I gave this 'frankenstein' approach a shot and it does sound pretty cool. Again using "What Is Life", I took FL, FR, C & LFE from the TrueHD 7.1 stream and RL & RR from the DTS-HD 5.1 stream. FL, FR & C needed around 5 dB of bass removed (YMMV on this), but RL & RR are untouched.

View attachment 70055

The front channels contain very dry (or "de-Spectorized") bass guitar, drums, and horns that are really cool to listen to in isolation. Vocals are most prominent in the center, but also fairly present in the fronts. The rear channels contain all the guitar parts, some vocal harmonies, and drum/vocal/horn reverb.

Nice! Regarding the bass cut, I was listening to the 7.1 TrueHD layer today (in a true 7.1 setup, not Atmos) and that's exactly what I preferred...a -5dB bass cut in the front channels. ( I can do that with my new Parasound P7 preamp because the tone controls only affect the front channels.) I also tweeked the Front to Back balance a bit more to the front as I thought that the 7.1 TrueHD layer sounds just a bit too much rear-centric.

I felt that the fidelity of the 7.1 TrueHD layer was a better than the 5.1 DTS Master layer on certain selections (My Sweet Lord, Wah-Wah and What Is Life, for example.) I thought the DTS Master sounded a bit on the grainy side compared to the TrueHD on these particular tracks. But I have to listen / play more with this.

This is shaping up to be a pretty good year after all!
(Now how about that "Who's Next" super deluxe edition later this year?)

;)

In today's JazzWax blog post, Marc Myers plugs his latest Wall Street Journal piece: "I wrote an essay on the Who's Who's Next album, which was released 50 years ago today (go here). Despite the anniversary, Polydor, the band's label, didn't bother to release a boxed set commemorating the superb recording. In my essay . . . I have a pretty good guess why not."

I'm intrigued, but it's paywalled. Anyone here a subscriber?

I find that ALL of the Beatle related Blu-Rays are not only hard to navigate, but when they are loaded, automatically start in the Stereo mode. Then you fumble with the controls to get back to the menu and try to figure out how to get to the audio option that you want. The ATMP menu selector is like a color blind test if you ask me... My 2¢
I agree! I little more time spent doing some “real world” testing prior to release could have helped!

In today's JazzWax blog post, Marc Myers plugs his latest Wall Street Journal piece: "I wrote an essay on the Who's Who's Next album, which was released 50 years ago today (go here). Despite the anniversary, Polydor, the band's label, didn't bother to release a boxed set commemorating the superb recording. In my essay . . . I have a pretty good guess why not."

I'm intrigued, but it's paywalled. Anyone here a subscriber?
Text posted here:

I saw on You Tube there is a "TARGET ONLY" 3 CD box set, with stickers, only for the super collector, not me.

I bundled my copy with some other stuff, mainly Clapton's new box set and my George Harrison finally leaving Japan today.

Hi, I am ripping the Blu Ray via MKV and MMH. Atmos rip.
Question: I don't think any of the tracks are gapless?
When ripping Blu Rays I have to rip whole video if there are gapless but if no gapless I can rip in chapters.

Just saw this new video (at least I think it's new) posted on UCR, I think most will enjoy it. It's supposed to be a comedy but damn if it didn't bring tears to my eyes,

Just saw this new video (at least I think it's new) posted on UCR, I think most will enjoy it. It's supposed to be a comedy but damn if it didn't bring tears to my eyes,

Back