George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this new video (at least I think it's new) posted on UCR, I think most will enjoy it. It's supposed to be a comedy but damn if it didn't bring tears to my eyes,

Kind of an odd music video. Looks like it is meant to promote the 50th by focusing on an old song maybe for a new generation. I'm impressed with the production and the cast, but for this old geezer, the message and the "investigation" escapes me.

Kind of an odd music video. Looks like it is meant to promote the 50th by focusing on an old song maybe for a new generation. I'm impressed with the production and the cast, but for this old geezer, the message and the "investigation" escapes me.

Explanation at the UCR site.

Beyond what is stated at UCR, I think at the beginning the two agents were spoofing Moulder and Scully.

Anyone else pick up the mixing error on Isn't it a Pity (version two)? At about 2:20 the organ comes in out of sync with the rest of the instruments. I noticed it first listening to the CD in the car and just confirmed it on the Blu-ray Atmos mix.

It caught my ear on first listen. Super strange. So I compared with the 2001 mix, and sounds like it's out of sync there as well, but the balance is different. Thinking something that is maybe on lower volume on the original is more pronounced here and makes it sound off. But there's definitely the same thing going on in the previous mix as well.

It caught my ear on first listen. Super strange. So I compared with the 2001 mix, and sounds like it's out of sync there as well, but the balance is different. Thinking something that is maybe on lower volume on the original is more pronounced here and makes it sound off. But there's definitely the same thing going on in the previous mix as well.
Maybe the organist was out of sync?!

Anyone else pick up the mixing error on Isn't it a Pity (version two)? At about 2:20 the organ comes in out of sync with the rest of the instruments. I noticed it first listening to the CD in the car and just confirmed it on the Blu-ray Atmos mix.

A perceptive observation, which set me up for a close listen to compare the two tracks.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

To my ears, it's simply an extra measure (four beats) of music in the arrangement, compared to version one.
Rather than an error, it's fooking genius.

After the last vocal phrase, the word "pity" falls on beat one.
If you want to play along at home with this listening exercise, pat your foot on the beats and count 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4.

The second four beats of spare piano chords build dramatic tension, which is released when the drums come in on the "one".
The organ starts on the "two", exactly in "sync," to play the melody line "how we break each others' hearts."

That's how I hear it, I have no formal musical theory education, maybe someone who does would describe it differently.
YMMV

For reference, I attach an excerpt of the sheet music.
My hypothesis is inserting an extra measure between the fourth and fifth bars, after "shame" and before "how" is what we are hearing. 🎼 🎶 🎹 :whistle:

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 10.28.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Well I just listened again, comparing the original CD release (which according to Allmusic was released on May 18, 1987), the 2001 reissue CD and the new 50th anniversary issue. To my ears the first two sound identical in this section (save for mastering differences) but the new one definitely does not. The part I'm talking about is just after 2:20. I originally described it as an organ, but it may be a synth or mellotron. It starts in the right channel (I was using headphones) and the phrase goes dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah daah daah - it then switches to the centre of the soundfield and continues dah-dah-dah-dah-dah daah. Please excuse my nomenclature, but if you listen you'll understand what I'm getting at. It starts one beat too late and finishes late as well.

I think I know what Dave is getting at, but what I'm hearing here is different to the 1987 & 2001 releases. There's a reddit post discussing it here, but it seems they have conflicting view as well.

There are a few Quads where different takes were used for the Quad compared to the stereo. So could the difference be because they used a different multi-track tape from the original, or that originally 'stuff' was done live and mixed in when they did the original stereo mix so wouldn't be on any multi-track?

Oddly, Dhani mentions "the Nicky Hopkins delayed piano" on Isn't It A Pity during the Matt Wilkinson podcast which shows up in Apple music on George's page (11 minutes in). He says take 47, but means 27 - the one from July with the new animated video. It's slower, but you can more clearly hear how the tape delay on Hopkins slurs everything and detunes a bit too.
In all versions the piano delay makes the timing a little loosey goosey already. Also sounds like there's mellotron (flute) and hammond playing variations on the same part. It's crazy how different some of the versions are. '70, '87, '02, '09, '20 (with bass), I think.
I think it's possible that in re-creating the tape delay for the new version, Paul had it a bit too slow in that part.
Also possible is just a mistake of slipping it a bit behind in protools. I agree it's off but it's pretty close to being considered a musical decision, in the spirit of the already delayed piano part. I agree that the second line is more noticeable because by then the dramatic tension has ended and the band should be in tight. Good ear, @boxhead. :)

Yes! it drives me crazy. I don’t get how it could have slipped by. It sounds like the track is offset by 2-3 beats. I wonder if the multitrack reflects the issue, or if the track was accidentally bumped while creating the new mix. It just sounds wrong, it would be great if it could be fixed.

Not sure what the lowest price was when this was released but it's under $97 on Amazon right now.

That's a really nice price with free shipping. I paid about $112 plus shipping in June of last year from UMG and that wasn't bad. Regardless, the release of this album in Atmos was the one that threw me over the top to expand to an Atmos system. (That and my beloved Lexicon biting the dust.)

Back