George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Talking with Rolling Stone, George Harrison‘s wife Olivia and son, Dhani have revealed they are working on a 50th anniversary edition of All Things Must Pass.

The conversation arrives as part of a new feature by Rolling Stone on George Harrison‘s Dark Horse Record Label.

Both provide several interesting insights about he labels past and Harrison’s solo career in the 1970s.

But perhaps most exciting of all is the revelation of the wealth of material they have uncovered sifting through the record label’s archives.

We have people digging through mountains of tapes, and they keep coming,” Dhani enthuses. “Boxes and boxes of them.”

With George Harrison‘s solo debut All Things Must Pass turning 50 this November, Olivia has also confirmed that the Harrison family is working on something special for the release

A lot of it has been bootlegged,” Olivia says referring specifically to material from All Things Must Pass era, “but we have better versions. We have all the 24-tracks of All Things Must Pass, and we found lots of different takes and talking in the studio.”

https://cosmicmagazine.com.au/news/...ll-things-must-pass-50th-anniversary-reissue/

Old news, and here's the thread: All Things Must Pass?
I've been wondering, but it seems like their pushing it back a year, or there is nothing.
Adria Petty and Dhani are pals, and I was assuming they'd announce after the Petty box dropped, but nay.
The official George insta is promoting the Wilbury's second album, which is 30 now.

Might be worth a listen if they remove Phil's infamous reverb-laden 'wall of sound'.
My sentiments exactly. Sadly, however, most of that mess is burned into the multitracks. That's the way Spector worked his convoluted magic, apparently. This is the reason most of the reverb is still there in the 30th anniversary release, even after Harrison remixed the album. He himself lamented about all the reverb, but there was nothing that could be done.

There is an Instrumental "Art of Dying" on a Collectors CD Box set
I bought at a Record fair, some years ago.
No reverb. I have the 2CD DTS set of All Things Must Pass"
I bought that online from Argentina.

It is great in 5.1 DTS, came out at the same Time those unofficial DTS Beatles CD were out

Someone had a Proper DTS mixer /encoder "the two of us ltd"
Not Official DTS releases.
But worth buying for 40 bucks.

There is an Instrumental "Art of Dying" on a Collectors CD Box set...
No reverb.
Yes, I've heard that mix. It's much dryer than the released version. That was mostly likely a rough mix taken during the sessions, and before Spector bounced it into another track with all the reverb.

I don't think Harrison would have complained about the reverb on the album, and then remixed it in 2000 and kept the reverb, if he still had the dry tracks available to him.

Yes, I've heard that mix. It's much dryer than the released version. That was mostly likely a rough mix taken during the sessions, and before Spector bounced it into another track with all the reverb.

I don't think Harrison would have complained about the reverb on the album, and then remixed it in 2000 and kept the reverb, if he still had the dry tracks available to him.

Yes Love the 2 Guitarists
George and Dave Mason.

Tears Of The World

War Mongers Terrorize us all
Our Leaders heed us to their call
Stone Walling, voices calling
Drowning in the tears of the World

Big Business calling every tune
Polluting here to the moon
All nations, conservations

But your life is worth saving
We should start behaving
Like the truth has been told by
saviours throughout time
Your downfall you will bring it
on to yourselves

All warnings fall upon deaf ears
Their scorn compounding my worst fears
No way out - Hopeless souls shout

Where's your love has been sleeping
Has your Heart been weeping?
Over all unrighteous action in a world
Where bad jazz all they are laying down

No use in turning your blind eye
You'll feel the heat as you fry
Try your best - You'll find no rest
It's a sure bet each pays his debt

© 1981/2004 George Harrison, Warner Bros.

This track was thrown out by Warner Bros Records
in 1981. George then did another version
Save The World, that past their test.
Those words although from 1981
are so relevant to 2020

His Wife put this track out on the CD from 1976
as bonus track
The Title "33 and a half"

This is why George is Special to me
This Original track Warner Bros said NO.

My sentiments exactly. Sadly, however, most of that mess is burned into the multitracks. That's the way Spector worked his convoluted magic, apparently. This is the reason most of the reverb is still there in the 30th anniversary release, even after Harrison remixed the album. He himself lamented about all the reverb, but there was nothing that could be done.

The album was NOT remixed in 2000. That version (with the coloured cover) was a remaster.
To be clear, Harrison said he wanted to remix the album at the time, but seeing as a lot of the reverb was printed to the multis, he didn't attempt it and opted instead for a (pretty bad) remaster.
Best-sounding version of this album is the (sadly not available anymore) Hi-Res download from 2010.

https://img.discogs.com/t7YHNtdLucF...ogs-images/R-2920104-1470512357-5819.jpeg.jpg

This note is in the 30th anniversary CD. I'd always taken it to mean that George felt that he could have remixed it, but didn't. (I think the 30th is a remaster not a remix - though there is a new version of My Sweet Lord.) However, I have also read elsewhere that the reverb was mixed in as it was recorded, which would mean that it cannot be removed.

So, I think there might be some hope that something could be done (George was clearly under the impression that it might have been possible) but maybe he was wrong. The theory that the reverb is not a separate part of the mutlitrack sounds very plausible - Spector is the man who thought stereo was going too far, after all. Sadly George had a lot of other things to concern himself with in 2001.

Ah... Sorry. Because Harrison remixed a version of "My Sweet Lord" for the re-release, I had assumed the whole album had been remixed.

In any case, I think the rest of our speculations still stand.

Incidentally... I subscribe to the theory that Spector's "wall of sound" was, at its core, a product of his insecurity. I don't think he had great miking technique, and wasn't really that technically capable in general. Adding reverb to everything obfuscated the details, and yet became a style all on its own.

This reminds me of the rock bands I played in. The rehearsals were ridiculously loud, since we all sounded more competent when our ears were distorting. When we played at lower levels, it was obvious we weren't that good.

The album was NOT remixed in 2000. That version (with the coloured cover) was a remaster.
To be clear, Harrison said he wanted to remix the album at the time, but seeing as a lot of the reverb was printed to the multis, he didn't attempt it and opted instead for a (pretty bad) remaster.
Best-sounding version of this album is the (sadly not available anymore) Hi-Res download from 2010.

Yes, that CD remaster is awful. It's a real shame as ATMP is probably my favorite of The Beatles solo efforts. Also, this day in age, I would hope that there is software out there that can back out some of the reverb in a pre-recorded track without ruining it.

Is that even remotely possible? I used to work with DSP algorithms, and cannot comprehend that reverb could ever be removable.
I've gotten rid of nasty digital distortion (musicians not knowing how to record properly) using Adobe Audition and had good results. It's amazing what their algorithms can do but I've never tried with reverb. The technology might not be there yet for the big labels to be ok with. A drier version of this album would make a lot of chatter and if it didn't turn out good enough, people would be pissed they even tried.

Back