George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First run through on Atmos.

The main album just purrs with delight, with those 18 special songs.

Don't expect extravagant panning or aggressive mixes but Paul has really complimented this release with his surround mix.

But did I read somewhere that the jam session songs 🎵 were not mixed in surround?

If they were, it's hard to tell... :unsure: 😮 :confused:

Right, onto the DTS HD 5.1 mix ...

First run through on Atmos.

The main album just purrs with delight, with those 18 special songs.

Don't expect extravagant panning or aggressive mixes but Paul has really complimented this release with his surround mix.

But did I read somewhere that the jam session songs 🎵 were not mixed in surround?

If they were, it's hard to tell... :unsure: 😮 :confused:

Right, onto the DTS HD 5.1 mix ...
Is the surround mix discrete at all or “immersive”? More description please!
Thanks

Is the surround mix discrete at all or “immersive”? More description please!
Thanks
How about this for a fence sitting reply!!

There are certainly elements that are discrete and there are events which are immersive...

Don't expect a Steve Wilson mix !!

Mainly vocals and drums up front with guitar, piano, organs in the rears. With occasional supporting vocals also dispersed in the rears.

The main points I'm taking from Paul's mix is that he has subdued the Spector mashup.

I reckon on the DTS mix my rears could do with being raised a tadge. But then I did have my brother visit recently and he said 'let's wack the input up to your speakers and then you can lower the amps volume'

More fine tuning required me thinks.

But overall this is one happy camper with George's ultimate piece of work and Paul's mix.

Who knew there was lurking George the quiet genius, behind the fab two.

I'm preferring the Atmos mix so far. Plenty more listening to come.

Well my first impression of the surround mix... is... I felt as I was listening, it seemed like i needed to turn the treble up, or it seemed muffled, perhaps from trying to subdue the Phil Spector production. I wasn't exactly delighted. Spectors wall of sound productions have multi layers that need headroom, I felt I could not tune into them on some of the more dense songs. On one hand you have rich full tonal fidelity, on the other hand the beautiful open ambience is sucked out. I love to crank Wah WAh and What Is Life, I'm having a difficult time with them here. Maybe the stereo mixes will have a different presentation. I expect as I dig deeper it will come more into focus. There are sounds, instrumentation and nuance I haven't heard before, which is a plus. I was caught off guard with the arrival of the set and could not devote my undivided attention.

Last edited:
Well my first impression... is... I felt as I was listening, it seemed like i needed to turn the treble up, or it seemed muffled, perhaps from trying to subdue the Phil Spector production. I wasn't exactly delighted. Spectors wall of sound productions have multi layers that needs headroom, I felt I could not tune into them on some of the more dense songs. Perhaps as I dig deeper it will come more into focus. There are sounds, instrumentation and nuance I haven't heard before, which is a plus. I was caught off guard with the arrival of the set and could not devote my undivided attention.
Do you have an Atmos speaker set up?

The Atmos mix is certainly better, to my ears 👂

On the second Atmos run through now.

I've flipped back and forth on the song 'What is Life' between Atmos and DTS.

The mix and separation is definitely stronger on the Atmos mix.

In fact I've done the same with subsequent songs...Atmos is the winner 🏆

Last edited:
How about this for a fence sitting reply!!

There are certainly elements that are discrete and there are events which are immersive...

Don't expect a Steve Wilson mix !!

Mainly vocals and drums up front with guitar, piano, organs in the rears. With occasional supporting vocals also dispersed in the rears.

The main points I'm taking from Paul's mix is that he has subdued the Spector mashup.

I reckon on the DTS mix my rears could do with being raised a tadge. But then I did have my brother visit recently and he said 'let's wack the input up to your speakers and then you can lower the amps volume'

More fine tuning required me thinks.

But overall this is one happy camper with George's ultimate piece of work and Paul's mix.

Who knew there was lurking George the quiet genius, behind the fab two.

I'm preferring the Atmos mix so far. Plenty more listening to come.
thanks for your insights of the surround mix.

So there we have it folks....
For those unsure about investing in an Atmos setup, here is an Album that will make good use of it.

I only use heights in my 7.2.4 speaker set up , no way was I going to fit speakers into the ceiling.
But in my little bat cave that's fine.

I can still get the full effects.

I mentioned this to those who may waver when faced with a choice of ideal Atmos speaker placement.

Well my first impression of the surround mix... is... I felt as I was listening, it seemed like i needed to turn the treble up, or it seemed muffled, perhaps from trying to subdue the Phil Spector production. I wasn't exactly delighted. Spectors wall of sound productions have multi layers that need headroom, I felt I could not tune into them on some of the more dense songs. On one hand you have rich full tonal fidelity, on the other hand the beautiful open ambience is sucked out. I love to crank Wah WAh and What Is Life, I'm having a difficult time with them here. Maybe the stereo mixes will have a different presentation. Perhaps as I dig deeper it will come more into focus. There are sounds, instrumentation and nuance I haven't heard before, which is a plus. I was caught off guard with the arrival of the set and could not devote my undivided attention.
Thanks B.
Are you commenting on the DTS or the Atmos?

Back