George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just heard the DTS 5.1 it is not in the same league as the ATMOS, they have to do 2 polls its not fair if someone is voting without hearing the Atmos. Even the stereo is garbage compressed to shit.

So if one is NOT equipped for ATMOS, someone at APPLE was 'asleep at the controls.' Probably better to play the SURROUND in ATMOS fold down mode on most players.....for BEST results!

WHY is there always a fly in the ointment??????

See the source image

Just heard the DTS 5.1 it is not in the same league as the ATMOS...

It's interesting, someone over at SHF had posted waveforms comparing the 5.1 DTS-HD and 7.1 TrueHD versions of "Wah Wah" - the 7.1 has the guitar intro coming entirely from the rear speakers, whereas it's positioned sort of half-way between front & rear on the dedicated 5.1 mix. I wonder if that has to do with how the Atmos object data is folded into the floor speakers, or if it was an intentional choice?

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.30.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.30.43 PM.png

For what it's worth - the 7.1/Atmos mix of Lennon's Gimme Some Truth was also technically more 'discrete' and dynamic than the 5.1 DTS-HD, but it sounds unbalanced on my system. Way too much vocal and drum sound in the rear speakers, whereas the vocals are pegged to the center speaker on the dedicated 5.1 mix. I'm expecting a similar result here.

I also did a quick check of the new CD stereo version of "My Sweet Lord" and "Let It Down" with the 2001 versions, using headphones. Much less compression, to my ears. I expect the tech savvy members on this forum with be able to confirm with graphic renderings.

Well, Amazon Spain updated my order for the Blu-ray box today. They are planning to deliver on January 7th, 2022. I guess is a major f*** up on their database, have tried to explain to their support that it's available everywhere else... but no luck so far.
Anyway, I'll be able to listen tomorrow on Apple Music, really looking forward to it

I’m the best kind of jealous of everyone getting this so quickly! I normally wouldn’t post this but it may be handy as a data point for others who preordered from importCDs

I preordered from ImportCDs early on. Yesterday morning it was charged to my card but I still have no shipping alert. Shipping to Maryland is usually three days once I’m notified.

Anyhow.

So glad my latest TIDAL trial doesn’t expire for a few weeks. Not as good an experience, as we all know, but I hope to be listening to the ATMOS tomorrow. Who knows. Will definitely download the stereo and listen to the mix on AirPods Pro — no spatial ATMOSy stuff but might play with spatial stereo while hiking. I’ll be eagerly reading people’s thoughts here, the only forum I’m (barely) active on.

Just heard the DTS 5.1 it is not in the same league as the ATMOS, they have to do 2 polls its not fair if someone is voting without hearing the Atmos. Even the stereo is garbage compressed to shit.
In a 7.1 mix channels 7 and 8 are the sides. 5 and 6 are the rears.
I finally got my system back up and running yesterday afternoon. :SB So my understanding of this ATMOS layer is that I can select it from the disc and my Oppo 205 will decode it as 7.1 Dolby True HD. So although I do not have ATMOS, the resulting 7.1 sound field should be more immersive than the DTS 5.1 layer. Yes?

I finally got my system back up and running yesterday afternoon. :SB So my understanding of this ATMOS layer is that I can select it from the disc and my Oppo 205 will decode it as 7.1 Dolby True HD. So although I do not have ATMOS, the resulting 7.1 sound field should be more immersive than the DTS 5.1 layer. Yes?
Yes.

I’m the best kind of jealous of everyone getting this so quickly! I normally wouldn’t post this but it may be handy as a data point for others who preordered from importCDs

I preordered from ImportCDs early on. Yesterday morning it was charged to my card but I still have no shipping alert. Shipping to Maryland is usually three days once I’m notified.

Anyhow.

So glad my latest TIDAL trial doesn’t expire for a few weeks. Not as good an experience, as we all know, but I hope to be listening to the ATMOS tomorrow. Who knows. Will definitely download the stereo and listen to the mix on AirPods Pro — no spatial ATMOSy stuff but might play with spatial stereo while hiking. I’ll be eagerly reading people’s thoughts here, the only forum I’m (barely) active on.

I just got a tracking number e-mail from them this morning, for the low price I'm happy to wait for the postal service to get it here in the time frame I paid for. :cool:

Anybody seen the new Sun Science forever stamps?

480804-Z0.jpg

Paul Hicks talks a bit about the Atmos mix in this in-depth S&V piece.
For the Dolby Atmos mix, something at which Hicks excels, he says, "It's a really, really immersive mix. Probably the most immersive mix I've done." For the stereo guitar tracks, mentioned above, he placed those to the sides and the back, to provide a deeply immersive mix. "They're nicely balanced to begin with. So you constantly feel 'in it.'" He took advantage of the height of the Atmos volume, to place Harrison's vocal more within the space, giving a more intimate experience. And the Trident overdubs, with additional tracks of material, gave him yet more layers to play with, for songs such as "My Sweet Lord," with items like the multiple background vocals, strings and autoharp, and "Let It Down" and others.

So I gather many here without Atmos will rip the 7.1 and create their own 5.1 mix?

I won't be ripping the stereo mixes - extreme DR compression :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: George Harrison / All Things Must Pass (50th Anniversary / Super Deluxe)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR6 -0.40 dB -8.92 dB 2:58 01-I'd Have You Anytime (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.40 dB -9.41 dB 4:41 02-My Sweet Lord (2020 Mix)
DR6 -0.34 dB -7.79 dB 5:38 03-Wah-Wah (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.40 dB -9.61 dB 7:11 04-Isn't It A Pity (Version 1 / 2020 Mix)
DR6 -0.40 dB -8.11 dB 4:24 05-What Is Life (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.70 dB -9.58 dB 3:31 06-If Not For You (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.40 dB -8.90 dB 3:07 07-Behind That Locked Door (2020 Mix)
DR6 -0.40 dB -8.81 dB 4:58 08-Let It Down (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.36 dB -9.28 dB 2:53 09-Run Of The Mill (2020 Mix)
Number of tracks: 9
Official DR value: DR7
Samplerate: 192000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 4895 kbps
================================================================================

Analyzed: George Harrison / All Things Must Pass (50th Anniversary / Super Deluxe)
DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR7 -0.40 dB -8.80 dB 3:52 01-Beware Of Darkness (2020 Mix)
DR11 -0.40 dB -13.30 dB 3:07 02-Apple Scruffs (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.40 dB -9.11 dB 3:48 03-Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) (2020 Mix)
DR6 -0.40 dB -7.66 dB 2:48 04-Awaiting On You All (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.40 dB -9.05 dB 3:47 05-All Things Must Pass (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.90 dB -9.07 dB 4:57 06-I Dig Love (2020 Mix)
DR6 -0.40 dB -7.84 dB 3:39 07-Art Of Dying (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.40 dB -9.99 dB 4:48 08-Isn't It A Pity (Version 2 / 2020 Mix)
DR5 -0.90 dB -7.68 dB 5:50 09-Hear Me Lord (2020 Mix)
DR7 -0.47 dB -10.42 dB 11:16 10-Out Of The Blue (Remastered 2020)
DR9 -1.80 dB -13.00 dB 0:50 11-It's Johnny's Birthday (Remastered 2020)
DR5 -0.90 dB -7.62 dB 3:19 12-Plug Me In (Remastered 2020)
DR8 -0.40 dB -8.95 dB 8:08 13-I Remember Jeep (Remastered 2020)
DR6 -0.31 dB -7.69 dB 5:33 14-Thanks For The Pepperoni (Remastered 2020)
Number of tracks: 14
Official DR value: DR7
Samplerate: 192000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 5216 kbps
================================================================================

Back