George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotten rid of nasty digital distortion (musicians not knowing how to record properly) using Adobe Audition and had good results. It's amazing what their algorithms can do but I've never tried with reverb. The technology might not be there yet for the big labels to be ok with. A drier version of this album would make a lot of chatter and if it didn't turn out good enough, people would be pissed they even tried.

Good point about attempting to manipulate the reverb and creating a 'drier' mix. At this juncture, provided someone like a Steve Wilson working from the intact multi track masters could tackle this project, I'd settle for a nicely discrete BD~A 192/24 from the original analogue masters. To expect perfection from Spectorized overindulgence would probably be futile!

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/features/de-reverb.html
You can greatly reduce it but not totally remove it.
I was going to post something similar -- there's tricks in audio engineering that can strip some of the reverb effect from a track without sacrificing the audio quality. I've done this with stems I've been given, usually some targeted compression for mono tracks and/or stereo field reduction (preserving only the center of the stereo field) works. Depending on the specific reverb effect, EQ adjustment can go a long ways as well. "Room" reverb is sometimes the hardest to remove since it encompasses the widest range of frequencies. It really depends on the reflective material in the space/reverb plugin/rack equipment model and settings used.

I just listened to this 2020 de-Spectorized version from the Harrison estate. It's got less reverb and the lead vocals are louder for sure, but the quality of the sound seems "cramped", for lack of a better word. Harrison's voice sounds like it's in a box, is a bit boomy, and is lacking high end. All the instruments are more canned sounding, too, and have a feeling of a reverse-gate reverb effect.

... or maybe I was expecting all this processing to make it sound something like this, and so I'm now imagining it? Does anyone else feel there's something wrong here? I'm very interested in other people's take on this.

I just listened to this 2020 de-Spectorized version from the Harrison estate. It's got less reverb and the lead vocals are louder for sure, but the quality of the sound seems "cramped", for lack of a better word. Harrison's voice sounds like it's in a box, is a bit boomy, and is lacking high end. All the instruments are more canned sounding, too, and have a feeling of a reverse-gate reverb effect.

... or maybe I was expecting all this processing to make it sound something like this, and so I'm now imagining it? Does anyone else feel there's something wrong here? I'm very interested in other people's take on this.

It is certainly less expansive and "deader" sounding. But it's also more upfront. I think part of what you're hearing is due to the compression in the mastering (especially the "cramped" feeling).
I still enjoy it greatly and can't wait for this alternate take on the album.

It is certainly less expansive and "deader" sounding. But it's also more upfront. I think part of what you're hearing is due to the compression in the mastering (especially the "cramped" feeling).
Quite possibly!

Still... Could you speculate on why I don't feel the Spector mix also feels less cramped, if you're attributing the feeling to Spector's compression? Both the original and 2020 mixes would still have that compression. (Of course, they could have intentionally compressed his voice more, or even tried to expand it).

I admit it could only seem more cramped because I can hear the compression better, now that the reverb is no longer distracting... but I'm not sure about that. I'm still leaving room for the possibility that all that de-reverb processing has stolen something else. I would contend that "deader" could be something more sinister than just "dryer".

Also, I'm thinking this is more about harmonics than dynamics.

Frankly, I know I could be very biased here. I came into this listening experience suspicious of the transparency of the wildly complex algorithms used in de-reverbing. I have enough experience with DSP to believe this "deverbing" (?) could easily do detrimental things to the sound of a voice. There's a lot of amazing things that rattle around in a larynx, creating the rich harmonics that we perceive as timbre. Harrison had the larynx of a 3-4 packs/day chain-smoker. That's a lot of opportunity for an algorithm to mistake the interesting harmonics for the reverb it's trying to kill.

Last edited:
Quite possibly!

Still... Could you speculate on why I don't feel the Spector mix also feels less cramped, if you're attributing the feeling to Spector's compression? Both the original and 2020 mixes would still have that compression. (Of course, they could have intentionally compressed his voice more, or even tried to expand it).

I admit it could only seem more cramped because I can hear the compression better, now that the reverb is no longer distracting... but I'm not sure about that. I'm still leaving room for the possibility that all that de-reverb processing has stolen something else. I would contend that "deader" could be something more sinister than just "dryer".

Also, I'm thinking this is more about harmonics than dynamics.

Frankly, I know I could be very biased here. I came into this listening experience suspicious of the transparency of the wildly complex algorithms used in de-reverbing. I have enough experience with DSP to believe this "deverbing" (?) could easily do detrimental things to the sound of a voice. There's a lot of amazing things that rattle around in a larynx, creating the rich harmonics that we perceive as timbre. Harrison had the larynx of a 3-4 packs/day chain-smoker. That's a lot of opportunity for an algorithm to mistake the interesting harmonics for the reverb it's trying to kill.

I was thinking mastering compression, not mix compression. And frankly, we don't know what was the process used in the remixing. So all that talk of "de-verbing" is speculation.

I was thinking mastering compression, not mix compression.
I was thinking mix compression, as Harrison's voice sounds strange and isolated. The rest of the mix seems less problematic to me.
And frankly, we don't know what was the process used in the remixing. So all that talk of "de-verbing" is speculation.
Sure, but it's not completely ungrounded speculation. Spector is known for burning most of his wall-of-reverb into the multitracks. I have some stems of other songs on the album, and I found that mostly to be true. Plus... Dhani Harrison attributed this new mix to advances in technology, and reiterated that his father grew to lament the album's reverb.

Speculations aside, does anyone else have feelings about the new mix?

Good news, everyone.

“In celebration of the 50th Anniversary, George Harrison’s, All Things Must Pass is being celebrated with a suite of new releases highlighted by a stunning new mix of the classic album by Grammy Award-winning mixer/engineer Paul Hicks, overseen by executive producer Dhani Harrison. The Super Deluxe Edition CD collects 70 tracks across 5 CDs including 47 (42 previously unreleased) demo recordings, session outtakes and studio jams all housed in a beautiful slipcase. A Blu-Ray audio disc presenting the main album in hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos is also featured. The collection contains a beautiful 56-page scrapbook curated by Olivia Harrison, with unseen imagery and memorabilia from the era, handwritten lyrics, diary entries, studio notes, tape box images, a comprehensive track-by-track and more. It also includes a replica of the original album poster.

Source: George Harrison’s official site, All Things Must Pass Deluxe 5CD/Blu-Ray

List price appears to be $150. Steep, but not surprising. Here’s hoping for some decently discounted retailers.

Last edited:
Good news, everyone.

“In celebration of the 50th Anniversary, George Harrison’s, All Things Must Pass is being celebrated with a suite of new releases highlighted by a stunning new mix of the classic album by Grammy Award-winning mixer/engineer Paul Hicks, overseen by executive producer Dhani Harrison. The Super Deluxe Edition CD collects 70 tracks across 5 CDs including 47 (42 previously unreleased) demo recordings, session outtakes and studio jams all housed in a beautiful slipcase. A Blu-Ray audio disc presenting the main album in hi-res stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos is also featured. The collection contains a beautiful 56-page scrapbook curated by Olivia Harrison, with unseen imagery and memorabilia from the era, handwritten lyrics, diary entries, studio notes, tape box images, a comprehensive track-by-track and more. It also includes a replica of the original album poster.

Source: All Things Must Pass Deluxe 5CD/Blu-Ray

List price appears to be $150. Steep, but not surprising. Here’s hoping for some decently discounted retailers.

A DREAM COME TRUE!🌈

A DREAM COME TRUE!🌈
Some things come to pass.

One exciting aspect is that these surround mixes mean it might be easier for us to dial down some of the Spectorization to suit individual tastes even if the mixes don’t live up to what we’re all now hoping for.

Last edited:
Back