George Michael

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very interesting findings, Dan T 🙂

i just ran a basic little experiment, set all my Speakers to Large, kept the Sub On and had a flick through all the new George Michael Atmos songs.

the only songs that had an active LFE channel (as distinct from Crossedover content when running Speakers set to Small and the Low Bass content redirected to the Subwoofer at a given crossover) were on the Patience album from 2004.

all the other albums, including Faith, Older, Listen Without Prejudice, the covers album and the Symphonica Live album had absolutely nothing that i could detect going on in the LFE at all, with all Speakers set to Large and the Sub On.

i then set the Speakers back to Small with a global Crossover of 80Hz and wow.. all this lovely deep, warm Bass kicked in!! ✌👍
I just did the same test with Freedom '90 with the same results. All speakers set to large and barely any LFE. Changed speakers to small with an 80Hz crossover and the bass kicked right in. :)

I love the mixes, but I too noticed the weirdly anemic bass, unless I use Bass Management to get stuff to my sub.

i must be getting the wrong end of the stick, i don't know how to setup a Sub in a Surround system without some kind of Bass Management going on?

fwiw, i noticed there was even Bass in the Front Heights on my system in some of these George Michael Atmos mixes that was low enough it was beefier in-room when crossed over to the Sub @80Hz than when those Heights were run "Large"/Full Range, so i think maybe the expectation on the Atmos Engineer's part may have been for the end user to be running a Bass Managed setup and so the Engineer consequently mixed low Bass into all the Full-range channels and nothing in the LFE

fwiw, i noticed there was even Bass in the Front Heights on my system in some of these George Michael Atmos mixes...
Low frequency content in the heights is fairly uncommon, but you do see it on occasion - there's a track on Tom Petty's Angel Dream where a big timpani drum appears entirely isolated up there!

i must be getting the wrong end of the stick, i don't know how to setup a Sub in a Surround system without some kind of Bass Management going on?

fwiw, i noticed there was even Bass in the Front Heights on my system in some of these George Michael Atmos mixes that was low enough it was beefier in-room when crossed over to the Sub @80Hz than when those Heights were run "Large"/Full Range, so i think maybe the expectation on the Atmos Engineer's part may have been for the end user to be running a Bass Managed setup and so the Engineer consequently mixed low Bass into all the Full-range channels and nothing in the LFE
Freddie, in the past this post has helped me with my system, mostly about oppo players, but see if there's anything in there that might help out-

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...ay-player-owner-s-thread-10.html#post52592073

I just listened to "Faith" and it sounds quite good. But, there is definitely as lack of bass. I recall this having a lot of nice bass in stereo back in high school on the car stereo 😁

I had my front speakers crossed over at 50hz, and the rest at 80. I changed my fronts to 80 and it helped a little, but I still had to turn up the sub +8db to get it to sound right. It did sound very good after that adjustment, but that kind of adjustment is very unusual.

I put on Kid Rock "Cowboy" afterwards because I recall the bass being powerful in that Atmos mix. A +8db subwoofer boost nearly shook out my fillings! Way too much!

So, as good as the George Michael mixes are, there is something wrong with how the bass is handled. Or maybe it is how the bass management is implemented in my prepro (Anthem AVM60).

Wow, thanks a bunch! Downloading now. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight 😄

What is it with Tidal hiding some releases from the Atmos hub/artist page?
Couldn't find those anywhere!

Cool, you're gonna love 'em, they really are great mixes, I was surprised.

Yeah Tidal really are clueless as an organization in so many ways.

There have been tons of important Atmos releases that have never made it to any of the new or recent Atmos releases lists/pages.

Without users like us constantly scouring and searching and talking we'd never know about them.

There have been gross errors with things they do put on those pages and they just ignore it when you tell them about it.

Then on top of that they charge double what Apple does and it's really just laughable.

Cool, you're gonna love 'em, they really are great mixes, I was surprised.

Yeah Tidal really are clueless as an organization in so many ways.

There have been tons of important Atmos releases that have never made it to any of the new or recent Atmos releases lists/pages.

Without users like us constantly scouring and searching and talking we'd never know about them.

There have been gross errors with things they do put on those pages and they just ignore it when you tell them about it.

Then on top of that they charge double what Apple does and it's really just laughable.
No kidding, halfway through Faith now (5.1 core only), sounds great!
Nicely dynamic, had to turn it down a notch when Hard Day came in 😅 it's actually so much louder than Look at Your Hands for example, it sounds like a volume issue with the files. Will need to look into this later.

And Tidal, yeah, if it wasn't for the ability to download and archive the stuff they put up, I wouldn't have bothered and just bought an Apple TV by now.

Still, it's strange releases of GM's calibre just get lost in the shuffle.. maybe they're waiting for 360RA mixes since it's Sony and the Atmos files just got published by accident somehow? Wasn't there a similar 'hidden' release of the Atmos mix of Space Oddity that got pulled?

Back