Giancarlo Erra - Departure Tapes (cd & dvd-v/a 5.1 stereo/surround lossless)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosound

QQ Supporter
Hi all

as previously discussed in another topic here Forthcoming releases surround formats (new solo, new Nosound, reissue Memories Of Machines) (thanks again for all your feedback) finally I can announce the release of my new, second solo album, Departure Tapes.

vinyl external cover front small.jpg

The album will be released on the 2nd of July, again on Kscope. As promised the surround is back in my forthcoming releases, and this is just the first one.

So we have a lovely oxblood red coloured vinyl 200g, and then we have a cd/dvd-v/a containing stereo 24/28 lpcm, surround Dolby and DTS9624 :LB, and a dvd-a side containing surround 24/48 lpcm.

In addition to all this, for every order of either format, if you buy as usual from my official shop at Burning Shed there's going to be a hires flac 24/48 stereo and surround download available on release day! :cool:

Giancarlo Erra

A first single is going to be out tomorrow on all digital streaming platforms, Departure Tape, in an edited version from the original 16 minutes long version on the album:

"Of all the albums I wrote in my career across my projects, Departure Tapes is arguably the most deeply personal I ever did. And the one that was at the same time the most difficult and the most easy to come out.

In 2019, just after the release of first solo album ENDS, my father was diagnosed with a terminal cancer. Like many others in my situation, it's hard to forget the moment doctors tell you there's nothing they can do. In my specific case, there was also another problem: a relationship with my father that has always been very tumultous and problematic. And yet I felt this was a painful twist in our story, a second and final chance to make things right and give to both of us a sense of closure.

What followed were months of endless flights between UK and Italy, calls, hope, despair, but also forgiveness, care, compassion, realization, all the things that somehow we were never able to express.
Although I knew it was going to make things even more painful, I let these last few months being the most close and sometimes beautiful I had with him, and they became the hardest and yet more healing I ever experienced.
During all this time, be it a flight or while staying in his room while he was sleeping, I always had with me my OP1 or my computer. I needed to process all these feelings, and music it's the only way I know to do that. Without really thinking about it, I was writing music and saving ideas, sounds, chords, all expression of this situation that was tearing myself apart, divided between the joy of recovering the relationship with my father and the pain of knowing it was going to end up just now.

A couple of months after he passed away, I decided to go back through all this material and I was surprised how every single piece and sound was reminding me very specific moments, sights, smells, voices, places, feelings. I was also surprised to notice that somehow they were all linked, there was a story I didn't see at the time but I was seeing now. It all made sense, the most bitter and most sweet of the stories I wrote.
That's how Departure Tapes was born. I decided then to go through all this material and actually record each track live in my studio on my own, to keep that original 'urgency of the moment' alive. Using my analog synthesisers, piano, computer, sequencers, even AI algorithms to improvise with me, an engineering work derived from my solo live shows, every track was recorded live.

The final result is an album that contains all the emotions of those few months, all the difficulty of deeply contrasting feelings, the loss of my father and the discovery of a once lost relationship, the unspoken urgency of telling each other what we never did before it was too late, and most of all the forgiveness we gave each other to say goodbye as father and son.

That's all that Departure Tapes is. And I hope it will be an emotional journey I'll share with all of you, each and every one of you with their own story to tell with it. I know my dad as well would be happy to share this story with all of you.
"

I'm lucky enough to have heard it, and also its gestation. Don't expect an 'easy' listen. The surround mix adds to the music. The music is emotional, poignant, its tumultuous, in that it puts into sound/music the feelings/emotional ups & downs that you go through when you understand that you are going to lose a parent, yet by the end of the album you feel it is uplifting.

I'm lucky enough to have heard it, and also its gestation. Don't expect an 'easy' listen. The surround mix adds to the music. The music is emotional, poignant, its tumultuous, in that it puts into sound/music the feelings/emotional ups & downs that you go through when you understand that you are going to lose a parent, yet by the end of the album you feel it is uplifting.

Duncan as usual is a really precious and supporting music lover and he had a big role during testing. So we should all thank him for his hard work burning and testing stuff at very last minute :devilish:

One question Duncan...did I ever release an album that was an "easy" listen? :ROFLMAO:

Duncan as usual is a really precious and supporting music lover and he had a big role during testing. So we should all thank him for his hard work burning and testing stuff at very last minute :devilish:

One question Duncan...did I ever release an album that was an "easy" listen? :ROFLMAO:

I also pre~0rdered your album from the burning shed website and thank you for including a LOSSESS 5.1 remix in LPCM! Bless you, Giancarlo!

See the source image

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this new music, and making it available as a DVD-A set.....my order is in. Love the edit and can hardly wait to hear this in surround.

Thanks much for the DVDA!
I keep trying to order but PayPal is not playing nice with me. I'm confident we'll get it done eventually however.

Any thoughts of releasing Sol129 in surround?

So in terms of Paypal, you can either pay with a Paypal account or with a credit card (it should offer below the login button an option to simply pay with credit card). Otherwise anyway people at the Shed are very good helping out :) [email protected]

Sol29 it's something I've been asked for a few times...for now I can only say I can't say much but I could say something at some point ;-)

Thanks for your support!

Another buyer of the CD/DVD version, I really liked the new single.
Thanks Giancarlo for sharing your music after your experience with your father. One must be really brave to expose your feelings to the world, even if they take the shape of music

Another buyer of the CD/DVD version, I really liked the new single.
Thanks Giancarlo for sharing your music after your experience with your father. One must be really brave to expose your feelings to the world, even if they take the shape of music

Thanks a lot for your support and kind words :)

I started making music 15 years ago because mostly for myself is the only way I can express and elaborate things..and then I discovered that others were sharing my same struggle, and my music was connecting and helping..and that's why I feel more lucky than brave, lucky that I can touch or even help others while actually healing myself.

Thank you guys, your eager support is what makes this all worth, both personally and financially speaking. If you ever post on your socials about that, please tag or quote Kscope as well so they can have an idea of the fact that actually people like when there's an additional DVD with hires/surround audio :cool:
Your support of surround and your openness here is much appreciated- I will order today!
I don’t social anywhere on the internet but here. Keep up the great work - I’m even considering the LP set :love:

*edit -
Yup, ordered with LP bundle- PayPal :dance

Last edited:
Giancarlo, I appreciate very much that you did a real DVD-A with lossless sound. Often you get stereo in LPCM, but surround in Dolby Digital only on DVD. I have no clue why.
Thank you. I'll pre order at burning shed soon.

Back