Giancarlo Erra & Tim Bowness - Memories Of Machines CD/DVD-A/V with new stereo & 5.1 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As @haikubass has posted (3) Forthcoming releases surround formats (new solo, new Nosound, reissue Memories Of Machines) | Page 4 | QuadraphonicQuad Home Audio Forum (y):)

1639413094879.png

The new mixes of Memories Of Machines will be released on Feb 25th. in the same format as Giancarlo's solo so CD & DVD-A/V. So with the same 'crude' DVD-A section (i.e. the default menu is 'poor', but you get the 5.1 LPCM).

For those that don't know the album it was a 2011 release collaboration between Giancarlo & Tim, and had a host of guests, so the well known artists on it are Colin Edwin, Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill, & Julianne Regan.

I've listened and tested the surround and its another nice Immersive mix from Giancarlo.

So Giancarlo will post shortly.

Hello everyone, finally as I've been asked many times about this release, now is official and yes for the first time will be available in 5.1!

This is a pretty much different version than the original release, as I took back the production seat and started back from the original recordings we did with Tim and all the other great collaborators on the album (Peter Hammill and Robert Fripp to name just a couple!).

At the time of release in 2011 we wanted to try a different direction with Tim, more 'rock', but I then always felt like something got lost on the way from the original recordings. During lockdown I spent a lot of time recovering the original session from an older computer, porting everything in my actual setup, and basically started from those session as we last left them.

I rediscovered an album full of additional sounds, parts, spaces, different arrangements sometimes, an outtake that was basically finished, and I fell in love all over again with these songs, that I consider still today one of the best me and Tim wrote. There was a magic in those, we were in a phase of life that was similar although shifted of some years, and I think that's all over the album.

Obviously as I got back to the project, I did eventually also the surround, that Duncan helped testing on the same dvd-v/a system used for my solo (very simple and separated layers so no fancy interfaces or videos but all audio at max quality).

If you have any question, let me know...there's a single out there, I'm looking forward to hear what you think...and maybe for Christmas I might decide to share a surround flac of the single if you REALLY ask and want it in PM...and hopefully that will convince you buying the cd/dvd and/or vinyl ;-)

Just a question Giancarlo, will it be available in all the regular retailers?

Yes this is released on Kscope, so wherever you can find other Kscope releases you’ll be able to find this. Physical stores are always hit or miss, but online retailers in every Country should have it. If any problem you can ask me in PM and I can ask Kscope.

Yes this is released on Kscope, so wherever you can find other Kscope releases you’ll be able to find this. Physical stores are always hit or miss, but online retailers in every Country should have it. If any problem you can ask me in PM and I can ask Kscope.
Thanks, it'll be a matter of waiting for it to appear on any non UK based retailer. This is a personal favourite album to me and I love it as it is, so I'm very curious about your rework.
By the way, Steven Wilson is not mentioned in any of the press releases, will his contribution on Lucky you, lucky me be kept in the new version?
And one more question, if you allow me to: from an artist point of view, have you thought of uploading also the 5.1 to the streaming platforms? Apple TV offers what seem to be Dolby encoded albums in 5.1

As for Steven, when he got my original recordings he then made his contribution, so on Lucky You you’ll find instead what I played there originally (that was anyway a guitar ☺️). As for digital, I would not want Dolby encoded as it’s not good quality compared to DTS or lossless LPCM (both on the dvd). I might start releasing at some point all surround downloads on some platforms, but there are two problems with it for now. First one is time..my full attention is now on releases announced and on new Nosound album and gigs. Second is that the moment we’ll have downloads, for our volumes we’ll have to drop any physical disc as sales/cost will not justify it (I mean most of potential buyers want only the cd not the dvd, so that as a cost would be cut to make it more affordable for everyone else). And last time here many were not happy about that prospect..as usual, you can’t make everyone happy 😂

Sure, a 5.1 flac download of the single would be appreciated, but personally I don't need any convincing at all - I'll be buying this one without question. I always really liked the album and I'm very interested in hearing this new interpretation.

So today I have been testing the DVD-A/V pressing, and it works flawlessly, so get yer orders in release date is 25th February - only £12.99

TBGE-MoM-Test-Disc.jpg
1642103007201.png

Memories Of Machines (burningshed.com)

An expanded and remixed 10th Anniversary version of Tim Bowness and Giancarlo Erra’s 2011 album Warm Winter (now issued as Memories Of Machines, the original project name).

Featuring contributions from Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill, Julianne Regan, Jim Matheos, Colin Edwin, Huxflux Nettermalm, Peter Chilvers, Aleksei Saks and members of Nosound and Tim Bowness’s live bands, the album contains 10 sweeping and majestic songs (culminating in the epic “At The Centre Of It All”).

The 2 disc - CD/DVD-A/V version includes hi-res stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes in addition to two 2020 recordings - an album outtake and a new version of the Nosound piece “Someone Starts To Fade Away” - created especially for this release.

Featuring a 2021 remix from the original tapes by Giancarlo Erra, this new edition emphasises the textural nature of the music and restores the pieces to their original arrangements and track lengths (resulting in a different listening experience).

The artwork has also been overhauled for this release by Giancarlo Erra and Caroline Traitler.

Purchases through Burning Shed come with a download of the original 2011 mix upon release date (available in Your Account).

Comes with postcard signed by Tim Bowness and Giancarlo Erra (whilst stocks last).

As an addendum, I have been talking to Giancarlo over the last few days as he has channelled his inner Chucky! :eek:

On New Years Day he broke his leg badly in three places and had to have surgery and metal rods inserted, he is now stuck upstairs and very frustrated and extremely bored - so he has a hospital appointment tomorrow when hopefully the surgeon will have the plaster taken off and he can move about the house.

So :51QQ good luck for tomorrow Giancarlo (y) and that you'll be up and :rocks soon

So today I have been testing the DVD-A/V pressing, and it works flawlessly, so get yer orders in release date is 25th February - only £12.99

View attachment 75183 View attachment 75184

Memories Of Machines (burningshed.com)

An expanded and remixed 10th Anniversary version of Tim Bowness and Giancarlo Erra’s 2011 album Warm Winter (now issued as Memories Of Machines, the original project name).

Featuring contributions from Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill, Julianne Regan, Jim Matheos, Colin Edwin, Huxflux Nettermalm, Peter Chilvers, Aleksei Saks and members of Nosound and Tim Bowness’s live bands, the album contains 10 sweeping and majestic songs (culminating in the epic “At The Centre Of It All”).

The 2 disc - CD/DVD-A/V version includes hi-res stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes in addition to two 2020 recordings - an album outtake and a new version of the Nosound piece “Someone Starts To Fade Away” - created especially for this release.

Featuring a 2021 remix from the original tapes by Giancarlo Erra, this new edition emphasises the textural nature of the music and restores the pieces to their original arrangements and track lengths (resulting in a different listening experience).

The artwork has also been overhauled for this release by Giancarlo Erra and Caroline Traitler.

Purchases through Burning Shed come with a download of the original 2011 mix upon release date (available in Your Account).

Comes with postcard signed by Tim Bowness and Giancarlo Erra
(whilst stocks last).
Ordered! :)

Thanks guys...as Duncan said, I'm basically blocked at home and very limited in what I can do still for a few weeks...but following closely as much as I can :) As usual thanks a lot for your support for physical releases!
A bit of New Year Cheer to help speed up your recovery.
Looking forward to plenty of sound :)
And...pre-ordered!!

Thanks guys...as Duncan said, I'm basically blocked at home and very limited in what I can do still for a few weeks...but following closely as much as I can :) As usual thanks a lot for your support for physical releases!
I could always be worse, so cheer up! Whole family stuck at home here with the freaking covid.
And the more people sick at home, the less chances to listen to any music :cry:

Back