Gilbert O' Sullivan in Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in Gilbert O'Sullivan quad reissues?

• Total voters
I do not know who this is.

Consider yourself lucky. He had a #1 single in the early '70s that was played ad inifinitum on pop radio. Perhaps this extreme overexposure has poisoned my opinion of him.

The Beatles "She Love You" was #1 here for 5 weeks and I was absolutely, positively sick of hearing it. Oh but those harmonies and the 6th chord at the end keep it so endearing 50+ years later.

So I'll keep buying The Beatles over an over again until technology comes up with AI Beatle androids that can play the stuff live in my living room on demand. But no Gilbert O'Sullivan...ever.

You know, not all his stuff is so saccharine. The two Quad he does have feature a couple jaunty little rockers that you'll never hear anywhere else. It's a shame that Alone Again was not an album cut and was only a single release. Still, if they did do a Quad, using the tracklist of the 2012 remaster, then that would add Alone Again, Doo-Wakka-Doo and Save It. But then they'd have to find the multi's for those, remix, something I just don't think is going to happen to a non-entity like Gilbert. Shame though, the Quads are actually quite nice. Discrete, but not Billy Joel discrete. Nice, calm, benefiting the type of music he plays, I think.

a best of would be ok in quad...his standard album track non hits were rather variable to say the least, but between the hits and his best album tracks you could get 50 mins to an hour of decent music.....

Well, I most certainly would have welcomed Gilbert O' Sullivan in quad. And Kenny Rogers & The First Edition (NOT the Liberty recordings).

There's a track on his first album (Himself) called Too Much Attention which has a decent groove to it. Hidden gem.

Could we make this thread a poll about whether or not one would purchase SACDs of the Gilbert quads? (Or dvd-a or bluray) If it gets enough response, we could email a link, and I think he'd at least look at the thread. His sister responds to emails, and a while back I actually sent him a reel conversion of I'm a writer not a fighter, which she told me he would listen to. However, he was focused on current projects at the time and wasn't interested it focusing on quad reissues at that time. Maybe if we catch him at a less busy time and demonstrate enough interest, that could change.

What's with all the hate for Gilbert O'Sullivan around here? I like Gilbert O'Sullivan. I have the Q8 of Back To Front, the QR of I'm A Writer, Not A Fighter, and the rare CD4 of Back to Front is on my want list. And, Gilbert seems to have control of his catalog, I think he's been putting out his albums on CD himself through his website lately. Reissuing those quads could actually be something that could possibly be done.

Could we make this thread a poll about whether or not one would purchase SACDs of the Gilbert quads? (Or dvd-a or bluray) If it gets enough response, we could email a link, and I think he'd at least look at the thread. His sister responds to emails, and a while back I actually sent him a reel conversion of I'm a writer not a fighter, which she told me he would listen to. However, he was focused on current projects at the time and wasn't interested it focusing on quad reissues at that time. Maybe if we catch him at a less busy time and demonstrate enough interest, that could change.

Not hate at all. I am just reflecting what Marshall has said. At any rate, I put up the poll, as just because AF is not interested, that does not mean someone else might be.

Go forth and VOTE! :)

Not hate at all. I am just reflecting what Marshall has said. At any rate, I put up the poll, as just because AF is not interested, that does not mean someone else might be.

Go forth and VOTE! :)

Exactly. There are a lot of companies doing reissues these days. Could show up as a new CD someday. Who knows?

Exactly. There are a lot of companies doing reissues these days. Could show up as a new CD someday. Who knows?

Perhaps as an MP3 download. Easy, convenient and doesn't take up much space.

An AC3 download would be better than mp3. Can be burned straight to disc, or played straight off flash stick.

To me, the only acceptable download option would be something lossless, like multichannel flac, or an iso image. With the technology available to us today, there's just no reason to dick around with lossy anymore, and anyone that releases something without a lossless option is a fucking moron.

Not quite sure what I would do with an ISO image, but DSD or FLAC would be fairly acceptable, depending on price.

Back