Giles Martin to re-mix Sgt Pepper's Atmos Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key_wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Also talks about hoping to do Rubber Soul and Revolver one day

“It’s a bit like someone you love for years having a slightly different haircut,” says Giles Martin. “And you realize you still love them.” The producer is talking about his Beatles remixes, which have been available in their most expansive form on Apple Music since June, when the service launched their Dolby Atmos-driven spatial audio feature. As more listeners than ever before encounter Martin’s Atmos mixes of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road (which happens to be one of the most impressive spatial-audio showcases from any artist), he dug into the technical marvels and challenges of three-dimensional sound, explained why the current version of Sgt. Pepper’s won’t stick around much longer, and much more.

Sgt. Pepper’s was the first Atmos mix you did. What was that process like?

Sgt. Pepper’s, how it’s being presented right now, I’m actually going to change it. It doesn’t sound quite right to me. It’s out in Apple Music right now. But I’m gonna replace it. It’s good. But it’s not right. Sgt. Pepper’s was, I think, the first album ever mixed in Dolby Atmos. And we did that as a theatrical presentation. I liked the idea of the Beatles being the first to do something. It’s cool that they can still be the first to do something. So Sgt. Pepper’s is a theatrical mix that’s then being converted into a smaller medium. Therefore, it’s not quite right. I’m gonna go back to the theatrical mix and and make it into what’s called near-field Dolby Atmos, as opposed to the cinema Dolby Atmos. It’s a bit bright. It’s a bit digital. But again, I’m gonna replace it, so that’s cool.

Abbey Road does seem to sound quite a bit better. There’s something a little float-y about the way Sgt. Pepper’s sounds right now.

It seems to lack a bit of bass and a little bit of weight behind it. Abbey Road is a much better-functioning Atmos mix because it’s much closer to to the stereo mix, sonically.

The Beatles in Spatial Audio: Producer Giles Martin on How It All Works (msn.com)

Also talks about hoping to do Rubber Soul and Revolver one day

“It’s a bit like someone you love for years having a slightly different haircut,” says Giles Martin. “And you realize you still love them.” The producer is talking about his Beatles remixes, which have been available in their most expansive form on Apple Music since June, when the service launched their Dolby Atmos-driven spatial audio feature. As more listeners than ever before encounter Martin’s Atmos mixes of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road (which happens to be one of the most impressive spatial-audio showcases from any artist), he dug into the technical marvels and challenges of three-dimensional sound, explained why the current version of Sgt. Pepper’s won’t stick around much longer, and much more.

Sgt. Pepper’s was the first Atmos mix you did. What was that process like?

Sgt. Pepper’s, how it’s being presented right now, I’m actually going to change it. It doesn’t sound quite right to me. It’s out in Apple Music right now. But I’m gonna replace it. It’s good. But it’s not right. Sgt. Pepper’s was, I think, the first album ever mixed in Dolby Atmos. And we did that as a theatrical presentation. I liked the idea of the Beatles being the first to do something. It’s cool that they can still be the first to do something. So Sgt. Pepper’s is a theatrical mix that’s then being converted into a smaller medium. Therefore, it’s not quite right. I’m gonna go back to the theatrical mix and and make it into what’s called near-field Dolby Atmos, as opposed to the cinema Dolby Atmos. It’s a bit bright. It’s a bit digital. But again, I’m gonna replace it, so that’s cool.

Abbey Road does seem to sound quite a bit better. There’s something a little float-y about the way Sgt. Pepper’s sounds right now.

It seems to lack a bit of bass and a little bit of weight behind it. Abbey Road is a much better-functioning Atmos mix because it’s much closer to to the stereo mix, sonically.

The Beatles in Spatial Audio: Producer Giles Martin on How It All Works (msn.com)
Interesting that these mix engineers are revisiting their works and updating the Atmos mixes, something harder to do when it would only be a "physical disc" situation. Thom C. recently said here that he planned on going back in to improve (tweak) the new John Mayer's album Sob Rock, that was just pulled off Apple, and hasn't even been out that long. Could we see more of this?

I hope that Giles's concern is with adapting what was originally a mix meant to be demo'd in a theatrical space for home listening. (Rather than, say, making it sonically "closer to the stereo mix." Although from other things he says in that interview, I don't think he's ever going to please those who criticize his surround mixing philosophy as "tame.")

As for "near-field" Atmos vs cinema Atmos, here are a couple of paragraphs from a High-Def Digest piece on Tim Hoogenakker:

Tim's job, as the near-field re-recording mixer, is to preserve the integrity of filmmaker intent; he wants to make sure the theatrical experience and the home entertainment experience match. The challenges comes from the fact that most professional cinema auditoriums are (obviously) much larger than our living rooms, media rooms, and dedicated home theatres. Basically, theatrical surround mixes need to "move a lot of air."​
A near-field mix is essentially 95% theatrical mix. Yet, if you don't adjust for the home, your Blu-ray might be too loud, all of these moving objects may drown out the dialog, muffled sound or overly bright sounds can be exaggerated, and lastly LFE can overload and become a mess of booming noise. Tim's tweaking generally includes bass management, ensuring dialog clarity, balancing volume levels, and, overall, just making sure you can hear everything the filmmakers intended you to hear.​

Last edited:
Remixed to actually approach the fidelity of the original mix this time or squashed and hyped more to be more shrill and less farty in a soundbar?
I like that... but you didn't call it a "shitbar" this time. You're getting soft.

But Salty jimfisheye alluding to Pepper's newest remix as perhaps sounding 'less farty in a soundbar' is pretty CLOSE!

I think that's what's going on with the mastering on some of these surround titles. Volume war and shrill with the front channels so they come across on anything. Turn down the rear channels until the little 2" side speakers stop making farting sounds. This is extending to the Atmos mixes with the height channels. Because those are also ricocheted off the ceiling from little top firing 2" speakers. Don't want to bounce fart sounds off the ceiling either.

A new haircut? He’s always come up with new nonsense rationalizations to re-do Beatles music.

The current mix lack bass and weight? Yikes. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s the kind of language which more often than not ends up in the improved version being worse.

Interesting that these mix engineers are revisiting their works and updating the Atmos mixes, something harder to do when it would only be a "physical disc" situation. Thom C. recently said here that he planned on going back in to improve (tweak) the new John Mayer's album Sob Rock, that was just pulled off Apple, and hasn't even been out that long. Could we see more of this?

Yes that could be a major blow to physical media.
If a mix is going to be constantly tweaked to (theoretical) perfection, then wouldn't it be hard to pull the trigger and buy it on disc knowing the mix might be even better in 6 months.

The next question is, will the Atmos version of SPLHCB ever get a disc release and, if so, in what kind of package will that be $old?

Interesting to note, that I've seen LOVE in 'Vegas, 2 or 3 times; LOVE IT!
The surround was awesome; including chair speakers, besides the overhead
I have the Atmos version on my USB, for my Acura TLX/2021/ASPEC/17 speaker/720 watts of bliss
I always felt it was lacking something; now I know
I also have the White Album, Abbey Road, and LOVE, which are superior sonically; especially dynamic range
Anyway, kudo's to Giles, for recognizing the small glitch

Interesting to note, that I've seen LOVE in 'Vegas, 2 or 3 times; LOVE IT!
The surround was awesome; including chair speakers, besides the overhead
I have the Atmos version on my USB, for my Acura TLX/2021/ASPEC/17 speaker/720 watts of bliss
I always felt it was lacking something; now I know
I also have the White Album, Abbey Road, and LOVE, which are superior sonically; especially dynamic range
Anyway, kudo's to Giles, for recognizing the small glitch
You have the Atmos version of what? Only Abbey Road was released in Atmos.

Back