Giles Martin to re-mix Sgt Pepper's Atmos Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the US, Tidal still doesn't have Peppers (or Abbey Road) atmos. Maybe that'll change soon? Must be worldwide except US currently.
@HomerJAU Sorry I doubted you! Your wisdom and intelligence remains unmatched!

Excuse me if I'm being dense here, but would I need to buy an Apple TV box to make the best use of an Apple TV subscription? Can I get Apple TV on an Amazon Firestick? Thanks!

Excuse me if I'm being dense here, but would I need to buy an Apple TV box to make the best use of an Apple TV subscription? Can I get Apple TV on an Amazon Firestick? Thanks!
You can watch Apple TV (the app) on a Firestick or Roku, I was doing this prior to getting the Apple TV 4K box. I don't recall the experience itself being any better or worse on those platforms.

Since you’re posting this thread, I’ll assume you’re actually talking about Apple Music, not Apple TV. They are two different Apple subscription services.

With regard to Apple Music, you must have an Apple TV 4K to get real Dolby Atmos (or 5.1/quad Dolby Audio) which you feed via HDMI to a receiver/pre-pro. The atmos signal is sent as 7.1 24/48 PCM (with the atmos tags embedded in the height channels). 5.1/quad Dolby Audio is sent as 5.1 24/48 PCM.

If the receiver isn’t atmos capable, most will still be able accept the 7.1 stream and downconvert it to 5.1.

As far as Apple TV goes, most smart TV’s these days have the Apple TV built into the TV which you then use to watch Apple TV programming (with a subscription) without an Apple TV unit. It’s been awhile since I used an amazon firestick, so I’m not sure if it is capable of accessing an Apple TV app. Or you can use an Apple TV unit.

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to listen to the new Atmos mix of Pepper and to my ears it sounded a bit better than the previous Atmos mix. I didn't do any sort of direct A/B comparison, but it sounded a little less harsh and a little more... direct?

Back