HiRez Poll Gilmour, David - RATTLE THAT LOCK [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of David Gilmour - RATTLE THAT LOCK

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Recent activity on this poll made me aware that I never voted on this title.

I already posted my opinion on the content earlier in the thread, and for the most part I stand by what I said then. There are a few tracks that a do like a bit more now, but my general take on the content is the still the same.

The mix and sonics are demo worthy. Andy Jackson hit this one out of the park. I wish he could get a crack at remixing some pre Final Cut Floyd material.

It gets an 8 from me. It would be a 10 if the content were better.

A final comment. I also caught Gilmour's RTL tour a couple years back. The man puts on a damn fine show, and a good part of it is because of the quality of his individual performance. That's not something that can be said about Roger Waters recent stage show (which I also attended... twice!), which is more concerned with the overall production of the "spectacle".

Like you, I saw Dave Gilmour a couple of years ago and Roger Waters last night and completely agree with your assessment of the two different approaches to presenting the brilliant PF songs. I was thinking during the concert last night that RW provides a stunning visual and musical show whereas DG also manages to conjure up the 'tingle factor' at key moments in the concert, for example those haunting notes from Shine On You Crazy Diamond. It's amazing how the same song can be played by two great artists and one just emotionally connects....

BTW, I really like Rattle That Lock as an album. I find it rare for a new album from a well established singer/band to work so well as a whole. (RPWL - Beyond Man and Time is another great album as a whole). I was driven nearly quietly insane last year at Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris every time there was an announcement. The opening four notes of the song Rattle That Lock are the alert to an announcement there from which DG got the inspiration! There must be a limit to how many times your mind can continue the song after these four notes - eek!

I’ll give this one a “9”. I picked up the deluxe set for like 12 bucks online awhile back but never got around to playing it until a bit ago.

The surround mix is great. As is the fidelity. Andy Jackson knocked it out of the park again. But the songs are “meh”. If I didn’t love Gilmour’s guitar playing so much, I’d knock it down another point.

And the box set is really nice. Especially for the price I paid! I guess it didn’t sell so well initially?

But mixes like this are why I love surround so much.

Was not sure about this one but the price on Amazon was to good to refuse and the reviews on here helped.
Thought going through the box was a good set up for me on what I was about to hear and it did that and more. The sound was lush and it surrounded me. It one of those that you close your eyes and let the music take you. It was a 10 for me and thanks to QQ I probably would not of purchased this if not for the reviews I read on here

I can't help myself.....I notice a trend (mostly).....when there are really low votes (not always mind you).....they are from members I've never heard from. :unsure: Not that 6 or 7 is low, that's average I guess....but it sure makes me scratch my head.

Just an observation. Likely means very little. :)

I give it a nine in terms of the sound. Don't know what complaints would be truthful - it sounds as good as you'd want. The album is what it is, which is to say it'll please long time Gilmour fans but won't convert newbies. He still plays in the manner in which we associate, and his voice remains the same. About half of the songs are entertaining enough and had "The Girl in the Yellow Dress" came out thirty years ago it might have received some airplay. The title track isn't bad either and I like the video. Great to see Rick in the Barn Jams vids too! I'm pleased.

First long form review I have done in some time.
The album starts out with a beautiful orchestral instrumental called "Five A.M." Besides the strings decorating the surrounds, once the acoustic guitar comes in from rear right, you know you're in for an immersive experience that only a fantastic mixing engineer like Andy Jackson can provide! Gilmour's guitar is perfectly placed in the front with its exquisite tone that we have all come to know and love.
Then instead of continuing on in a mellow manner like "On An Island" did, we jump into the jaunty title track. Andy's surround mix of this track reminds me of some of Elliot Scheiner's surround mixes with clear, defined, and discrete positioning for all the instruments in the arrangement.
After that song though, the album returns to a mellower vibe with the song "Faces of Stone". This song reminds me of music out of "The Godfather", and once I figure out why that is, I'll let you all know! This is also one of two songs on the album that David wrote the lyrics for himself, and it's a touching tribute to the decline of his mother in the latter years of her life.
Next up is another poignant song, this time about his deceased Pink Floyd bandmate Richard Wright. "A Boat Lies Waiting" features a piece of piano music originally recorded as a demo by Gilmour almost 20 years ago, and it's this exact recording that is used as the bed for this song, which features fantastic vocal harmonies by David Crosby and Graham Nash. This is another great surround mix with the harmonies placed all around the listener. It's quite a treat!
Then we get to my favorite songs on the album "Dancing Right in Front of Me" and "In Any Tongue". The former has a great musical motif that complements Gilmour's wistful melody and lyrics. The latter is probably the darkest song on the album and features Gilmour's most impassioned singing and guitar playing that will just send chills down your spine. This song also features Gilmour's son on piano, which further adds to the poignancy of this song.
Following those two is another great instrumental entitled "Beauty". This one features more discrete surround placements to start with piano on one side and guitar on the other. It's probably my favorite of the three instrumentals on the album.
Next we are onto what is probably the most eclectic song on the album "The Girl in the Yellow Dress". This song probably belongs more on a Diana Krall album with its slow and sultry jazz club feel to it, but Gilmour delivers it in a wonderful style, and the song features great piano playing from Jools Holland. Many will also love the saxophone emanating from rear right.
The last song with vocals and lyrics on the album is "Today". It starts off somewhat mellow, but it's not long before it kicks into full force with another fun and discrete surround mix that suits the action of the song. This song not only features more great guitar playing from Gilmour, but the orchestral and backing vocal arrangements on this song really help to even further lift the music along.
The album then finishes off with the final instrumental "And Then…" which takes musical themes from the opening track "Five A.M." and expands on them with drums and more. It's a great way to close off a very satisfying album.

This entire experience for me (music and surround mix) is more in line with the same satisfactory feeling I got listening to something like "The Division Bell", which also had very strong music complemented by a strong mix. If you were disappointed with albums in surround like "The Endless River" (with most of it lacking vocal melodies and lyrics) or "Amused to Death" (with its timid surround presentation at times) jump on this one and enjoy it for what it is, for thanks to Andy Jackson and David Gilmour, we have another fantastic album with a lovely & discrete surround mix to boot!
I would further say this is the best surround mix of a 2015 album behind Steven Wilson's "Hand Cannot Erase" so it gets a full '10' and a very high recommendation from me! :)
reading this has reminded me that I have this disc and time to listen to it again.

Any time David picks up a guitar, I'm in. Personally I gave it a 9, if I gave it a 10 it would be a fan emotion.
I very much enjoy the album and listen to it quite often.
Keep going for as long as you can David, we're near the same age and I'll buy whatever you do before one of us leaves this earth.
Thanks for the many years of musical pleasure you've provided, both solo and with PF and a few other bands..
God Bless brother.

The Extras include a few stereo audio-only tracks. There is an Extended Mix of Rattle That Lock. I assumed it would be an actual remix, like an 80s 12" (which I would have loved!), because there is also a 12" Dub Mix (aka Youth Mix). However, it is in fact simply an unedited version of the LP track. So if you are like me and want the best of both worlds it is relatively easy to align the tracks in an audio editor (I use Audacity) and cross fade them. So as the 5.1 gets slowly sucked into the front speakers, you get an extra 90 seconds of Gilmour soloing. Which can never be a bad thing.

Can't give it over a 7, sorry
Production, sound quality and surround mix are excellent - 10
Songs are hit and miss (mainly miss)
Wearing a yellow dress and impersonating Diana Krall surpisingly worked, and some instrumentals are less forgettable than others.

shame the three left can't get over their egos and work together. Surely they'd do better than this slick nothingness

Nothing easier than mocking rock lyrics. Most of them are laughable when interpreted by adults, while they can seem 'deep' if you're an impressionable teenager.

Surely they'd do better though when working together. On their own, each one is mediocre. Floyd were one of these groups where the whole was a lot more than the sum of its parts.

C'mon guys, I too was raised on Pink Floyd, so it pains me to see half-@rsed albums from the members. This one is not as bad as others though, hence the 7

I waited almost a year of owning it before casting my vote.
I gave it a 9 in the end.
I am not a super fan of the album, but the mix and recording quality are superb. I also think that this is a reference for a super deluxe edition, or at least a reference of what I expect.
I was going to give it an 8 but I found myself coming back again and again to this as a "background music for focus" and I enjoy it a lot that way.

Back