• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Godsmack - THE OTHER SIDE [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Godsmack - THE OTHER SIDE

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I didn't know too much about Godsmack before this album. I guess I still don't because I am told that this is very different from their other stuff. I like it very much though. I gave it an 8

MC Maniac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
very good sound quality - decent surround mix but only gets a 7 because it is TOO SHORT!

Only 29:55..

YmSeb

It took me a while to finally get this one (first time I received the regular CD that I already had, I'm still amazed by the fact that people are unable to distinguish both formats...), but I've been playing the SACD version for some days and I gave it a 8.

At first I was afraid that the rear speakers were only receiving a duplicate from the front speakers, but in fact not. The way the percussive elements are spread around is very subtle and it gives you the impression that you're with the band around a camp fire. Very cool.

The acoustic guitars are quite lound in the rears and it envelops you totally. The choirs are powerful too.

I looked closely at the booklet which is strictly no different than the CD's one, so I'm still wondering who did the 5.1 mix ? Is it Bottrill, like the stereo mix ?

I'm a big, big fan of Bottrill and if I'm not mistaken, this would look like his first 5.1 mix...

Kazaam

701 Club - QQ All-Star
It's a nice disc, to be sure; and a worthy addition to one's collection. However, I went with a rating of six. Overall, the surround mix is a little bit too subtle for my tastes. The last couple of tracks have a little more surround action, which is more to my liking. The recording itself seems a little on the cold side. It doesn't give me that warm, fuzzy feeling.

filper

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
My bestest trading buddy offered me a copy a while back, but I was unsure of the content, so I declined... I should know your judgement better by now Andy. :)

'The Other Side' is beautifully recorded and well mixed for surround.

I found it still on the shelf at one of the last Best Buys that carry HiRes stock... my luck !

It is kind of unique being a short playing time... just like spinning an LP.

haikubass

I'm still wondering who did the 5.1 mix ? Is it Bottrill, like the stereo mix ?
Yep, 5.1 mix by David Bottrill. AFAIK, he only did mix Mudvayne's The End of All Things to Come (DD 5.1 only, 2005 DualDisc).

I wish this is how Alice In Chains' acoustic stuff would translate into surround... but that obviously didn't happen. Overall, a little bright and shiny sounding (ok, still punchy too!) for my taste, but that's about the only complaint I have. Good use of the rears, although you can't do much with this kind of acoustic stuff, so it's mainly percussion, vocals and ocassional guitars in the back complete with really wide soundstage. And some big sound envelope as well.

Godsmack is really not my thing musically, but if it works for you, you can't go wrong with this release. Solid 7 from me.

salsdali

great songs, great fidelity and the surround is good but gets taken off a point and a half because it's a little front heavy and not too aggressive

but I do return to this disc a fair amount so it must be good

weekendtoy

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I think the album is very well done. The new tracks and familiar standards are presented nicely in their acoustic format.

Fifteen years ago I thought the surround mix was top notch. That has been somewhat diminished with all the great surround albums that have since been released. Still, as a whole, a solid 9 from me.