Going digital discretely

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, everyone! I have a traditional quad setup, an old Marantz receiver with varimatrix and four speakers (soon also a Surround Master 3). Now I’m thinking about getting the real discrete experience, not with tape, but with CD. I’d like your advice: what kind of (secondhand) CD-player should I buy? I’ve seen Oppo is the brand most people are writing about, but more than that, I know next to nothing. Any advice?

Do I need a capacity for all of these formats?
Something new that will play DVD-A is difficult to find. The rest of the formats are relatively easy to come by.

The latest Sony UHD Blu-Ray unit still supports DVD-A (it used to be called the X800, but I think the model number has since changed?). The only catch is HDMI only, which obviously won't work with the OP's vintage Marantz receiver.

I'd recommend looking at the Denon DBP-2012 - it supports all three disc formats and has a 7.1 analog output. They're plentiful on eBay for around $200 USD.

One other consideration for the OP. If you do not already have any DVD-A disks, keep in mind you will probably have to obtain them on the used market. They are all out of print and they can get expensive. I'd hate to see you chasing around for a player that has DVD-A capability only to accommodate a handful of disks. Some of the best ones are also available in the other formats now as well.

Thanks a lot for your help! The Surround Master v.3 has an optical input, so I’m not condemned to analog inputs only. To sum up: I’ll check out the Denon, and others that have as many as these formats as possible?

Yyyeeeeeaaaauuuugggghhhh! Multiple formats! That is one of the factors that killed quadraphonics.

They sell a HDMI to 5.1 analog adaptor.

But it is just more of the discrete "puddles of sound at the speakers" effecf.

I believe OP means "discrete components" by "discrete", right?

What is your goal with this @Quad grant me serenity?
Have you decided you specifically want the old school stand alone component style hi-fi setup?
Or are you more interested in being able to hear the surround sound mixes in their fullest quality and have the most access to being able to play the various digital formats?

If it's the later (listening and format access), using a computer and software media players is magnitudes more bang for the buck. The con might be a little learning curve if you aren't computer comfortable. (Don't need to be "savvy", just "comfortable".)

The stand alone components lead to fussing over formats and connections and maybe even ending up duplicating a few things. HDMI connections are prone to 'copyright gone wild' style silencing of audio even when things are technically connected correctly.

Choose your adventure!

An average computer, a USB connecting audio interface, a small collection of software, and then amps and speakers of your choice goes a long way. :)

What does confuse me though, as I know see that some of the records I want to play are DVD A - do I need a player that is explicitly DVD A, or does other types like DVD V cover it?
"Hi-Res" lossless surround content on a DVD-Audio disc requires a DVD-Audio player to play it, but officially released discs usually have corresponding lossy surround version(s) that can be played by any DVD player.

Thanks a lot for your help! The Surround Master v.3 has an optical input, so I’m not condemned to analog inputs only. To sum up: I’ll check out the Denon, and others that have as many as these formats as possible?
A Surround Master owner needs to confirm this, but I believe the best Multi Channel resolution you can pass on an optical input (or a coax input for that matter) is Dolby digital (AC-3). It wont pass a DVD-A signal, but it will may well pass the DVD-V signal that is on most commercial DVD-A releases. It also wont pass an SACD Hi Res signal, nor any of the Hi Res Blueray formats. It wont even pass something like 24/96 LPCM. I would not rely on an optical input to be your answer here.

Whats the hookup going to look like? Player > optical out > Surround Master > Vintage AVR. ??
What does the D-A conversion? The Surround Master?

Also, isn't there a block on multi-channel SACD via digital (optical or coaxial) outputs to prevent digital copying? (HDMI is not digital so it can pass SACD multi out.) Or has that changed?

You are correct that SACD cannot pass over Optical or Coax. It can over HDMI, but not all Pre/Pros/AVR will accept it.

How is HDMI not digital? They are all digital connections. Again, what will the OP be using for the Digital to Analog conversion?

I believe OP means "discrete components" by "discrete", right?

What is your goal with this @Quad grant me serenity?
Have you decided you specifically want the old school stand alone component style hi-fi setup?
Or are you more interested in being able to hear the surround sound mixes in their fullest quality and have the most access to being able to play the various digital formats?

If it's the later (listening and format access), using a computer and software media players is magnitudes more bang for the buck. The con might be a little learning curve if you aren't computer comfortable. (Don't need to be "savvy", just "comfortable".)

The stand alone components lead to fussing over formats and connections and maybe even ending up duplicating a few things. HDMI connections are prone to 'copyright gone wild' style silencing of audio even when things are technically connected correctly.

Choose your adventure!

An average computer, a USB connecting audio interface, a small collection of software, and then amps and speakers of your choice goes a long way. :)

Thanks you for your reply! I’d like the old school quad solution. Love the sound and the esthetics from my Marantz. And it does not seem that complicated now that I get how DVD A/V/whatever works. I don’t think I need lossless sound, really. I just need a player that can handle multichannel. So a DVD/Bluray/SACDplayer will be fine it seems.

A Surround Master owner needs to confirm this, but I believe the best Multi Channel resolution you can pass on an optical input (or a coax input for that matter) is Dolby digital (AC-3). It wont pass a DVD-A signal, but it will may well pass the DVD-V signal that is on most commercial DVD-A releases. It also wont pass an SACD Hi Res signal, nor any of the Hi Res Blueray formats. It wont even pass something like 24/96 LPCM. I would not rely on an optical input to be your answer here.

Whats the hookup going to look like? Player > optical out > Surround Master > Vintage AVR. ??
What does the D-A conversion? The Surround Master?

Yep, that’s what I thought, at least…

Back