Music DVD Poll Goldfrapp - Supernature CD/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD portion of "Goldfrapp - Supernature"

• Total voters
4 & 5 are much more discrete, track 5 especially so, with Alisons' vocals up front and that "meep meep meep meep meep meep meep" sound isolated in the rear.

it is growing on me. I knew all you QQ-ers couldn't be wrong, it must be me with cloth ears! :phones

See! Track 4 was my demo track...

I'm ashamed to admit that it was actually the 5.1 mix of DSOTM I used, this was before I joined this forum and learned the error of my ways...

See! Track 4 was my demo track...

I'm ashamed to admit that it was actually the 5.1 mix of DSOTM I used, this was before I joined this forum and learned the error of my ways...

Ah! Then I can see why you used this disc to demo! The mixes definitely improve as the album moves along.

No shame in the surround game!

I'm sure even the most knowledgable of quad veterans on here still have little things that pop up every now and again to surprise them!

I'm thinking of things like the previously unreleased Quad mixes of the two Gentle Giant albums that came out on DVD recently. Did any QQ-ers know they existed? Maybe the guys involved with the Brad Miller HDS DTS CDs knew of them but still it's a long shot..

Gave this another spin....

Track 4 is great!!!!

See?!

And everyone thought I was crazy. Ok, there's a lot of what is basically the same thing coming out of all 5 speakers, but sometimes that can be fun.

And then there's the odd moment on the mix where they actually show you what they can do. Really wish there was more electronica in 5.1.

See?!

And everyone thought I was crazy. Ok, there's a lot of what is basically the same thing coming out of all 5 speakers, but sometimes that can be fun.

And then there's the odd moment on the mix where they actually show you what they can do. Really wish there was more electronica in 5.1.

haha! I didn't think you were crazy! :D

Just that off the top of my head I could name any one of 10, maybe even 20, SACDs/DVDAs I'd use to demo/audition a multi-channel system before turning to the Goldfrapp 5.1, which never stood out as being that amazing, for me, or the James Guthrie DSOTM, which to be honest is better than average but far from excellent, imo.

Ah but resources were limited at the time, you see.

Now it'd be a different story. I have nearly 100+ albums in surround now, most of which I've bought since that day in November... *help!*

Great disc. Got this used on Discogs for pennies. The mix is delicious and fills your room with amazing low end. I'm a big fan of electro/techno/industrial music if it's done well (there are mountains of crap in those genres - especially after the digital age hit and every schmuck with a computer thinks he's a producer). Goldfrapp doesn't disappoint. Intuitive writing and fine production make for some great listening. I wish they'd do this for Black Cherry as well.

I voted a 9 on it because they left out some great remixes - like the Ride A White Horse (Serge Santiágo Re-Edit), which is one of the greatest dance tracks ever recorded. When I'm king of America it will be mandatory to include 12" mixes on all surround releases. Until then, it gets a 9.

Great disc. Got this used on Discogs for pennies. The mix is delicious and fills your room with amazing low end. I'm a big fan of electro/techno/industrial music if it's done well (there are mountains of crap in those genres - especially after the digital age hit and every schmuck with a computer thinks he's a producer). Goldfrapp doesn't disappoint. Intuitive writing and fine production make for some great listening. I wish they'd do this for Black Cherry as well.

I voted a 9 on it because they left out some great remixes - like the Ride A White Horse (Serge Santiágo Re-Edit), which is one of the greatest dance tracks ever recorded. When I'm king of America it will be mandatory to include 12" mixes on all surround releases. Until then, it gets a 9.

afaik there's a 5.1 mix of "Black Cherry", prepared for MultiCh SACD, unreleased to this day.

Weird coincidence, I just played this yesterday, the first time in years. Then today I see this thread pop up and I realize that disc 1 is SACD. I never even looked at that first disc all these years because I thought it was a CD.

Make NO mistake....the SACD sounds better but I was only able to procure it after two attempts: the first copy was advertised as an SACD but I received the DVD/CD instead and kept it because I would've had to return it to the UK [wasn't worth it] and by the second attempt, I was fortunate to score the SACD.

The SACD has a fuller, richer sound. Now bring on Goldfrapp's BLACK CHERRY in 5.1 on BD~A!

Last edited:
Make NO mistake....the SACD sounds better but I was only able to procure it after two attempts: the first copy was advertised as an SACD but I received the DVD/CD instead and kept it because I would've had to return it to the UK [wasn't worth it] and by the second attempt, I was fortunate to score the SACD.

The SACD has a fuller, richer sound. Now bring on Goldfrapp's BLACK CHERRY in 5.1 on BD~A!

Trust me . I've tried to no avail..they won't even listen to the great guru Neil Wilkes, who is the closest one to the Zen of it!!!

Such a geat sonic adventure!

I’m voting 9. Beautiful music, great atmosphere and very powerful (synth) sounds. For me, the surround mix works really well. Many surround elements to enjoy. I have the release with the SACD.

Greetings, Janco

Bought this on release, like it a lot but don't play it that often. I have the SACD/DVD version and prefer the thump of the DTS for this music. Gave it an '8'.

Back