Gong - "Love from Planet Gong" box set with unreleased "You" Quad mix.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"quad Pye and Westlake Studio" could mean some tracks from each but not all quad ?.... geeez, it could even mean a studio called Quad Pye. Maybe Westlake was quad also. I pre-ordered it. If it is called The Quad Mixes then "You" is likely to be all multichannel (they did say mixed to 5.1). Right?

Last edited:
This tracklisting from BS sheds more light on what multichannel mixes are there on the DVD:

DVD / You Quad Surround Sound
1. Thoughts For Naught
2. A P.H.P.'s Advice
3. Magick Mother Invocation
4. Master Builder
5. A Sprinkling Of Clouds
6. Thoughts For Naught
7. A P.H.P.'s Advice
8. Magick Mother Invocation
9. Master Builder
10. A Sprinkling Of Clouds
11. Perfect Mystery
12. The Isle Of Everywhere
13. You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever

This is the tracklisting of You from the same source:

CD 3 / You
1. Thoughts For Naught
2. A P.H.P.'s Advice
4. Master Builder
6. Perfect Mystery
7. The Isle Of Everywhere
8. You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever
9. A P.H.P.'s Advice
10. Where Have All The Flowers Gone

This tracklisting from BS sheds more light on what multichannel mixes are there on the DVD:

1. Thoughts For Naught
2. A P.H.P.'s Advice
4. Master Builder
6. Thoughts For Naught
7. A P.H.P.'s Advice
9. Master Builder
11. Perfect Mystery

This is the tracklisting of You from the same source:

CD 3 / You
1. Thoughts For Naught
2. A P.H.P.'s Advice
4. Master Builder
6. Perfect Mystery
7. The Isle Of Everywhere
8. You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever
9. A P.H.P.'s Advice
10. Where Have All The Flowers Gone

it looks like maybe two unreleased Quad mixes?!?
one Pye, one Westlake..
one Quad incomplete (Side 1 only),
the other all 8 tracks..?

it looks like maybe two unreleased Quad mixes?!?
one Pye, one Westlake..
one Quad incomplete (Side 1 only),
the other all 8 tracks..?

(just a little thing to some maybe but it matters to me) if any of it is a Pye Quad from discrete tapes that would be very cool for two reasons;
a.) it'd be a rare occurence of a Universal label Quad master escaping the vaults,
b.) anecdotally many of the Pye Quad masters are not held in the vault at this time (missing presumed trashed/nicked/burned/whatever'd!)

trying not to get over excited (it could be crap.. but) it could be a real gem! 🤩

The album was released on Virgin, apparently the album was recorded at Virgin's Manor studio (produced in 1974 by Simon Heyworth - of Super Audio Mastering {and 5.1 mixing fame} & Gong), stereo Side 1 mixed at Pye's studios in London, and side 2 at the Manor. So it seems that Side 1 was also mixed into Quad at Pye, and both sides mixed into quad at Westlake! I wonder who by?

(just a little thing to some maybe but it matters to me) if any of it is a Pye Quad from discrete tapes that would be very cool for two reasons;
a.) it'd be a rare occurence of a Universal label Quad master escaping the vaults,
b.) anecdotally many of the Pye Quad masters are not held in the vault at this time (missing presumed trashed/nicked/burned/whatever'd!)

trying not to get over excited (it could be crap.. but) it could be a real gem! 🤩
The purchase of EMI/Capitol/Virgin by UMG was after the brutally painful fire thankfully.

And after all my high hopes, I'm a little disappointed. Grateful as I am for the live shows, and the smattering of studio rarities, I can't help wishing it could have wrapped up the pre-Virgin years as well... Universal put together that fantastic Alex Harvey box a few years ago, and label-hopping was no obstacle there. It would have been good to see a collector-friendly sorting-out of all the odds and ends that have been released on various compilations, too.

A lot like the Abbey Road box, this feels like a missed opportunity, with just a hint of laziness as well. And, sadly, I can't see anyone else investing the time and money required into a more thorough Gong box. At least with Abbey Road, we just need to hang on until the 60th anniversary...

FWIW , Westlake Audio Studio was one of the bigger " go to for quad " outfitted with the latest and best equipped in L.A.
So much so they ended up equipping other studios in the U.S and 1 or 2 in Britain for Quad recording .
They receive numerous mentions in the "Studio Tracks" section of Billboard Mag throughout 74,75 and 76.

Wish I knew more about the Pye studios though.

I received this email from Amazom.ca today, implying the Gong box will not be released.
Did anyone else get this information? Could it be true?

"Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report the release of the following item has been cancelled:

Gong "Love From Planet Gong: The Virgin Years 1973-1975 (13 CD Boxed Set)"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We've cancelled this item from your order."

I received this email from Amazom.ca today, implying the Gong box will not be released.

"Hello from Amazon.ca.

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it won't be released after all. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we've caused you.

NOOOOOO! I'm going to avoid my inbox all day and pretend I never read this. I am DEEPLY disappointed :cry::mad:😫

"Hello from Amazon.ca.

Maybe it just means that Amazon-CA isn't getting it. I dunno. The Shed still has it listed...

The people from Gong have their advance copy so it does exist!

https://www.planetgong.co.uk/news/current.shtml
1566065221288.png

Maybe it just means that Amazon-CA isn't getting it. I dunno. The Shed still has it listed...

That's good to hear. I also ordered it through Amazon.uk in case the pound plummets preBrexit, and have not received a cancellation notice from them. My fingers are crossed that the Amazon.ca notification is just some kind of boilerplate language but I'm so tense now after having You in quad dangled in front of my face!

! Thought I ordered it from Burning Shed, but it was actually Amazon UK.

Pound dropping, indeed . . . too many friends there to be happy about that! Guess I'm going Gos and forgetting about which pre-order is where (and how many? try to keep that to a minimum of one!).

1. Thoughts For Naught
2. A P.H.P.'s Advice
4. Master Builder
6. Thoughts For Naught
7. A P.H.P.'s Advice
9. Master Builder
11. Perfect Mystery

Here's the breakdown:

Tracks 1-5 are the Westlake Quad Mixes
Tracks 6-10 are the Pye Quad Mixes
Tracks 11-13 are actually upmixed to Quad from the stereo master.

So to recap, only Side 1 of "You" is in 'discrete' Quad, but we get two different discrete Quad mixes of those tracks.

:)

The information on the DVD comes from a higher-res version of the pack shot.

Here's the information so you all do not have to squint to read the fine print:

DVD - You Quad Mixes - 1974

Westlake Quad Mix
1 Thoughts For Naught
2 A PHP's Advice
3 Magick Mother Invocation
4 Master Builder
5 A Sprinkling of Clouds

Quad remixes of Side 1 of You made by Simon Heyworth in September 1974
Mixed at Westlake Audio, Los Angeles, California
Quad mastering in 2018 from the original Virgin analogue Quad masters by Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering

Pye Quad Mix
6 Thoughts For Naught
7 A PHP's Advice
8 Magick Mother Invocation
9 Master Builder
10 A Sprinkling of Clouds

Quad remixes of Side 1 of You made by Simon Heyworth with Alan Parkins in July 1974 (with the participation of Tim Blake and Steve Hillage) at Pye Studios, London
Quad mastering in 2018 from the original Virgin analogue Quad masters by Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering

Quad Upmix from Stereo 2018 Remaster
11 Perfect Mystery
12 The Isle of Everywhere
13 You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever

Upmixes to Quad of Side 2 of You, made by Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering 2018

We were unable to source final Quad mixes for Side 2, and rather than using incomplete and unsatisfactory rough mixes, Simon Heyworth employed a special technique for Upmixing the 2018 remastered stereo mixes into Quad/surround

Gong Virgin Years Exploding 3D pack 3000px.jpg

Back