Gong - "Love from Planet Gong" box set with unreleased "You" Quad mix.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colsky

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
As part of a forthcoming Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy multiformatted reissue, this will supposedly include 1 of the 3 albums in surround. I think it's You, from this comment from someone involved :

'and as for 5.1 - well not the complete trilogy in that format, but back in the day one of the three was mixed for those with 4 ears, so it was thought why not give it a buff and polish and include it...'

The source is here;

https://www.planetgong.co.uk/outlan...sid=ace643f09f1835423c118cdb1f9b9952&start=10

Last edited:
Good deal.

I definitely would not consider myself to be a Gong fan (I hardly ever play "Rejoice, I'm Dead" on DVDA-V) but if this set is modestly priced, then I'll consider getting it.
Looking at previous posts, it looks like this will be in a 3CD/DVD set, with all three albums of the Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy on CD.

:)

Wow! Gong with all its variations is a bit hit or miss for me, but the Radio Gnome trilogy is very enjoyable with You being their best effort. I would love this in surround!

At long last, here it is!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V45RHFH/
Curated by Steve Hillage and released with the full involvement of original members, legendary psychedelic surrealists Gong are the subject of a new Box Set with the release of Love From Planet Gong: The Virgin Years 1973-75 on September 27th 2019 (UMC). Released to coincide with Gong’s 50th Anniversary, the Box Set covers the band’s classic years in a stunning package that includes: their seminal first four Virgin studio albums plus bonus tracks; previously unreleased, multi-tracked full gigs, the complete John Peel Sessions from 1973 and 1974; previously unreleased quad Pye and Westlake mixes of ‘You’ re-formatted to 5.1 surround-sound, and artwork including rare and previously unseen work by the late Daevid Allen. Under the visionary guidance of Daevid Allen, Gong raised the bar for psychedelic rock in the 1970s. The first three albums Gong recorded for the Virgin label—Flying Teapot, Angel’s Egg & You—introduced the listener to the invisible mythyological universe of Pot Head Pixies, Zero The Hero, The Octave Doctors and The Good Witch Yoni. Featuring sublime virtuoso guitar from Steve Hillage, Gong’s intoxicating, space-rock inflected compositions such as ‘Radio Gnome Invisible’ ‘The Isle Of Everywhere’, ‘Master Builder’, ‘Inner Temple/Outer Temple’ ‘Shamal’, ‘Flying Teapot’ and ‘Oily Way’ are all an absolute joy to experience, re-mastered by original engineer Simon Heyworth and sounding as crisp and inventive as ever. Love From The Planet Gong: The Virgin Years 1973-75 brings together Gong’s finest years in an exceptionally presented Box Set.

7B082F73-75EE-4C33-981F-E5342BAB2F4B.jpeg

Last edited:
At long last, here it is!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V45RHFH/
Curated by Steve Hillage and released with the full involvement of original members, legendary psychedelic surrealists Gong are the subject of a new Box Set with the release of Love From Planet Gong: The Virgin Years 1973-75 on September 27th 2019 (UMC). Released to coincide with Gong’s 50th Anniversary, the Box Set covers the band’s classic years in a stunning package that includes: their seminal first four Virgin studio albums plus bonus tracks; previously unreleased, multi-tracked full gigs, the complete John Peel Sessions from 1973 and 1974; previously unreleased quad Pye and Westlake mixes of ‘You’ re-formatted to 5.1 surround-sound, and artwork including rare and previously unseen work by the late Daevid Allen. Under the visionary guidance of Daevid Allen, Gong raised the bar for psychedelic rock in the 1970s. The first three albums Gong recorded for the Virgin label—Flying Teapot, Angel’s Egg & You—introduced the listener to the invisible mythyological universe of Pot Head Pixies, Zero The Hero, The Octave Doctors and The Good Witch Yoni. Featuring sublime virtuoso guitar from Steve Hillage, Gong’s intoxicating, space-rock inflected compositions such as ‘Radio Gnome Invisible’ ‘The Isle Of Everywhere’, ‘Master Builder’, ‘Inner Temple/Outer Temple’ ‘Shamal’, ‘Flying Teapot’ and ‘Oily Way’ are all an absolute joy to experience, re-mastered by original engineer Simon Heyworth and sounding as crisp and inventive as ever. Love From The Planet Gong: The Virgin Years 1973-75 brings together Gong’s finest years in an exceptionally presented Box Set.

View attachment 42199

I'm torn on this one; seems like another Mega box set 13 discs with just one album in surround similar to Tangerine Dream (which I sprang for & OK 2-3 there). I'm also more of a Holdsworth fan than a Hillage fan, preferring the later Expresso and Expresso II albums. And was there ever a surround mix for Shamal (maybe not.) Yes one could argue that any release of a surround mix is great; but it just further justifies my Catch-22 we're in for TOMBS (Tired Of Mega Box Sets!)

I'm torn on this one; seems like another Mega box set 13 discs with just one album in surround similar to Tangerine Dream (which I sprang for & OK 2-3 there). I'm also more of a Holdsworth fan than a Hillage fan, preferring the later Expresso and Expresso II albums. And was there ever a surround mix for Shamal (maybe not.) Yes one could argue that any release of a surround mix is great; but it just further justifies my Catch-22 we're in for TOMBS (Tired Of Mega Box Sets!)

true.. i've still pre-ordered it, sounds like two unreleased Quads maybe? a Pye mix and a Westlake mix? wording kinda unclear.

no mention of the Shamal album in Quad, so i guess that SQ labelled LP of it that's popped up for sale a few times over the years is a misprint after all..

Last edited:
The US Amazon lists it at 54 bucks (!) but I'm not sure if that is the physical discs or streaming (no mention of 5.1, at any rate).

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Planet-...+planet+gong&qid=1564594852&s=gateway&sr=8-1#
They charge you upfront for one song, streaming. Hmm. Will be a shame not to snag the physical box (it lists 12 discs) for that price if it IS the physical box.
Odd there's a difference in # of discs; be careful, maybe one without the surround - seems unlikely, but hopefully just a misprint.

Back