Gong - REJOICE! I'M DEAD! [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-Audio disc of Gong - REJOICE! I'M DEAD!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 5.1 surround mix of the album "Rejoice! I'm Dead!" by the band Gong, available as a 2CD/DVDA-V deluxe edition from Madfish.
96-khz/24-bit lossless 5.1 FLAC files can be purchased at Immersive Audio Album.

5.1 Surround mixed by Bruce Soord at Soord Studios
5.1 Surround mastered by Simon Heyworth & Andy Miles at Super Audio Mastering
DVD authored by Neil Wilkes at Opus Productions

91AdwofKKjL._SL1500_.jpg

(n) :) (y)

OK on my first listen, this album has to be one of my surprise hits of this year, only purchased because it came with a surround mix.

So being new to plant Gong I was not sure what to expect, the music is I suppose best described as psych. Rock, there are floydian touches jazzy tints, some nice wigouts and some nice writing. I believe 99% of prog fans will like this album.

Bruce Soord has certainly taken the essence of the album and filled the soundscape completely the lockout ending g to rejoice has instruments and solos coming from all directions, enveloping the listener. I hope you get that I like this mix and the album.

A high 9 or 10 for this and what a shame it's tucked away on a limited edition.

Received my copy today and luckily none of the discs were loose [like some posters experienced]. Was also heartened to see it was a true MLP DVD~A 5.1 unlike the DTS 96/24 5.1 listed on the cover's sticker. Preliminary listen: Great album. Will give it a full audition on my main system tonight.

The packaging, BTW, is excellent.

Received my copy today and luckily none of the discs were loose [like some posters experienced]. Was also heartened to see it was a true MLP DVD~A 5.1 unlike the DTS 96/24 5.1 listed on the cover's sticker. Preliminary listen: Great album. Will give it a full audition on my main system tonight.

The packaging, BTW, is excellent.

Can't wait !! I look forward to my copy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Gong! Didn't know about this surround mix...will be a must purchase.
Gong's entire catalog should be remixed in surround, word is there are some quad mixes in the vaults.
God bless Daevid Allen! Rejoyce!

word is there are some quad mixes in the vaults.

In the liner notes for Mike Oldfield's SACD of Tubular Bells, there is mention that a quad mix of You exists. That would be a fantastic mix to hear, as it's my favorite Gong Album

I'm new onto the Gong scene.
Bruce Soord knows how to get a good mix going on, like SW etc.
As my first Gong purchase, I find its a mixture of many influences. Yes there is some fine prog going on but there are other elements which are from a broader musical base.
Overall, its not going to get into my top10 list of surround releases.
And on that basis it gets a 9.

Thank you QQ surround polls.
I wouldn't have known about Gong at all. I was going through the surround polls. This got a high rating so I tried a little on YouTube.
I heard some nice instrumental spacey sounds. "No brainer got to have this one"
I don't care much for the first song. Kind of a treble heavy big stereo feel to it. Be patient...
Then things kick in on Rejoice. You get a great Steve Hillage lead. Rythym guitars in the back and lead in the front.
The Bruce Soord mix is incredible. Bass & Drums front. The center is active with occasional vocals, guitar, horn or random drum hit. The surrounds are fed spacey guitar, rythym guitar & background vocals. The mix is big and discrete. There is sax, flute, duduk, violin and they are all used tastefully.
My favorite songs: 2,4,7,8 and 9.
I read a review online that preferred the DTS. I disagree but I did increase the bass +3db. The drums come through on this mix but I wish the bass guitar was more prominent.
If you haven't tried this then please check it out. Even if the style isn't your "Cupper" you owe it to yourself to at least check out this Bruce Soord mix.

Back