Good DVD/Blu-ray Player Wanted

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. So we have our point of failure. So you're doing HDMI to the TV and then using optical out from the TV into the AVR? That won't work for SACD, and will give you a severely degraded signal for everything else. I'd suggest either (a) get a new AVR, most in the $500 range will sound similar I suspect, I'm partial to the Sony STR-DN1080 that has SACD/DSD specific features and pairs well with the X800, or (b) get a used Oppo 980 or something else that will play multichannel analog audio for SACDs and DVD-As (while using the Sony X800 for movies). Of course, if you want blu-ray your options are more limited, and if you want 4k you're out of luck. Either way you'll suddenly be able to listen to the surround tracks on movies properly only with a new AVR.

If you're just interested in playing SACDs and you're otherwise happy you can get a used Sony SACD player with multichannel analog for a fraction the price. A used Sony SCD-CE595 is $50 on eBay.

I've got two ubp-x800 players. Got first one over a year ago and have had no problems. The second I've had about four months. A notice inside box said it had latest upgrades and it actually seems to be a better sounding player. No problems with it either. I retired my Oppo 103 because it doesn't play new blurays. Have been very pleased with the Sony players. First one was $329, second $379, now over $400.

Okay. So we have our point of failure. So you're doing HDMI to the TV and then using optical out from the TV into the AVR? That won't work for SACD, and will give you a severely degraded signal for everything else.
I am intrigued by this because I am doing something similar. I have my xbox going to my tv via hdmi and then going from the tv to my oppo 105 via optical. Why does this degrade the signal? If I go directly via optical from my xbox to my 105 the sound seems better. Why is this?

Connect Sony player HDMI 1 to your TV and HDMI 2 to your AVR. with a second cable.
Set TV to the HDMI1 input point and AVR to the HDMI2 input channel.

I am intrigued by this because I am doing something similar. I have my xbox going to my tv via hdmi and then going from the tv to my oppo 105 via optical. Why does this degrade the signal? If I go directly via optical from my xbox to my 105 the sound seems better. Why is this?
Optical from the TV outputs Dolby Digital. Optical from the xbox outputs DTS.

I guess for the XBOX if you're effectively using the Oppo as an Amp its fine. I don't know what bitrate the Xbox peaks at.

Dolby Digital as I understand it peaks at 640 kbps, but is usually much less. DD+ can be up to 1.5 mbps, but is once again usually less. DTS is typically also 1.5 MBPS, while lossless formats are typically 5-6 MBPS. I can't find much in terms of documentation of what bitrate Samsung uses, but 448 kbps is very common for DVDs.

This is a lot of numbers. But what I'm essentially saying is that you're losing most of the data when you pass HDMI into the TV and then use optical out to your AVR, and the quality of the audio signal suffers as a result. You'll get a surround signal, but it's not one suitable for music, and frankly it won't be the best for movies either.

SACDs do not have any REGIONS! The sound on SACD is normaly in DSD or you have to setup your player for this case to "output in PCM", but I´m not shure, wether your player can do that. But it could be the reasonwhy you don´t hear anything if your AVR isn´t able to decode DSD.

So at $500, who the heck needs a $2-4K crazy overpriced used Oppo? Throw them all in a tree chipper. LOL

Fortunately I bought my Oppo before prices went into the stratosphere, but the answer is "someone who needs multi-channel analog outputs".

Now, I really don't NEED them, but in my bedroom a) I only have room for four speakers and b) do have a turntable. What this means is that by using a vintage quad receiver, I can both listen to quad LPs (as well as discrete quad sources ) as well as more modern digital sources. What I'm doing is using the rear HDMI input on the BDP-105 and bringing all my digital sources in through that (via an IR controllable HDMI switch), then the Oppo processes everything (I've just told it that I don't have center, sub, SBL, or SBR speakers in my system) and hands off the audio to my receiver (actually the aux input on my CD-4 decoder box, but same thing) and the video to my TV over its HDMI output. I'm actually currently waiting on a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter so I can hook up my streaming laptop so I can use the Oppo as a multi-channel DAC (the USB connection is 2 channel only)

I'd love a 205 but I couldn't sell the 105 as the latter can be used to rip SACDs whereas my understanding is that the former cannot.

So there you go, there's an application where you need an Oppo :) Now that's a pretty specialized application, and I doubt is relevant to the OP, but there ya go.

Before you throw your Oppo in a wood chipper, I would be happy to find loving homes for those pieces of obsolete technology.

Back