Google working on royalty-free alternative to Dolby Atmos labeled project caviar.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus Rosenthal

Rock Believer
Google. as a member of the Alliance for Open Media (Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Netflix, etc.) is reportedly looking to create an alternative to the Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos standards. They most likely primarily have Youtube in mind with this project, but it could be applied for Youtube music as well. The royalty-free aspect could also be very appealing to musicians looking to do a surround mix without having to pay licenses to Dolby/DTS.

Google wants to take on Dolby with new open media formats

standards.png

(via xkcd)

Google supported alternative to mp3/mp4 for the browser. I think they mainly piggy backed on the Ogg Vorbis work. It was kind of supported by the w3c and ietf to ensure no royalty is needed when someone build a web browser. That being said Google has some work to do to just enable 5.1 on YouTube. They just launched 5.1 for YouTubeTV, I believe.

I feel this is more a reaction to support their phone business. If Spatial Audio gets the kids to want an Apple phone, this would be big.

One would believe that everyone should have jumped on the HDR10+ open royalty-free standard for HDR and forget about Dolby Vision, but it hasn't happened.

I don't know how they do it, but Dolby the company is difficult to beat.

Google supported alternative to mp3/mp4 for the browser. I think they mainly piggy backed on the Ogg Vorbis work. It was kind of supported by the w3c and ietf to ensure no royalty is needed when someone build a web browser. That being said Google has some work to do to just enable 5.1 on YouTube. They just launched 5.1 for YouTubeTV, I believe.

I feel this is more a reaction to support their phone business. If Spatial Audio gets the kids to want an Apple phone, this would be big.
I keep forgetting to post that I tried out your sample 5.1 file on the YouTube app on my Roku and it decoded properly. Thanks for the test file.

Back