Got The Plot, Picking Up Steam

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I want to wish everyone on QQ a Happy and Healthy New Year ahead.

Just wanted to update where I'm at now and where I think I'm headed. The main message is happiness and contentment with an eye towards conquering some 'shoulds' and meeting some goals. When I was in treatment, I fell behind on a lot of things because I was tired and simply lacking the enthusiasm. Happily, the last few months has shown that I can get some things done after all, instead of relegating them to some unknown date in the future.

One example is replacing surrounds on Large Advent woofers; I've knew these were bad (top 1977 pair) for a while but procrastinated fixing them. I'd made the mistake of trying to do the same repair work on the bottom (5002/5012 later cut-corners replica) Large Advents without removing the woofers from cabinets. The results were terrible and I will start all over again on those soon. (none of these spare speakers are in regular service except for FM radio at times) So I instead used the smaller white CSW Outdoor speakers on top simply because they worked without hassle. I took action a couple weeks ago and found that only one of the 1977 woofer surrounds was bad. The invoice said the repair kit had been here since January 2019 so that tells the story! OR this one: to replace the 9 volt battery (active pickups) requires taking all the pickguard screws out to get at battery cavity; didn't have enough desire so the bass went unplayed for a few months!

Advent1.JPG
Advent3.JPG
BassBatt.JPG

Another recent event was my son having a deer run out in front of his Honda CR-V driving home not once but twice! Dad to the rescue; deciding I could help get it back together, we found a CR-V on Craigslist that had most of what we'd need and was even the same color green. One catch was the LR door to replace his had a busted window, requiring a transfer of the window from his original dented door. It took the better part of the afternoon to replace bumper, grille, headlight, hood and door with window swap. But I sure felt good when it was done.

CRV1.JPG
CRV2.JPG

I've also written about a couple DVD-A install/repair jobs I've tackled in the Mobile Audio topic in recent weeks. Today I scanned the 6754th photo because I wanted to collect, sort and share some of them with friends. On New Years Eve 12/31 I found photo albums that had old band and music photos and many other things I'd forgotten about. Yesterday I ran my City Winery iPhone clips through Handbrake to prepare them for some compilations to share in lieu of having any 2020 concerts to comment on. I've put together another PC that is next to the keyboard to act as a recording station to get ideas documented more easily. Huge progress with music software is now possible now. (I'm getting out of my own way)

I mention these things not because I'm trying to pat myself on the back; I'm just happy that I once again (or perhaps more than ever before) have the passion and energy to get after things. I'm more determined now to master something and get it working instead of getting tired and frustrated half-way there. Anyway, I just wanted to share that I am doing so much better now than I was 12-18 months ago. I'm going to contribute to QQ as much as I can and moderate to the best of my ability. Cheers :rocks

PS - There is a fellow on eBay (info if interested) who makes etched glass signs for hi fi gear; we worked out the two I wanted for my systems:

Marantz.JPG
DENON.JPG

Last edited:
Back