Quad LP/Tape Poll Graham Central Station: Graham Central Station [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD4/Q8/QR of Graham Central Station

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Released in early 1974, Graham Central Station was the eponymous debut of ex-Sly and the Family Stone bassman (and inventor of slappin' da bass in general) Larry Graham. The album made it to #20 in the Billboard R&B charts that year, and yielded the top-10 R&B hit Can You Handle It?

gcs-st-lp-1.jpggcs-qr-2.jpg

Warner Bros. BS4 2763 [CD-4 LP] WB L9B 2763 [Q8] WSTQ 2763-QF [QR]
Discogs links: US LP / German LP / Q8 / QR
Wiki page for the album: Graham Central Station

Side 1
  1. We've Been Waiting
  2. It Ain't No Fun to Me
  3. Hair
  4. We Be's Gettin' Down
  5. Tell Me What It Is
Side 2
  1. Can You Handle It?
  2. People
  3. Why?
  4. Ghetto

[Watch this space...original post withdrawn...as fredblue pointed out, I came home tipsy and tried to use my key to get into the wrong apartment!]

Okay: this time for real. I actually listened to Ain't No 'Bout-a-Doubt It first (see below), so now I'm hearing the debut album in that one's head shadow. I think the mix is equally good--maybe a little less dialed-in, a little more workmanlike?--although since the QR conversion I have is heavy on mids and bass (okay, it is Larry Graham, after all), it sounds muddier. (Maybe it's the Dolby, or maybe the EQ could be tweaked.) The material is good, too, though compared to 'Bout, there's more deep-dark-doleful funk, less freaky party-funk. The electro-Afrobeat of "Why?" is different and kinda cool. I'll go with an "8" on this one.

Last edited:
Greasy psychedelic funk makes a mid-70s comeback! (With a mix to match.) This album kicks some serious booty. Larry Graham lets his hair down, but also shows his gospel, doo-wop and R&B roots. Fabulous mix brings clarity and separation to often busy arrangements. (I especially love the weather-related effects on "Can't Stand the Rain" and "Water.") Sonics on both the CD-4 and QR conversions I've heard are practically hi-res. Easy "9."

this Poll thread is for a different album, GCS' eponyonyonymouse hippopottamousse album!
"I Can't Stand the Rain" and "Water" are on the Quad of 1975's "Ain't No 'Bout A Doubt It" which was CD-4 and Q8 only, no Q4 release unfortunately..

this Poll thread is for a different album, GCS' eponyonyonymouse hippopottamousse album!
"I Can't Stand the Rain" and "Water" are on the Quad of 1975's "Ain't No 'Bout A Doubt It" which was CD-4 and Q8 only, no Q4 release unfortunately..

Oh, dang...I was blinded by my funky party goggles, but you're absolutely right! (I guess it was the only "Graham Central Station" that turned up in a poll search, and in my haste, I assumed there was only one GCS quad....) Well, I hereby withdraw my vote, until such time as I hear the hypotenuse album. But I demand to be shown a poll for Ain't No 'Bout!

Back