Quad LP/Tape Poll Grand Funk Railroad: We're An American Band [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "We're An American Band"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Capitol Q8W-11207, from 1973.

Program 1:

We're An American Band
Stop Lookin' Back
Creepin'
Black Licorice

Program 2:

The Railroad
Ain't Got Nobody
Walk Like a Man
Loneliest Rider

ED :)

Agree. The sound structure doesn't allow for a fully discrete mix, however it is a nice listen, especially if you're going to Omaha. :)

I'll keep this one simple. Too much echo, not very discrete.

Pretty much my opinion on the Jim Croce Q8's, which aren't nearly as bad, but echo is a problem with these. Sure wish someone who knew what they were doing had mixed them, but they is what they is. The #1 hit helps to compensate for the deficiencies, it's still killer.

ED :)

Don't think that WAAB would had allowed for a more discrete mix, since the sound structure is not so layered as the followers Shinin' on or All The Girls. There is some quad effect used here and there (railroad, the ending of Loneliest rider...) but the quad is used mainly for presence (and it does!). Craig Frost was the new guy in the band and Mark Don & Mel didn't rely too much on him, so the sound structure is still the "power trio".
Then, with Shinin' On, things changed musically and allowed for more layered sound, thus more element in the recipe ready to stir in 4 channels.

Back