Grand Theft

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

go4vinyl

Hello,

Does anyone know if this a true quad stereo lp. I don't have the Quad gear in order to hear it. But it's an unusual record for a local release recorded in Quad stereo back in the day.
Grand Theft Self Titled No Label GT-1 1972. Band is from Mercer Island,WA.

Sounds interesting. If I locate one, I'll post whether or not it is true quad.

Could you post a photo?

The original lp never came with artwork just a plain white cover.
Below is a label scan.

Attachments

• Grand Theft  Label Scan.jpg
    Grand Theft Label Scan.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 256
Wow, only two songs on the first side. They must be long.

Very cool! I actually live on Mercer Island, but I've never heard of these guys. And I've never seen this record before. I'll have to add it to my want list. I'd be curious as well to find out if it is real quad or not.

Hello,

Does anyone know if this a true quad stereo lp. I don't have the Quad gear in order to hear it. But it's an unusual record for a local release recorded in Quad stereo back in the day.
Grand Theft Self Titled No Label GT-1 1972. Band is from Mercer Island,WA.
Play it thru DPL2 and you might get a rush. Most likely a qs matrix.

The original lp never came with artwork just a plain white cover.
Below is a label scan.

Interesting. Never really thought about the possibility of independent artists recording in quad back in the day. It would be very interesting to have someone w/ a good surround vinyl setup take a listen to this and see if it's true quad. Might you be willing to loan it to someone? It would be great to have a conversion done if it was actual quad material. I don't have a vinyl setup running at all right now, but Cai comes to mind as having an excellent system. Where are you located?

I am in Washington too. Sorry I don't loan records. An original copy of Grand Theft is up for sale on ebay. You might be able to find a copy at a record store,thrift store,garage sale,flea market,estate sale.

I am in Washington too. Sorry I don't loan records. An original copy of Grand Theft is up for sale on ebay. You might be able to find a copy at a record store,thrift store,garage sale,flea market,estate sale.

The version of this thread delivered to my email stated that the last Ebay copy went for $335. Way too steep just to satisfy my curiousity. But since Cai is a vinylaholic maybe he'd be interested in bidding on it. :)

I've got a cd version of this album coming (it also includes their unreleased second album).. It's possible that the quad encoding is still intact. I'll report back after it arrives and I've listened to it.

I listened to the cd version run through a TATE. The results were not very good. No surprise. I never heard the album version, but the cd version of the first album sounds poorly recorded. Very little bass. Hell, even the included mono demo material sounds fuller sonically. I wonder if the original album sounds just as weak...(?). It is definitely a studio recording, but it sounds like the master was re-recorded using two Radio Shack mics into a cassette deck.

Too bad because the music is raw and jammy in a 1972 kinda way (if that makes any sense). I hear influences by the Stooges, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, and even Grand Funk Railroad.

The status on this one is still yet to be determined.

Back