ANALOG Grassroots 16 Greatest Hits Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I think that I'm knowledgable, someone like Q-Eight shows me how dumb I am! I have a QS and a Q8 of this, as well as two volumes of Greatest on MCA CD's. I guess I need to do some A/B'ing! In '86, I saw Rob Grill as an opening act for the Monkees. RIP This is a GREAT collection, and, yes, the mixes are odd. I had no idea there are five mixes of Sooner or Later! I was aware of a couple. Q-Eight, you are a God!!

Bella Linda

Breathing life back into an old post, I can also add along with the new mixes of "Let's Live for Today" and "Bella Linda", there are also at LEAST FIVE different mixes of "Sooner or Later". I love this song, been a fave of mine since I was a kid. There's the original stereo mix easiest to point it out would be horns in the Left channel with the guitar part mixed up high in the mix and the organ part potted down. Piano hard right. This version HAS Dennis Provisor's "soul shouting" in the background and also has his long, drawn out "yeeeaaaaa-eee---eeehh--eh" from about 2:03 through 2:10. There are two Quad mixes. There's the modern stereo re-mix found on the 20th Century Masters album which has the horns mixed into the right channel, yet the guitar and organ stay in the left. This time, organ is potted up, guitar buried. Piano hard right. Drums are also given a much more "open" mix to them as well. Percussion is not mixed very high and Dennis' soul shouting has been omitted. The "alternate" Quad-mix has at least two or three tracks of his shouting open.

I also have a mono version of this song that I have on an mp3 and I cannot for the life of me recall where it came from. The fidelity isn't all that great so I must've recorded it off an 8-track tape or something. This version completely omits the horns and the background vocals are mixed really low. This version has Dennis' soul shouting and seems to be a comp of the tracks. Some parts are double-tracked, some parts aren't. It's like they were picking out the best parts of however many takes exist on the multitrack.

Anyway, because of all this, I would tend to agree that somehow, the Grass Roots multitracks do still exist.

Oh, another thing is that the modern mix has a really nasty flutter at 1:57-1:58.

See Figures 6 and 7 in US patent 3730532

Also of possible interest:

US 3564157 PLAYBACK CHANGE APPARATUS FOR MULTITRACK TAPE RECORDER

US 3773272 TAPE-CARTRIDGE ASSEMBLY

US 3895765 Reel to reel cartridge tape player system

US 3927419 CARTRIDGE TAPE PLAYER
Fig. 7

US 3967789 Tape winding system

US 3980246 Automatic tape winding system

US 4003089 Electronic channel selecting system for a quad-stereo tape player

US 4041538 Low noise magnetic transducer preamplifier having flat response

US 4142221 NAB tape cartridge eraser and splice finder

US 4389683 Switch-tuned filters

If you compare Figures 6 and 7 in US patent 3730532
http://www.google.com/patents?id=XJ85AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

you can see that it disagrees with the information here
http://dc197.4shared.com/doc/xCMg37c3/preview.html

Reading down the tape the tracks go:
1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 1R, 2R, 3R, 4R. The playback head has two pickups spaced
apart so they read 1L and 1R for track one. When you switch to track two it
reads 2L and 2R and so on.

To play discrete four-channel tapes the playback head needs four pickups, and
the eight tracks on the tape have to be rearranged into two sets of four. Now
they read 1LF, 2LF, 1RF, 2RF, 1LR, 2LR, 1RR, 2RR. With this configuration the
playback head only has to move down one position and back up again to read
the two sets of channels. The disadvantage to this setup is that there are only
two available choices of tracks at any one time, while the stereo 8 track has
four. This also means that for the same length playing time a Quad cartridge
has to have twice as much tape as a stereo cartridge.

Which one is right?

A little off topic, but I've also found that the Muntz 4-track cartridge of "More Golden Grass" also has some wacky stereo mixes. "Let's Live for Today" has vocals split Lead left and backgrounds on the right. "Feelings" has some ping-ponging vocals. The "aaaawwww hey!" that starts the song comes on in the left. Most lead vocals are in the center. The bridges that start with the "I've never known 'til now" vocals are on the right until the "nah-nah-nah-nah-na-nahaaaaaaaaa" parts.

More alternate mixes. I've not checked to see if the LP of the album has the same mixes, but as I recall, I don't think it did.

A little off topic, but I've also found that the Muntz 4-track cartridge of "More Golden Grass" also has some wacky stereo mixes. "Let's Live for Today" has vocals split Lead left and backgrounds on the right. "Feelings" has some ping-ponging vocals. The "aaaawwww hey!" that starts the song comes on in the left. Most lead vocals are in the center. The bridges that start with the "I've never known 'til now" vocals are on the right until the "nah-nah-nah-nah-na-nahaaaaaaaaa" parts.

More alternate mixes. I've not checked to see if the LP of the album has the same mixes, but as I recall, I don't think it did.

Way off topic here, but is there a model or brand of 4-track player that you would recommend, or any to specifically avoid? A friend found a bunch of sealed tapes and I'm tempted to open one (by The Fool) to play it, plus I've had Sgt. Pepper's since I was a kid and always wanted to see how it sounds.

If you get a Gidget, you can play 4-track Muntz cartridges on your 8-track player. 8 tracks have the pinch roller intergated into the cartridge (which you knew.) 4 track Muntz cartridges don't.
4-track-gidget.jpg

Way off topic here, but is there a model or brand of 4-track player that you would recommend, or any to specifically avoid? A friend found a bunch of sealed tapes and I'm tempted to open one (by The Fool) to play it, plus I've had Sgt. Pepper's since I was a kid and always wanted to see how it sounds.

I've always been a Craig/Pioneer man myself. My 4-track player is a Craig 4+4 Convertible (Model 3202). It's a component unit, and as the 4+4 denotes, playes both 4 and 8 track cartridges. Easy to repair too. Very easy to disassemble and access to internal mechanisms is a breeze,

Also, I've found my 4-track of "Leaving it all Behind", the song "Walkin' through the Country" has an extra verse!!

The problem with the widget/gidget is that MOST 4-track cartridges don't have a latch notch on the side of the cartridge body itself. Because of this, not many 8-track players will latch onto and play the cartridge.

I picked up one of these "Leave It All Behind Ya" postcards at Louis Armstrongs' home in Corona, Queens. He preached the benefits of Swiss Kriss wherever he went. He even handed packages to royals after command performances. :yikes
20-swisskriss_rect640.jpg

...I've found my 4-track of "Leaving it all Behind", the song "Walkin' through the Country" has an extra verse!!

Does anyone know this: In the song "Let's Live For Today", there is the count where they go 1-2-3-4, and these numbers are put into each channel. (A classic "gimmick" of the quad era, but lovable none the less :D ). Anyway, are these supposed to be 1(FL), 2(FR), 3(RL), 4(RR), or ????.

I can't remember if they are supposed to circle the room, or just bounce from each speaker.

THANKS

Here's my take, somehow it seems this went in 50 directions from the original question. The 1, 2, 3, 4 has nothing to do with speaker placement, it's the beat count so the band starts in sync, the fact it was left in the mixdown was the producer/engineers choice. I guess they thought it would be cool to bounce it to the 4 channels but it has nothing to do with channel placement. When quad was king the average studio still only had 16 tracks for recording, better studios had 32 tracks, but they cost a fortune. In the 70s I helped put together Sound 80 Studios (I had a very small roll in it but at least I was there.) and the initial thought was to go with 16 tracks but we ended up running 32. They were probably the first studio in the country to go digital and that ment going with 64 tracks to record on, back then incredible (now days some use over 500 tracks when recording). The numbers may be a bit off as far as how many tracks were used, it's been close to 40 years now and I'm retired, so is part of the memory portion of my brain, it may have been 128 tracks when they went digital, hard to remember.

The main thing is, the 4 count is standard when a band starts a song, the drummer usually calls it, leaving it on tape is just a matter of choice when doing the mixdown from the master tape. A lot of producer/engineers liked to experiment with the quad mixes, thus, you had some quad tapes that were released but sounded like garbage, it was hot back then and they just wanted to get it out so the public would buy it (kind of like BUGGY software today). There were some that just did a dual stereo mix to quad because they were stupid and lazy and then some who thought it would be cool to put the main vocals on the rear channels, also because they didn't have a clue. The folks that did know quad the best (like Alan Parsons) wanted to make the quad experience like seeing a live band in concert, the best breakdowns were main vocals in front, most harmonies/backup vocals in the rear with a small bleed on the front channels, lead guitar in front and rhythm in the rear along with the bass and the main drum beat in all 4 with rolls going to various channels. There was of course variations of all this but most of the better engineers tried to keep the basics intact. The other part was band size, if you had 3 main players doing all the parts (roughly Grand Funk type bands) you worked the mix one way, but if you had a Moody Blues type band it left open all kinds of new ways to mixdown. I guess most people think 4 channel was easy to mix, and in a way it was if you stayed with the pure basics, but to do a mix good and then with a 5 or 6 man (woman) band, it was not easy by any means. I know some larger bands tried but because of the complexity, they just could not get a mix they liked, back then at least. (ie Fleetwood Mac) The deal with symphonies and soundtrack music (movie songs) was actually a bit easier, a 30 man orchestra let you put instruments anywhere, but again, there were variations depending on the producer/engineer. A good example for an excellent high quality mix by a large group is Enoch Light who was another pioneer in quad sound mixes. If you ever find one, get the Enoch Light quad tape of "Big Band" music (hits of the 30s and 40s or hits of the 40s and 50s to name a couple) this is some of the finest 4 channel music I've ever heard, period. I can't begin to describe how good something like Glen Millers "Moonlight Sonata" sounds in quad but it will bring chills to your spine if your a true quadhead. I'm sorry, I got to rambling too, oh well. I do want to make one last note, there is a lot of music in quad (rock, country etc) that is not listed anywhere. Their mainly in 8 track and commonly called "Truck Stop Tapes". A lot of small, jump on the bandwagon, here today gone tomorrow type companies bought licensing rights to do albums or compilations for cheap, they did there own mixes and put them on 8 tracks to sell at truck stops or budget stores. They made odd labels, silly names and had goofy pictures but hey, some of then were actually very good quad mixes, they just used cheap tape and cases bought in bulk for reduced prices, back then it was bad but now, 40 years later their (very) rare and sound just as good as the high buck mainstream tapes. I have a few and they sound great (average or better quad mix), a couple to note are 2 Door Albums, their first which was self titled and also their "Morrison Hotel" album, never released by the big boys but some budget "Track Stop Tape" companies did release them in 8 track quad. I've started to finally put what I have in a database and noticed I also have The Who "Who's Next" album in one of those cheapie TS tapes, their out there, but their rare. The companies may have been around for a year or two to make a quick buck then when quad fizzled they closed their doors.

I think if the major companies were to make quad tapes again they would do well, time has proven now that it's not just a FAD and even young kids (20s & 30s) are getting into it and buying.

Again, sorry for rambling, I've been into quad since 71 or so, playing in bands (guitars and keys) since the mid 60s and repairing the (4 and ) 8 track tapes since the mid 70s so there's a lot in my head beside air.

Quadmaker, that's a very insightful and well written response. However, I don't think you're familiar with the song "Let's Live for Today".
Here's a link to the song: http://youtu.be/ySjxZDT_5SA

The countdown is very much part of the song and is mostly repeated during the second half of the song. It's not a count-in from the drummer to signal when to start, it's actually part of the vocals! On the Q8's of this album, one mix has all vocals front and center, while the other mix is more ambitious and creative. On that version of the Q8, the remix engineer decided to pot the vocals to the four corners for that instance. (Four-Corner panning being a staple of most any Quad mix). The original question was in regards to the locations for these counts as many GRT-produced Q8 cartridges have channel location errors from the factory. Quality control was evidently not a high prioriety at the GRT duplicating plant.

Quadmaker, that's a very insightful and well written response. However, I don't think you're familiar with the song "Let's Live for Today".
Here's a link to the song: http://youtu.be/ySjxZDT_5SA

The countdown is very much part of the song and is mostly repeated during the second half of the song. It's not a count-in from the drummer to signal when to start, it's actually part of the vocals! On the Q8's of this album, one mix has all vocals front and center, while the other mix is more ambitious and creative. On that version of the Q8, the remix engineer decided to pot the vocals to the four corners for that instance. (Four-Corner panning being a staple of most any Quad mix). The original question was in regards to the locations for these counts as many GRT-produced Q8 cartridges have channel location errors from the factory. Quality control was evidently not a high prioriety at the GRT duplicating plant.

On the copy I have, at 0:33 it sound like this:

Lf echo . THREE .
Rf . echo . FOUR
Lr ONE . echo .
Rr . TWO . echo

I pulled the Q8T out to refresh my memory and have the song going now. I have the GRT tape (blue case) and when he says 1,2,3,4 it goes to the different channels and is the count lead in for the harmony part Sha La La La let's live for today, this is one of those deals I mentioned where the engineer thought it would be cool. You are right, it's not the beat count to start the song, but it's still a beat (timing) count. In this case the band made it part of the song. In any case, it's there and it does go to the four channels, whatever the reason. I remember years ago I worked on a remix for this album but quad was (for the most part) dead then and no one wanted to pursue it, the whole album could have been mixed a lot better. I think we're both on track though. I'm not sure if I have the LP version of this, I'm still working on entering quad reels into my database.

P.S. the youtube link seems to be banned in my country thanks to UMG, I'm in the U.S. so not sure why their being so picky.

If you worked on this album for remix, could you satisfy some curiosity for me? What's the status of the Grass Roots Multitracks?? I know some must have been spared "the great MCA purge" as, like you said, they were available for remix. I think Steve Hoffman got a chance to do some remixing a few years ago as well.

And yes, I absolutely agree that this album could stand a more logical Quad remix. I think this would be a fantastic choice for a DVD-Audio or just a nice DVD-A/V in high quality surround sound.

Back