Grateful Dead in Surround (Dolby Atmos mixes of "American Beauty", "Europe '72" & "Workingman's Dead" now streaming!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jealous that you get to discover this album in Atmos for the first time!! It was one of the milestones to get me and my theater to the state that it's in right now. It's the real deal, and a top contender for publications like IAA's streaming immersive album of the year (and unfortunate unobtanium for an uncompressed version.....cmon give us a bluray!!)

Last edited:
Grateful Dead American Beauty - 2022 Steven Wilson Atmos, 5.1 & stereo mixes + OOP 2001 Mickey Hart 5.1 & stereo mixes + latest 1970 stereo remaster + "The Angel's Share" bonus material compilation
1680544947757.png

The Dead mixes are more or less confirmed to be getting a physical release at some point, presumably through Dead Inc, who still regularly puts out new-old live show recording box sets. If/When the Steven Wilson Mixes get physical releases I’d bet it would be through Dead Inc/Rhino rather than SDE

The Dead mixes are more or less confirmed to be getting a physical release at some point, presumably through Dead Inc, who still regularly puts out new-old live show recording box sets. If/When the Steven Wilson Mixes get physical releases I’d bet it would be through Dead Inc/Rhino rather than SDE
While I have no doubt that Steven Wilson is advocating for this behind-the-scenes, I think the opportunity for such releases (at least for the American Beauty and Europe '72 albums) has come and gone. Rhino put out a 3-disc reissue & new stereo remaster of AB for its 50th in 2020, plus that "Angel's Share" demos & outtakes compilation. So what's left to include in another physical version of the album, other than the surround mixes?

For Europe '72, they just put out a series of CD & LP deluxe editions this past November (around the same time the Atmos mix appeared) again with a new remaster. It seems unlikely that another physical reissue would appear so soon after.

I think the the best chance for a physical Atmos release of anything Dead is with the upcoming 50th anniversary of Wake Of The Flood this October. Assuming they plan to issue a similar two or three disc set with a new stereo remaster, perhaps they could add a Blu-Ray with SW remixes. But they had the opportunity to do this for Europe '72 a few months back and didn't...

While I have no doubt that Steven Wilson is advocating for this behind-the-scenes, I think the opportunity for such releases (at least for the American Beauty and Europe '72 albums) has come and gone. Rhino put out a 3-disc reissue & new stereo remaster of AB for its 50th in 2020, plus that "Angel's Share" demos & outtakes compilation. So what's left to include in another physical version of the album, other than the surround mixes?

For Europe '72, they just put out a series of CD & LP deluxe editions this past November (around the same time the Atmos mix appeared) again with a new remaster. It seems unlikely that another physical reissue would appear so soon after.

I think the the best chance for a physical Atmos release of anything Dead is with the upcoming 50th anniversary of Wake Of The Flood this October. Assuming they plan to issue a similar two or three disc set with a new stereo remaster, perhaps they could add a Blu-Ray with SW remixes. But they had the opportunity to do this for Europe '72 a few months back and didn't...
Musically speaking, this is the saddest thing I’ve read on the Internet this year.

If I had any firm hope that a streaming title would always be there, maybe I wouldn’t care as much. But this was a series I was really hoping to own.

I know it’s speculation on your part and with some logic behind it, but I would find this crushing news if it turns out to be true.

One last present before bed (really I should be off, had iPad beta firmware shenanigans)
Awesome, though I'm a bit bummed Hart got to do this one instead of SW. The Atmos mix seems similar to his 5.1 from years ago (fortunately sans the excessive added reverb), you get a nice enveloping effect from the vocals but there's not a lot of directionality or 'discrete' elements. Also, drums & bass are interestingly panned almost entirely to the side speakers.

Holy smokes, Workingman's Dead is fabulous. In addition to great spatial decisions (as we've come to expect from SW), very smart choices here to clean up the mixes too (helps to have Mickey on board to justify/support that kind of stuff). Best evidence right off the bat is "Uncle John's Band" - the a cappella section at the end always had bleed through of a soft percussion track that helped them keep time... here, it's a departure from what the world has known for 50 years, but it's cleaned up, crystal clear, and absolutely spine-tingling. I'm over-using the word these days, but it's the right one and it's thrilling so many of these releases deserve it: once again, "definitive".

Last edited:
Holy smokes, Workingman's Dead is fabulous. In addition to great spatial decisions (as we've come to expect from SW), very smart choices here to clean up the mixes too (helps to have Mickey on board to justify/support that kind of stuff).
I don't think SW was involved this time around, at least based on the way the Atmos mix has been constructed: the drums are panned almost entirely to the side speakers, and the center is used not only for vocals but also some dry snare, bass, and acoustic guitar. I agree it sounds good (and better than the old 5.1 version), but American Beauty was better executed in my view.

I don't think SW was involved this time around, at least based on the way the Atmos mix has been constructed: the drums are panned almost entirely to the side speakers, and the center is used not only for vocals but also some dry snare, bass, and acoustic guitar. I agree it sounds good (and better than the old 5.1 version), but American Beauty was better executed in my view.
Oh interesting, yeah I just took it for granted SW was involved after he said he was doing a bunch of Dead - wonder if this was fully a Mickey joint. Well, it doesn’t change my experience with it as the best with WD so far but your points are well taken!

Wait, do we have to fight now? Dang, I like your articles and stuff, too. Oh well. En garde! 😁

Back