Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead (50th Anniversary Edition) (No Surround...)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Well, this is a big disappointment.
The Grateful Dead are reissuing "Workingman's Dead" for its 50th anniversary, but they have elected not to include the 2001 5.1 surround mix in the package.
@ForagingRhino, any indication why Rhino and the band decided not to include the 5.1 surround mix in this reissue?
I would have thought this would have been the perfect opportunity to reissue the 5.1 surround mix.

https://www.amazon.com/Workingmans-Dead-50th-Anniversary-Deluxe/dp/B0882NXWCX/

I'm ok with it. That DVD-A seems to be gaining prestige and going up in price on the used market. Glad I go it and American Beauty.

God I love the DVD-A format. It is agreeable, compatible, rippable, and those cases are attractive. It is first generation high-resolution digital, where DSD is converted from PCM just about always. I know folk can't hear the difference but I like purity, and my music server likes 24/96kHz more than it likes DSD. It's just the way it is.

Go get the DVD-A if you want the 5.1 mix. You'll be glad you got it.

I'm ok with it. That DVD-A seems to be gaining prestige and going up in price on the used market. Glad I go it and American Beauty.

God I love the DVD-A format. It is agreeable, compatible, rippable, and those cases are attractive. It is first generation high-resolution digital, where DSD is converted from PCM just about always. I know folk can't hear the difference but I like purity, and my music server likes 24/96kHz more than it likes DSD. It's just the way it is.

Go get the DVD-A if you want the 5.1 mix. You'll be glad you got it.

Analog to PCM wasn't it no DSD involved.

The only DSD recording converted to PCM I am aware of was Joni Mitchells Both Sides Now DVDA

Well, this is a big disappointment.
The Grateful Dead are reissuing "Workingman's Dead" for its 50th anniversary, but they have elected not to include the 2001 5.1 surround mix in the package.
@ForagingRhino, any indication why Rhino and the band decided not to include the 5.1 surround mix in this reissue?
I would have thought this would have been the perfect opportunity to reissue the 5.1 surround mix.

https://www.amazon.com/Workingmans-Dead-50th-Anniversary-Deluxe/dp/B0882NXWCX/
Perhaps we need to redirect same question to our new member @Steel Woole.
Pretty sure that 2004 RHINO DVD-A is out of print.

Could be a cost thing, could be a band thing, could be an "it's already out there" thing, or it could be as simple as whoever put this release together forgot about it. Shit happens. The one good thing is that the 5.1 mix is out there and obtainable and most surround fans who like the Dead probably already have it.

Far more annoying, to me anyway, is when we know (or are led to believe) that there is a new 5.1 or old quad mix that was never released but is available to use and they just don't use it, like Graceland and a host of other titles.

Could be a cost thing, could be a band thing, could be an "it's already out there" thing, or it could be as simple as whoever put this release together forgot about it. Shit happens. The one good thing is that the 5.1 mix is out there and obtainable and most surround fans who like the Dead probably already have it.

Far more annoying, to me anyway, is when we know (or are led to believe) that there is a new 5.1 or old quad mix that was never released but is available to use and they just don't use it, like Graceland and a host of other titles.
They forgot about it in this case I think. I asked "why not" on that other forum, and a guy from Rhino I think he was said it's very expensive to mix to 5.1 and all the hassle/time involved. When I told him it was already done, and said oh you didn't know? He backtracked and said yes he knew, and accused me of being rude to suggest such a thing. So he didn't realize it was done previously and nobody mentioned it during the meetings I guess.

So I am happy that my DVD-A disc will stay valuable. And it will go up in value once those "imports" are all gone on ebay.

I'm fine with a few things remaining collector's items and never returning to retail. Makes collecting exciting and a little exclusive which is a part of what it is.

They forgot about it in this case I think. I asked "why not" on that other forum, and a guy from Rhino I think he was said it's very expensive to mix to 5.1 and all the hassle/time involved. When I told him it was already done, and said oh you didn't know? He backtracked and said yes he knew, and accused me of being rude to suggest such a thing. So he didn't realize it was done previously and nobody mentioned it during the meetings I guess.

this is the reason why surround never made it in the first place. Are you fuckin' kidding me with this response (guy from Rhino)?

I just lost a whole lotta respect for Rhino

this is the reason why surround never made it in the first place. Are you fuckin' kidding me with this response (guy from Rhino)?

I just lost a whole lotta respect for Rhino
He might be the Deadā€™s hire and not Rhino. Iā€™m not sure but he was deeply involved with the 50th set of this album. He got very defensive stating ā€œof course I knew it was mixed in 5.1ā€ and Iā€™m sure everyone knew he was lying. Heā€™d just stated it was too expense at this point to remix it. Iā€™ll find the comment and link.

Back