HiRez Poll Grateful Dead - WORKINGMAN'S DEAD [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Grateful Dead - WORKINGMAN'S DEAD

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y)(n)

To Comments.png

R-1192360-1199679373.jpeg.jpg

R-1192360-1199679389.jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• To Comments.png
    To Comments.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Companion to American Beauty gets the same mix treatment (if you thought the rears were too heavy on AB, you'll feel the same way about this). Me, I love it. Another classic release gets re-tooled so the listener now gets placed right into the middle of the action.

Listening to it as I type this. It really is great. I don't think the rears are too heavy at all. I give the mix an 8 and the sound quality a 10. Even it out, and I gave the disc a 9.

I voted long ago, and generally try not to comment on discs like this on the forum (I think I'm waaaaaaaaay too biased, seeing as I'm probably one of the only Dead Heads on the board).

I did want to post something, though, becuase my roomates and I have been on a search for the "perfect" copy of this album. We've acquired 2 different pressings on vinyl recently, and although the original WB green label we found sound better than any other CD or vinyl edition, we can't get away from the DVD-A (doesn't matter if it's stereo or 5.1). Hi-rez is so kind to acoustic instruments...being guitarists, we drool over hearing the precise sound of the pick meeting each string.

A perfect example of an album that was recorded several decades ago, but manages now to sound better than ever, without losing the spirit.

Gave this one a '9' because it doesn't quite have the songs that AB does. Would love a Terrapin Station surround disc myself....

Not a Dead-Head by any stretch, but this is one of those surprise discs that gets a "10." A whole new listening experience with each instrument and voice getting perfect detail and placement. Don't miss this one.

bg

Easily one of the loveliest sounding classic recordings in 5.1 Advanced Res DVDA in my little collection.
It sounds SO gorgeous, it just slips on through the speakers and before i know it the albums over..!!!
Boo!!
I'm possibly the only Quadraphilisitine in the world who prefers this album to American Beauty but.. there you go.. wouldn't do for us all to be the same, would it?

A very near the knuckle "9".
(I almost want to give it a "10" but i've saved those for my all-time faves..!!)

Actually, just listened to it, again, on Friday night; had some friends in from LA; Black Peter, sounds like Jerry is alive!
They were amazed by the mix on Dire Wolf; Bob Weir background vocals, are non existent on the CD
Great surround! (9)

Not as refined as AB, but I prefer this album, but just barely. WD does sound a little more digitally/cold than AB though. Great album!

Mix/Sonics.: 8
Music: 9

8 with a point subtracted for the limits of recording technology early 1970. A bit bass shy but Hart really upmixed Jerry's sparkling acoustic guitar on UJB which is the highlight for me of this disc.

Hmmmm.... Finally got round to acquiring this one. Two things literally leapt out of the speakers. This is a VERY loud disc when compared to other DVD-As I have. And it is incredibly bass heavy, again, compared to others. Once I turn the volume down a lot, and reduce the bass very significantly, the surround mix is entirely wonderful. BUT I am surprised by the volume and the bass - especially as JHW59 found it bass-shy. THis was so loud, I went back to check other discs and they all sound just fine at my regular settings. Am I the only one to have this issue? Weird...

Finally found a deal on this one ($25). Very enjoyable! I gave it an 8. The fidelity is amazing (acoustic instruments really shine in hi-rez), and I love how they've spread out the harmony vocals. It almost sounds like there's a different voice in every corner during "Uncle John's Band".

I do have some issues with the surround mix though, the big one being that it has a bit of that "big stereo" thing going on. The drums are in the front and the harmonies are spread out, but everything else sort of floats in the middle. You might get some steel guitar or acoustic leaning front or rear on occasion. I'm not sure how many tracks this was recorded on, but I would've liked a bit more isolation of the instruments. It's more of an "enveloping" type of sound rather than "discrete".

The other thing is that the lead vocal is in all four channels but seems to be louder in the rears, which can be kind of distracting.

Other notes/observations:
  • It unfortunately has the same loud mastering that plagues so many WEA 5.1 mixes from the DVD-A era
  • I agree with @cornwall198 that the bass is a bit overdone
  • Soloing the center channel is really interesting- you can hear some spooky isolated parts like an acoustic guitar in "Uncle John's Band" and a harmony vocal in "Casey Jones"
  • The 4:00 mark of "Uncle John's Band" is what surround is all about!
  • American Beauty on DVD-A is mixed the exact same way
"Uncle John's Band":

"Casey Jones":

Last edited:
Finally found a deal on this one ($25). Very enjoyable! I gave it an 8. The fidelity is amazing (acoustic instruments really shine in hi-rez), and I love how they've spread out the harmony vocals. It almost sounds like there's a different voice in every corner during "Uncle John's Band".

I do have some issues with the surround mix though, the big one being that it has a bit of that "big stereo" thing going on. The drums are in the front and the harmonies are spread out, but everything else sort of floats in the middle. You might get some steel guitar or acoustic leaning front or rear on occasion. I'm not sure how many tracks this was recorded on, but I would've liked a bit more isolation of the instruments. It's more of an "enveloping" type of sound rather than "discrete".

The other thing is that the lead vocal is in all four channels but seems to be louder in the rears, which can be kind of distracting.

Other notes/observations:
  • It unfortunately has the same loud mastering that plagues so many WEA 5.1 mixes from the DVD-A era
  • I agree with @cornwall198 that the bass is a bit overdone
  • Soloing the center channel is really interesting- you can hear some spooky isolated parts like an acoustic guitar in "Uncle John's Band" and a harmony vocal in "Casey Jones"
  • The 4:00 mark of "Uncle John's Band" is what surround is all about!
  • American Beauty on DVD-A is mixed the exact same way
"Uncle John's Band":
View attachment 38549

"Casey Jones":
View attachment 38550
Just wanted to say I really enjoy your detailed analyses of surround mixes... you tell me all the things I want to know about a mix (with pictures!) Thanksđź‘Ť

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your detailed analyses of surround mixes... you tell me all the things I want to know about a mix (with pictures!) Thanksđź‘Ť

Thanks! The pictures were something that I really liked to seeing in other members' reviews when I first got started here. I know not everyone is into the whole waveform thing, but to me it's a very quick and easy way to see what kind of mix you're dealing with. Though every once in a while you do see waveforms that "lie" and don't look very discrete, but they actually are (good examples would be Alan Parsons' "Eye In The Sky" and Fleetwood Mac's "Sara").

Back