Great ebay deal if your needing this Title.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Aretha title was available for at least a year or more after its initial release. It went on sale for $28 often, and we all posted about it when that happened. But it didn't sell out right away, and so no more Quad titles came. Just enjoy the good times while they last; because everything old that becomes new again, eventually goes "out of print."

You sound like an old FUDDY DUD Adam. You're way TOO YOUNG to reminisce. I still cannot believe those Rhino Handmade QUADIO Discs came out in 2010. Seems like yesterday.

And yes, the Aretha QUADIO mix is a bit wonky but cranked up, it sounds pretty spectacular. Who knows, maybe the 'handmade' engineers screwed up on the fronts/rears but the late Queen of Soul did have some remarkable hits and they

sound pretty 'lifelike' in LOSSY but more than serviceable DTS 4.0.

Perhaps someday, You, Adam Bleu, can concoct a surround master of your own which will AUTO CORRECT all of those WONKY surround discs and put the channels where they belong and adjust the levels in ALL channels to 'spurt out' the absolute CORRECT algorithms.

Get Crackin' Brit BOY!

R-A-P-H-A-E-L, find out what it means to me - all Fred’s asking for - is just a little respect... just a little bit... :ROFLMAO:

R-A-P-H-A-E-L, find out what it means to me - all Fred’s asking for - is just a little respect... just a little bit... :ROFLMAO:

Mr. Smithers, Adam has my undying love and respect in spades. And he knows that. I was just ruminating a theory that since SO many Surround Releases [too numerous to name] have reversed channels, channel imbalances, etc. that wouldn't it be thrilling if we had a miracle device to correct all these anomalies?

Wish I had a scientific background in audio but with what's being done today with advances in computer science, wonder if such a device could ever be feasible?

And if my post was taken out of context......apologies all around.

Mr. Smithers, Adam has my undying love and respect in spades. And he knows that. I was just ruminating a theory that since SO many Surround Releases [too numerous to name] have reversed channels, channel imbalances, etc. that wouldn't it be thrilling if we had a miracle device to correct all these anomalies?

Wish I had a scientific background in audio but with what's being done today with advances in computer science, wonder if such a device could ever be feasible?

Well I have to say I think you’re quite already qualified old bean, science or no science. You've already got 4 Ears for a start! And a lot of knowhow and experience in the MCH hemisphere - no doubt about that. We all know what sounds good and it’s important to try and get the best we can. You’ve got a lot of respect over here!

The Aretha Franklin Quadio Greatest Hits? Yes, it does! But Aretha needs MORE respect in hi res multichannel ........ wouldn't you agree?

Yeah defo agree, but still I was pretty surprised such a legend had stuff available in quad. Also have the Aretha Now in stereo hi res (192hz) which - whilst it sounds good on paper - is a bit Mickey Mouse compared to the quad... That just goes to show I’m a quadio junkie!

I dunno when you hear some of the songs that are well mixed in quad - you’re hooked!

I’m just learning this stuff new so a lot of things sound a lot better :phones

Yeah defo agree, but still I was pretty surprised such a legend had stuff available in quad. Also have the Aretha Now in stereo hi res (192hz) which - whilst it sounds good on paper - is a bit Mickey Mouse compared to the quad... That just goes to show I’m a quadio junkie!

I dunno when you hear some of the songs that are well mixed in quad - you’re hooked!

I’m just learning this stuff new so a lot of things sound a lot better :phones

You'll be happy to know, Master Smithers, that Aretha does have one more unreleased QUAD title [at least in a hi res digital format]:

ARETHA FRANKLIN -
Best. Atlantic QD-8305 (CD4), ATLQ-8305-QF (QR), QT-8305 (Q8)
{The title above was released only in quad, no stereo version known}
Live at the Fillmore West. Atlantic QD-7205 (CD4), QT-7205
[previously TP-7205Q] (Q8)

I've never heard the QUAD mix of Aretha Live @ Fillmore West but if anyone has and cares to comment on the mix....much appreciated!

Last edited:
I've got both Aretha's on CD-4, and listened into the Live one a little bit in the past. Spirit In The Dark with Ray Charles has some good spread if I remember correctly. I think when Aretha calls out to Ray and says something to the effect of "come on over here" you can hear the movement across the entire stage, and it's quite real and convincing. The surrounds are better than just live ambiance, but it was a few years ago when I last heard it - so my memory could be mistaken.

You sound like an old FUDDY DUD Adam. You're way TOO YOUNG to reminisce. I still cannot believe those Rhino Handmade QUADIO Discs came out in 2010. Seems like yesterday.

And yes, the Aretha QUADIO mix is a bit wonky but cranked up, it sounds pretty spectacular. Who knows, maybe the 'handmade' engineers screwed up on the fronts/rears but the late Queen of Soul did have some remarkable hits and they

sound pretty 'lifelike' in LOSSY but more than serviceable DTS 4.0.

Perhaps someday, You, Adam Bleu, can concoct a surround master of your own which will AUTO CORRECT all of those WONKY surround discs and put the channels where they belong and adjust the levels in ALL channels to 'spurt out' the absolute CORRECT algorithms.

Get Crackin' Brit BOY!

haha.. i guess we could say Ralphie boy, "the past just ain't what it used to be!":LOL:

You'll be happy to know, Master Smithers, that Aretha does have one more unreleased QUAD title [at least in a hi res digital format]:

ARETHA FRANKLIN -
Best. Atlantic QD-8305 (CD4), ATLQ-8305-QF (QR), QT-8305 (Q8)
{The title above was released only in quad, no stereo version known}
Live at the Fillmore West. Atlantic QD-7205 (CD4), QT-7205
[previously TP-7205Q] (Q8)

I've never heard the QUAD mix of Aretha Live @ Fillmore West but if anyone has and cares to comment on the mix....much appreciated!

hmm.. now that i think about it, 'twas the devil's own work when recording in my Aretha Live Q8 Quad tape, trying to work out exactly what was happening where but it seemed like the channels on the tape were screwed up!?
once i'd tinkered with it to the point it felt stuff was where I thought it maybe should be, it had more surround activity than i was expecting.. however, bearing in mind how weird Aretha's Hits comp Quad mix is, maybe her live Quad mix is weird too and I rearranged the channels in error!? o_O

edit/ps. i stopped short of getting the Aretha Live CD-4 and now I'm done with all that, well let's hope Rhino revisit Aretha in surround someday, would be a lovely tribute in the wake of her sad demise.

Last edited:
Listened to this recently and and thought the channels might need to be re-assigned on some cuts like some other titles mentioned in another thread on this site (eg. Neil Young's Harvest). Haven't taken the time to try that yet myself. If anybody does can they give their impressions?

Listened to this recently and and thought the channels might need to be re-assigned on some cuts like some other titles mentioned in another thread on this site (eg. Neil Young's Harvest). Haven't taken the time to try that yet myself. If anybody does can they give their impressions?

there are people who maintain the Harvest 5.1 is as it should be (i had a brief fiddle around with it a while back and preferred the post-fiddle result.. but i respect it may just have been unnecessary tinkering with a mix that's simply unconventional and doesn't require any adjustment).. as for Aretha's Hits Quad mix, I've yet to tinker but will one day.

Update since I posted that early and concerned it would get away I decided to start the process of buying the item. After contacting seller and agreeing on shipping costs (not USA seller) and awaiting shipping notification got the dreaded cancelation and sob story of can't locate item ? WTF
After many transactions (150+ probably not really that many) got my second cancelled from seller message. I'm withholding negative comment of both sellers country of origin (cancellation's from same country) All the more reason why I only sell to USA locations elimination of problems. Just happy a member didn't express interest as I was willing to sell at my cost.

I hear that the mix on this is good, none available on discogs at the moment last sale there was $100+.
The dual disc on this release sells for around this range, this is sealed brand new DVD-Audio.
In The Zone .......Brittany Spears..... Not my cup of joe but hey it makes ones collection whole as they say.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Britney-Sp...498235&hash=item2f2f841a70:g:9xYAAOSwIztcgC2w

This seller must REALLY like this disc...he's sold 3 of them in a short period of time and listed them at $49 each time..LOL

Back