Greatest Quits: Top Ten Unreleased Quad Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
The last decade has seen some amazing surfacings of lost quad mixes by Laura Nyro, Jethro Tull and other greats — as well as new 5.1 mixes of titles like Yes/Close to the Edge that once teased us with a quad release. Sweet.

But there remain a number of unreleased or announced big albums that remain out of reach. Two different things, those are: “unreleased” presupposes an actual existing mix, while “announced” doesn’t.

Here is my list of the most coveted in both categories combined, with those announced but lacking any evidence of an existing tape starred (*). I invite disagreement, or correction in the case of the starred titles. But I’m pretty sure about most of them. One, in fact, I believe towers over the others as the clear winner.

One rule: the mix must not be currently available to collectors in decent quality. This disqualifies any of the Mike Walt Robin reels. Though many of us might well love a 4.0 SACD of Edgar Winter/White Trash (and I would bet we’ll see one), it’s availability on QR — bootleg or no — makes it a lower priority. Also not counting SQ-only greats like Bob Dylan/Desire — such “indiscrete” titles will have to wait for another list.

(Alphabetically by artist)

Boston — Boston
*Ohio Players - Contradiction
*Ohio Players - Skin Tight
*Ringo Starr — Ringo
Styx — The Grand Illusion
*Supertramp — Crime of the Century
Stevie Wonder — Talking Book
Stevie Wonder — Innervisions

Note: At least a couple have recently dropped off the list because of a new 5.1 release (Pink Floyd/Animals) or several (Jethro Tull/M.U.), leaving two more spaces to fill.

Have at it!

The last decade has seen some amazing surfacings of lost quad mixes by Laura Nyro, Jethro Tull and other greats — as well as new 5.1 mixes of titles like Yes/Close to the Edge that once teased us with a quad release. Sweet.

But there remain a number of unreleased or announced big albums that remain out of reach. Two different things, those are: “unreleased” presupposes an actual existing mix, while “announced” doesn’t.

Here is my list of the most coveted in both categories combined, with those announced but lacking any evidence of an existing tape starred (*). I invite disagreement, or correction in the case of the starred titles. But I’m pretty sure about most of them. One, in fact, I believe towers over the others as the clear winner.

One rule: the mix must not be currently available to collectors in decent quality. This disqualifies any of the Mike Walt Robin reels. Though many of us might well love a 4.0 SACD of Edgar Winter/White Trash (and I would bet we’ll see one), it’s availability on QR — bootleg or no — makes it a lower priority. Also not counting great SQ-only greats like Bob Dylan/Desire — such “indiscrete” titles will have to wait for another list.

(Alphabetically by artist)

Boston — Boston
*Skin Tight — Ohio Players
*Contradiction — Ohio Players
*Ringo — Ringo Starr
Styx — The Grand Illusion
*Supertramp — Crime of the Century
Stevie Wonder — Talking Book
Stevie Wonder — Innervisions

Note: At least a couple have recently dropped off the list because of a new 5.1 release (Pink Floyd/Animals) or several (Jethro Tull/M.U.), leaving two more spaces to fill.

Have at it!

I'm a broken record on this, I know, but: the first thing that leaps to mind is Elliot Scheiner's completed/unreleased 5.1 mix of Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic. (The other classic SD albums were merely "announced"; Scheiner said in two different interviews, I think, that this one was done.)

The remaining Elton John releases would be at the top of my list. I think the unreleased group includes Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player, Caribou, Rock of the Westies, and Blue Moves (please correct if wrong).
Further, I believe these are known to have been mixed already by Greg Penny and languishing on a shelf somewhere.

The below titles would all be huge for me:

Electric Light Orchestra - ELO II
Electric Light Orchestra - El Dorado
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Paul McCartney - Ram
Todd Rundgren - The Ballad of Todd Rundgren
Todd Rundgren - Initiation
Queen - Queen
Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
Frank Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere

Plus the Stevie Wonder & Supertramp titles Eggplant listed.

The below titles would all be huge for me:

Electric Light Orchestra - ELO II
Electric Light Orchestra - El Dorado
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Paul McCartney - Ram
Todd Rundgren - The Ballad of Todd Rundgren
Todd Rundgren - Initiation
Queen - Queen
Frank Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere

Plus the Stevie Wonder & Supertramp titles Eggplant listed.

I would keel over dead if your list all got released....

I'm gonna stick to titles that were actually announced in places like the Harrison or Schwann tape guides, complete with catalog #, rather than just rumored.

Eagles - Eagles
Eagles - Desperado
Allman Brothers - Brothers & Sisters
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse
Deep Purple - Burn
J. Geils Band - Bloodshot
Isley Brothers - The Heat Is On

For unreleased 5.1, Pretzel Logic and the remaining Elton titles are at the top of my list as well.

I'm gonna stick to titles that were actually announced in places like the Harrison or Schwann tape guides, complete with catalog #, rather than just rumored.

Eagles - Eagles
Eagles - Desperado
Deep Purple - Burn

For unreleased 5.1, Pretzel Logic and the remaining Elton titles are at the top of my list as well.

WOW - Didn't know about this one!

Eagles - Eagles
Eagles - Desperado
Deep Purple - Burn

That would be a brilliant set of releases, :eek: I'd buy the lot even if each came in a box set - where or where are the Quad Masters?

Supertramp — Crime of the Century

Sjcorne in another thread just referenced this unreleased QUAD remix of Eric Clapton's E.C. WAS HERE which was supposed to be included [but was NOT] on the Eric Clapton box set of GIVE ME STRENGTH:

E.C. WAS HERE original quadraphonic mix (previously unreleased)
Mixed by Tom Dowd at Criteria Recording Studios, Miami, Florida, January 1975.
Mastered by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, New York, August 2013.
DVD Authoring: Metropolis Group, London

Eagles - Eagles
Eagles - Desperado
Deep Purple - Burn

Man, that is a primo list right there! To think some execs nixed these releases almost brings a tear to my eye. Dayuuum!

Back