Greatest Quits: Top Ten Unreleased Quad Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are all editions of Exposed SQ encoded?
The American issue LP makes no mention of quadraphonic if I remember correctly.

I learned something new today . Did not know this was also an American release. I had the UK album but sold my copy when I got the quad cd.

Are all editions of Exposed SQ encoded?
The American issue LP makes no mention of quadraphonic if I remember correctly.

FWIW the U.S. single album copy of Kevin Coyne's -In Living Black And White (on Columbia/CBS) s/b SQ encoded . Because the SQ quad UK album was an S.I. issue.

Honourable mention quad quits , but later issued in 5.1 :

The Who -Quadrophenia
David Bowie - David Live
David Bowie - Young Americans
David Bowie - Stage

Joe Travers, the Zappa "vaultmeister," has confirmed that One Size Fits All was never mixed into quad. šŸ˜„

Joe has also confirmed that FZ did complete a quad mix of Roxy and Elsewhere and that mix is in the Zappa vault.

I hope this new round of actual genuine properly done 24 bit remasters follows through with the whole catalog and especially with any original surround mixes. Obviously a little worried at seeing only the stereo version of (') in this first round. The fact that there are some deep dive titles right next to the popular ones in these first two rounds is really encouraging though. Absolutely Free was also only the stereo version released in the 2nd round. My point is if they had released it with both stereo and mono editions while releasing (') as only stereo - THAT would have been a very bad sign! But they didn't... so fingers firmly crossed!

"An SQ Quadrophonic recording."

I don't recall seeing the "Quadrophonic" spelling used on any official USA Quad albums, although my Pink Floyd SQ album (German) says "Quadrophone".

Kirk Bayne

My BASF SQ German albums say "Quadrophonie".
My Czech Supraphon Sampler says "Kvadrofonni"
My OHR German Tangerine Dream-Atem says "Quadrophonische"
My PDU Italian Ash Ra Tempel says "Quadrifonico"
My Barclay/OHR France Galactic Supermarket says "Quadra"
My Acanta/Bellaphon German Peter Thomas und Orchester says "Quadro"
My WarnerBros/Chrysalis Jethro Tull says "Quadriphonic"

How's that for some spelling .
BTW I'm sure there are others.

:)

I found my vinyl copy of Exposed. While I bought it here its actually a French Virgin records release. No mention of quadrophonic or SQ anywhere.

Some other listed Schwann catalogue quads that never got released :

Joe Walsh - So What
Jethro Tull - M.U. Best of
Black Oak Arkansas - Street Party
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Aretha Franklin - With Everything I Feel
Eddie Harris - Sings The Blues
Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado
Gordon Lightfoot - Gord's Gold
Cat Stevens - Numbers
Uriah Heep - Return To Fantasy
Z Z Top - Fandango

ƗƗƗƗ

Oh how I'd love to hear Joe Walsh's So What in quad. Hands down my favorite of Joe's solo albums. The backwards reverb on the guitar of County Fair would make Jimmy Page jealous!
Welcome to the forum; there was this KOSS LP in a type of special Quad called
Koss phase/ 2+2 Quadraphone. I have that LP, but not a super clean copy. It has the Joe Walsh song "Falling Down" from the So What album. Unfortunately the songs have strange interruptions on them. As well as some other songs (i.e. The Crusaders etc.) I need to revisit this one and see if a Surround Master decodes it in any reasonable way. I also don't have the headphones or the controller.

Here's a small QQ thread on it-
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/koss-phase-2-2.15107/
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Per...oss-A-Psycho-acoustic-Odyssey/release/5758070
1621131261610.png

1621131279479.png

Sjcorne in another thread just referenced this unreleased QUAD remix of Eric Clapton's E.C. WAS HERE which was supposed to be included [but was NOT] on the Eric Clapton box set of GIVE ME STRENGTH:

E.C. WAS HERE original quadraphonic mix (previously unreleased)
Mixed by Tom Dowd at Criteria Recording Studios, Miami, Florida, January 1975.
Mastered by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, New York, August 2013.
DVD Authoring: Metropolis Group, London

Yeah - we never got the complete stereo version on the Blu-ray either. Just on CD.

The original Dolby Surround was a diamond not a square and the surround was really a monophonic & freq limited channel (7khz max) even when played with 2 speakers. Hardly "blew everything else out of the water". As I understand it, Dolby licensed Sansui's QS and then modified it to suit their main purpose for cinema/video, not for music, since the surround was freq limited. So I have to join the disagreers on the comment.

FWIW, Dolby Digital AC3 is also limited for DVD - the 448kbps maximum bitrate is achieved purely by everything above 15kHz (I think 0 it may be a little lower) going what Dolby term as 'Unidirectional' (read 'mono' or not discrete).
You have to go to 640kbps to get 20Hz-20kHz separation, and at that rate you run into DVD spec issues so it would be better to use half bitrate DTS than AC3 (not that I am actually advocating half bitrate - it should of course always be full bitrate) but far, far too many music DVD titles use AC3.

Oh how I'd love to hear Joe Walsh's So What in quad. Hands down my favorite of Joe's solo albums. The backwards reverb on the guitar of County Fair would make Jimmy Page jealous!
I have So What in quad....gleaned from Quad Traders a while ago....PM for more info. And yes, County Fair is way cool!

Yeah - we never got the complete stereo version on the Blu-ray either. Just on CD.

I always wondered what happened with that "E C Was Here" Quadraphonic mix by Tom Dowd , that was (originally) supposed to be on the Gimme Some Strength Blue Ray set ?

Truthfully I was kinda pissed off that it was not included on the B D .

Maybe someone who has an in with UMG or Eric can find out for us.

Eric Clapton "E.C. Was Here" original quadraphonic mix (previously unreleased).
mixed by Tom Dowd at Criteria Studios , Miami Florida , January 1975.
mastered by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound , New York , August 2013.
DVD Authoring: Metropolis Group , London .

Thanks for reminding me about this missing recording (@sjcorne , @4-earredwonder , @neil wilkes) which was supposed to be included with that-
"Gimme Some Strength" bookset of CDs/BD from UMG.

I was disappointed for the false advertising of this release , but I always assumed in the positive. Whereas , it would likely get a separate release on Blue ray .
However an awful lot of time has passed since , and still no sign of this previously unreleased quadraphonic album.

:unsure:

Say @humprof you don't still have that contact at UMG do you ?

If so maybe drop them a line and find out what happened to this Eric Clapton unreleased quadraphonic album , which as mentioned above was to be included with that "Eric Clapton -Gimme Some Strength" set.
Who knows , maybe we can find out if it will get a near future release.
Worth a try.

Edit :
I'm certain many on QQ (and elsewhere) would love to see this happen.

Eric Clapton "E.C. Was Here" original quadraphonic mix (previously unreleased).
mixed by Tom Dowd at Criteria Studios , Miami Florida , January 1975.
mastered by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound , New York , August 2013.
DVD Authoring: Metropolis Group , London .

Thanks for reminding me about this missing recording (@sjcorne , @4-earredwonder , @neil wilkes) which was supposed to be included with that-
"Gimme Some Strength" bookset of CDs/BD from UMG.

I was disappointed for the false advertising of this release , but I always assumed in the positive. Whereas , it would likely get a separate release on Blue ray .
However an awful lot of time has passed since , and still no sign of this previously unreleased quadraphonic album.

:unsure:
Yup, this is some bullshit! Iā€™ve got that box and E.C Was Here is one of my fav. Clapton albums (albeit, heavily edited tunes.) It always amazed me how great his side man ā€œ Miami George Terryā€ was at playing. On the tune ā€œHave You Ever Loved A Womenā€ they trade licks, and are nearly indistinguishable. Heā€™s a very under rated player IMO.
https://www.whereseric.com/the-vault/biographies-band-members-and-collaborators/terry-george
And always loved that particular band with the gals- Yvonne Elliman & Marcy Levy. Iā€™ve also got a couple of R2R recordings of KBFH shows from around ā€˜76-ā€˜77; and Marcy sings a mind blowing version of ā€œOne Night With Youā€ that Iā€™ve never heard anywhere else. I actually emailed her about that tour and she was kind enough to answer me fan gushing over it.

Back