Greatest Quits: Top Ten Unreleased Quad Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say @humprof you don't still have that contact at UMG do you ?

If so maybe drop them a line and find out what happened to this Eric Clapton unreleased quadraphonic album , which as mentioned above was to be included with that "Eric Clapton -Gimme Some Strength" set.
Who knows , maybe we can find out if it will get a near future release.
Worth a try.

Edit :
I'm certain many on QQ (and elsewhere) would love to see this happen.

That was more of a "somebody-who-knows-somebody" situation, Fizzy--and strictly Steely Dan-related.

Just for the record, the only time the quad mix of E.C. Was Here was mentioned was on a post on the Hoffman forums that contained an early version of the press release apparently passed to the poster by some kind of "insider."

None of the official press from UMG ever indicated its inclusion - it's my feeling that the PR department probably just drafted the release based on general information provided before the project was finished (ie. they were told it's these three albums, in stereo and quad) and it turned out there was no quad mix of E.C. Was Here.

The 74-75 box set was put together with a lot of attention to detail, and they even included Scheiner's 5.1 mix (which was shelved in favour of the one released on SACD) of 461 Ocean Blvd. so it seems to me the issue of approved/unapproved released/unreleased mixes wasn't a problem. I find it hard to believe they'd ignore the sales potential of including a previously-unreleased quad mix as part of a set that was pretty extensive in scope.

Just for the record, the only time the quad mix of E.C. Was Here was mentioned was on a post on the Hoffman forums that contained an early version of the press release apparently passed to the poster by some kind of "insider."

None of the official press from UMG ever indicated its inclusion - it's my feeling that the PR department probably just drafted the release based on general information provided before the project was finished (ie. they were told it's these three albums, in stereo and quad) and it turned out there was no quad mix of E.C. Was Here.

The 74-75 box set was put together with a lot of attention to detail, and they even included Scheiner's 5.1 mix (which was shelved in favour of the one released on SACD) of 461 Ocean Blvd. so it seems to me the issue of approved/unapproved released/unreleased mixes wasn't a problem. I find it hard to believe they'd ignore the sales potential of including a previously-unreleased quad mix as part of a set that was pretty extensive in scope.

That's one way to look at it. And you could be correct in your assumption.

But that's pretty specific information provided by an insider at UMG , don't you think ?
And I do not think it was an imperative for UMG to put it on that bluray .
They had 3 surround mixes already (2 quad and 1 in 5.1).

The title is "Gimme Some Strength" not "Gimme Some Surround".

But until we can have an insider from UMG confirm that it's bogus or that it exists all the speculation in the world won't address this .

Edit

That's one way to look at it. And you could be correct in your assumption.

But that's pretty specific information provided by an insider at UMG , don't you think ?
And I do not think it was an imperative for UMG to put it on that bluray .
They had 3 surround mixes already (2 quad and 1 in 5.1).

The title is "Gimme Some Strength" not "Gimme Some Surround".

But until we can have an insider from UMG confirm that it's bogus or that it exists all the speculation in the world won't address this .

Edit

So sorry but if it was advertised then it should be there.
Universal's output is not very good in all honesty - far too many of their titles have so little content on the Blu-ray it's beyond an absurdity.
Why we get these box sets with bare minimum on the Blu-ray and all the CD content ignored - even though there is almost always plenty of room for High Res versions on the Blu?

Last edited:
..and yet there's seemingly nothing the legal team could do about the 360 offering... 🤔

I wonder if it would have been accepted if it was accompanied by a 5.1 mix ?
Nowadays we know surround remix engineers are more true to the original recording.
For myself , I never had the stereo records of those Paul Simon's. just the quads.

I wonder if it would have been accepted if it was accompanied by a 5.1 mix ?
Nowadays we know surround remix engineers are more true to the original recording.
For myself , I never had the stereo records of those Paul Simon's. just the quads.

bafflingly Fizzy, at the heart of the 360 rendition lies the Quad itself... 🧐

Ya know, considering how many surround releases especially that have been released recently with the audio nearly fully destroyed, I wonder if someone didn't just think "I bet I can put this karaoke version on a disc and half of those idiots won't even notice and think they're listening to a quad mix!"

Back