Greetings, from Auburn, CA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybee

Hi! I'm a new member, and (in case anyone is interested) here's a little about me.

I remember quadrophonic listening back in the 1970's. I couldn't afford the equipment then, but thought it was cool. Decades of audio experience later, I thought, "Hey - I wonder if those old quad recordings are available on DVD for my surround systems?" As I looked, it was hit and miss, with a lot of variations in multi-channel music material.

As it stands now, I'm finding that I like a great deal of the more modern stuff I've found on 5.1. Stick Men (and King Crimson) as well as Mary Fahl come to mind. I did find a lot of the Steve Wilson mixes, and enjoy the DVD-As that I have. Looking for more prog rock in the 5.1 format, but starting to consider downloading more of the quad material I've been running across and dumping that to reels.

Equipment

Main stereo system (for most critical listening and vinyl) is a pair of Pass Labs SR-1's driven by Adcom amps and and Adcom pre-amp. I have other amps I use sometime, mainly Rotel and Crown, as well as a DSP when I need it for multi-amping.

Main surround is Klipsch Reference Series set (RF-83 mains, RF-62 surround, RF-64 center) a Denon 3313ci. I'm not thrilled with the Klipsch set, but I do like the way they handle bass.

In my office I also have a M&K surround set that is very precise at moderate volume. Other equipment too numerous to mention.

Anyway, that should give a rough sketch of why I'm here. Will be seeing you!

Andy

Decades of audio experience later, I thought, "Hey - I wonder if those old quad recordings are available on DVD for my surround systems?" As I looked, it was hit and miss, with a lot of variations in multi-channel music material.
Sony actually did resurrect a few '70s quads on SACD during that early-2000s surround resurgence - examples include Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters, Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller, The Isley Brothers' 3+3, and The O'Jays' Ship Ahoy. It's kind of remarkable how much '70s quad material has been reissued in the years since, between the dozens of SACDs issued by Audio Fidelity and Dutton-Vocalion, Warner/Rhino's Chicago and Doobie Brothers Quadio boxes, Sony Japan's ongoing SACD reissue series with 7" packaging, etc. There are even some CBS/Sony quad mixes currently streaming on Apple Music, such as Blue Oyster Cult's Tyranny & Mutation and Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out At Night. It's a good time to be a quad fan!

Hi! I'm a new member, and (in case anyone is interested) here's a little about me.

I remember quadrophonic listening back in the 1970's. I couldn't afford the equipment then, but thought it was cool. Decades of audio experience later, I thought, "Hey - I wonder if those old quad recordings are available on DVD for my surround systems?" As I looked, it was hit and miss, with a lot of variations in multi-channel music material.

As it stands now, I'm finding that I like a great deal of the more modern stuff I've found on 5.1. Stick Men (and King Crimson) as well as Mary Fahl come to mind. I did find a lot of the Steve Wilson mixes, and enjoy the DVD-As that I have. Looking for more prog rock in the 5.1 format, but starting to consider downloading more of the quad material I've been running across and dumping that to reels.

Equipment

Main stereo system (for most critical listening and vinyl) is a pair of Pass Labs SR-1's driven by Adcom amps and and Adcom pre-amp. I have other amps I use sometime, mainly Rotel and Crown, as well as a DSP when I need it for multi-amping.

Main surround is Klipsch Reference Series set (RF-83 mains, RF-62 surround, RF-64 center) a Denon 3313ci. I'm not thrilled with the Klipsch set, but I do like the way they handle bass.

In my office I also have a M&K surround set that is very precise at moderate volume. Other equipment too numerous to mention.

Anyway, that should give a rough sketch of why I'm here. Will be seeing you!

Andy
Yeah, for good or for bad, you're one of us.;) Welcome Andy!

Back